“A very pleasant surprise . . .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Halona

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zuni
Inn at Halona
You added Inn at Halona to your Saves list
23b Pia Mesa Road, Zuni, NM 87327   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Zuni B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“A very pleasant surprise . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We reserved at the Inn at Halona sight unseen and without the benefit of Trip Advisor reveiws as we chose it from the back of a tourist guide as we were driving towards El Moro. This is not your usual B&B and Zuni is not your usual vacation spot. But if you are looking for an authentic Pueblo experience and comfortable, welcoming accommodations this place will make you happy. The Inn is a treat along with its quirky French innkeeper who will inform and entertain you with Zuni history and the history of his family ties to the area. Aside from Roger, the only entertainment is what you make for yourself ( unless you are lucky enough to be there when the Zuni are celebrating and you can watch the dancing). You'll feel very comfortable walking around the Pueblo - the Zuni people are friendly and interested in you. Get dinner from the next door market and enjoy it in the Inn's courtyard. Don't miss the blue corn pancakes for breakfast. And spend some money there supporting local artists.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Inn at Halona several times and it has now become my favorite get-away spot. When your 16 yr-old son says, "This place is SO cool!:" you know you have a gem...and that it is! Roger personally sees the guests to their rooms and he is so much fun to talk to. The staff are as pleasant as can be. You get to CHOOSE what you have for breakfast which is a winner with me! (And I definitely recommend the Blue Corn Pancakes!) The ambiance of the rooms is beyond description. Just know that if you want to forget the troubles of the world or just have a friendly stop over with local flair, this is the place!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-5 are in the main house (where breakfast is served) so you just have to come out of your roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pie Town, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We just got home and have already made reservations for our return visit. This is a treasure. While some travellers might not care to stay in the heart of a pueblo, we feel extremely fortunate to have had this unusual opportunity. The staff was warm, genuine and helpful, without being intrusive. Roger, the owner, gave us the run of the place when he showed us to our room. "Make yourself at home", and we did. Warning: breakfast is hearty - forget your diet. Everything was homemade and fresh. Immaculately kept rooms w/lots of authentic history. A perfect ending to a visit to El Morro National Monument. We own/operate a B&B and this is one of the places we'll be referring our clients to!

Room Tip: Room 3 is right off the kitchen. If you are not an early riser, ask for a room in the annex.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Utila, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Friendly and funky! The history contained in the rooms and common area is amazing, like going to a museum! The breakfast prepared for you is excellent and the cooks friendly and helpful (as well as excellent cooks!).

Come here for the experience and pack lightly for the treasure filled rooms. There is also a nice common area as well as outdoor seating.

Room Tip: Next time we go, I would like to stay in one of the upper "treehouse" rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay in Zuni pueblo, but only for those willing to adapt to the realities of staying in an Indian pueblo. The rooms are excellent and the breakfast is incredible. If you want a personable place with helpful staff, lots of food, right in the midst of an incredibly historic area, this is it. It is peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Show Low, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Roger, the Inn Keeper, is the only person I know who seems to send a smile in his emails, each like speaking to a kind friend, and he is just as kind in person. Staff shared their fun & friendship every day. I stayed 1 night in RM#1 and 2 nights in RM#4 (the adult tree house). Each room make me smile...and relax. Fully decorated with Zuni pictures, blankets, rugs, colorful bedding and comfortable beds (I know for sure because of my many naps!). Loved the cat, PT, but would ask at other B&B because of family allergies. Being served breakfast an absolute delight. My plain old fruit cocktail at home will never look the same! Portions are large and tasty & lots of choices. Grocery store next door fully stocked and fun happy staff. Met folks from NY, ND, TX & AZ & northern NM. Couple from NM recommended the Blue Corn Pancakes YUMMY!
I've live within 100 miles and been here before so I just rested this time.
Not a 5 star Hotel..its a homey, educational, affordable piece of New Mexico culture. Colorful & above all kind & peaceful.

Room Tip: All rooms fairly small but comfy. Very colorful & fun. Both beds I used very comfortable. Hai...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I wanted to visit Zuni Pueblo as a great ancestor of mine was there in 1660 as a Captain of the Spanish military. I was excited to learn that I could actually stay within the Pueblo at the Inn of Halona. I booked a room two months in advance. The young woman who made my reservation was extremely helpful, describing the most suitable rooms for my cousin and myself age 70. We settled on room 22 as it had a private bath and two separate beds, although upstairs. The Inn is wonderful! The room had one full bed and a chair that made into a bed which was extremely comfortable. The upstairs opened onto a patio deck which overlooked several other tree covered patios. There are lounge chairs where we took a siesta in the afternoon breeze.
It is a wonderful inn which includes a full breakfast to order. It is family run by a transplanted Frenchman whom I believe, married a Zuni woman. Very unpretentious but so comfortable, reasonable, and exceptionally clean, especially considering the constant wind and dust swirling around – they even have a koi pond in one of their several tree-shaded patios. I arrived during Zuni's Summer Solstice religious event and was allowed to watch a group of “special” select religious men enter the village on their return from a 50 mile, four day walking trek to and from their sacred place. Normally, there are tours available within the pueblo and you check in at the visitor center.
I recommend the Inn at Halona to everyone seeking the experience in staying in the heart of Zuni Pueblo. And, wanting to have a stay at a most unusual location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Halona? Share your experiences!