“great location but terrible service and amenities! STAY AWAY!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of White's City Cavern Inn

White's City Cavern Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whites City
White's City Cavern Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Carlsbad Caverns Hwy., Whites City, NM 88268   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Whites City
San Antonio, Texas
“great location but terrible service and amenities! STAY AWAY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

the only reason we stayed at this place was to see the carlsbad caverns...there was only one attendant at the hotel, non-existent room service and the worst part was the rooms they gave us were unmade!! had to go back and forth twice across the street to the receptionist's because he was alone and had to stay at his post so he could not help us! the frurnishings were old and the toilet had no flush!! it was a horrible stay!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Savannah, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Terrible experience and Ripped off! Arrived too late for the cave and stopped here to stay the night. They were all to happy to take my money and send me off to a room in a hotel that was across the street. This hotel (across the street) looked abandoned and as we entered our room, it was freezing cold (about 20-30 deg). We turned on the heat to find out it was barely working and not producing any heat (I think just the fan was running). Then we discovered the there was no water either! We notified them and they remarked that THEY ALREADY KNEW this!!!! I would have been nice of them to disclose this before renting us the room. We ended up leaving and they refused to refund our money saying that they don't have to refund for "inconveniences" such as no heat and no running water. We ended up driving into town for a hotel with heat and running water.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Cruces, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I took my Girl Scout troop to Carlsbad this summer. We requested adjoining rooms and permission to have extra people in the room so we could all be in the two rooms together - that part was fine.

The registration process took forever which was annoying with 9 ansty girls who just had a 3 hour drive, but we survived. We can't all be rocket scientists I guess.

Our stay was ok - water was lukewarm, the carpets are not exactly clean, the water park is so run down it's pitiful.

But the part that makes me furious happened after our stay. My daughter had taken a cloth bag with little toy aliens she had collected to play with the other girls. In the hullaballoo of getting all the girls and all their stuff out, she forgot it. Her fault, I know, but she's a kid. We called the hotel later that day when we discovered it and the desk clerk called housekeeping and yes they had found it. Excellent! I was excited they'd really looked. I gave my address and told them to charge the credit card I'd used for the room to pay for shipping them to us. A week later they hadn't arrived so we called again - I got a "manager" who said she'd look into it when that staff person came in and call me back at 3:00 that day. She never called. I called again and she didn't take my call.

In the end, my daughter didn't get her toys back that we KNOW they had found. The worst part is that they lied about it and then wouldn't take my calls. With that kind of customer service I would not recommend anyone go there.

• Stayed June 2009
Houston TX, Elkhart Lake WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

Where to start !

Location is superb, immediately outside Carlsbad Caverns.
End of the good news.

Read on, but stay away...
We called ahead and asked about which of the two lodging options then on their website were best for us. I was told that one was totally booked for 12 months by an oil concern so we booked the other. I also asked whether their pool/water park would be open and they stated that it would depend on the weather as this was a mid-March trip. I called twice and both times the folks on the phone were extremely helpful and nice.

However, when we arrived, no more than two weeks later, we could easily see that the one lodging option that was supposedly booked by the oil concern had been gutted by fire and segregated off by a chain link fence that had been there so long it was rusting away in place. Certainly this had happened long ago. We also saw that the pool/waterpark was closed and dry. Upon inquiry we were told that it was closed to be brought into compliance with a "new state regulation" that was "very involved". When we got to our next hotel, Inn of the Governors, a 4-5 star in Santa Fe, they informed us that there was no such "new state regulation".

The parking lot had recently been blacktopped and was very nice. The building clearly showed it's age, concrete on the stairs was chipped out and missing. The room was dismal dark, and dank. Although how you can be dank in a desert is still a mystery. This is a poor quality, a one star kind of place. The sink and tub drains did not work. The hot water went from ice cold to scalding hot with no notice, and this was with an essentially empty hotel, so it presumably wasn't others turning the water on and off.

One couple we met the next morning stated that their tub didn't meet up against the wall and the drain actually drained to the floor so that they flooded their room before they could stop the water. They stated that they did what they could to clean it up, but in the end decided just to walk away.

Now the restaurant. There were two options. One was a sit down kind of place, old and run down. The lights were not on and presumably didn't work, we could barely read the menu. The menu was all steaks and potatoes starting at about $25 a plate as memory serves. We went to the other side of the kitchen and went to the more family friendly diner type of place next door.

We were actually lucky, our food came out slowly, but it did arrive. Food quality was exceedingly poor, but it was edible, just barely. Cost was amusement park level expensive.

We watched the staff and just had to enjoy the show. There were a total of 5 tables being served. One poor table ordered just before we did, we overhead their order and saw their order come out and sit under the warming lights for the entire time we were eating and it was still there when we left. Watching the staff was like watching the keystone cops. Even when that poor table told the staff to look under the warming lights they could not get their dinner served. It was indeed quite a show.

I think that Mr. White, after whom White's City is named must be turning over in his grave.

A truely awesomely bad experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
CONNECTICUT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Skip this place and travel the extra 25 miles to Carlsbad, where for less money, you have choices for lodging and dining. Most of the facilities for this place were not operating at the time of our stay (late september 2009). Pool-closed for renovations, bar/saloon-closed, steak house restaurant-only open thursday thru sunday, and of course, we stayed monday thru wednesday. The only restaurant in this tiny town was a cafeteria style place, not very clean and quite outdated. A light was out over the sink, and on request, it was replaced right away. When I blow-dried my hair, two large dead moths fell out of the light overhead. The room was huge, but not nicely decorated-sink is outdated and the bathroom is no bigger than that on a cruiseship. The staff was very nice and friendly and you can't beat the location to the Caverns, but this tired old place that could be a gold mine has a long way to go.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

My fiance and I traveled throughout the southwest over the summer of 2007 and stayed at many hotels along the way. In our travels, we decided to go to Carlsbad Caverns on a whim. We decided to stay at this motel since it was close and right on the way to the caverns. Where to begin... The hotel looks like something you would find in the old west back in the cowboy days and has not changed since. We got just a basic room and were terrified when we opened the door. The room was filthy with dead bugs on the floor, stains on the sheets, and a smell that was awful. To put it in blunt terms, I laid a towel from the bathroom on the bed rather than lay under the covers. There was a large group of high school students there on some sort of tour. They were loud and then some of them got into a fight breaking the windows and such. Needless to say, we were out of there first thing in the morning and were glad to be. We weren't expecting much since it was a motel but thought since it was a best western that it may be decent. We were so wrong. On a follow up survey, we were given a free night to come back and try again which we never used and never plan on using ever. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. Take a hint from all of the other reviews on the site and go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Loved the caverns, didn't have a whole lot going on in the town if you can call it that.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

Been to White's City Cavern Inn? Share your experiences!