A very different lodge and location from the other two safari camps run by the Orient /Express, but nonetheless wonderful in terms of the comfort and service provided. It is only accessible by light aircraft which makes the venue feel excitingly remote. The view from the lounge/restaurant area is of water and reeds with the occasional hippo rising up for air. As we walked out of our room (during the day - you don't do this unaccompanied at night) we had to retreat to make way for an enormous elephant thundering down the path in front of us. High quality rooms, with his and hers vanity units and very comfortable beds. The all inclusive deal meant we hardly stopped eating and the evening meals were of particular note, very necessary after a hard day safari-ing. Activities here are mainly waterbound - speed boat to view hippo and croc and a tranquil punt through reeds in a traditional mokoro - plus a helicopter ride and a walking safari. No, we didn't bump into a lion but it was always a possibility which gave the walk an extra edge - we did see wildebeest and impala as well as elephants.
- Also Known As:
- Eagle Island Camp By Orient-Express Hotel
- Eagle Island Camp By Orient-Express Hotel Okavango Delta
- Eagle Island Camp Botswana/Okavango Delta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden from the world, deep within Botswana's Okavango Delta, is the paradise we call Eagle Island Camp. Situated on the island of Xaxaba and surrounded by Illala Palms, the camp overlooks a surrounding lagoon fed by the tranquil waterways of the Delta. The area offers exceptionally high quality wildlife viewing with prolific birdlife and mammal sightings. It is also the site of one of the most romantic bars in the world, the Fish Eagle Bar, as voted by New York Times. The camp offers a cool retreat from the African sun and is shaded by a canopy of indigenous trees. Xaxaba is one of the Delta's most pristine natural locations, a region of myriad waterways, palm-treed islands and vast flood plains. Bird and animal life in this region is prolific. The camp offers game viewing by mokoro (traditional dugout canoe), motorised boats and a 14-seater Sundowner cruiser. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jetsetter so you can book your Eagle Island Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.