“A little slice of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grootbos Private Nature Reserve

You added Grootbos Private Nature Reserve to your Saves list
Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   R43 Between Stanford and Gansbaai, Grootbos Private Nature Reserve 7220, South Africa   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A little slice of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family of 4 spent 3 nights in 2 Forest suites and had an unforgettable time. We were really sad to leave Grootbos.

The Lodge Rooms are out of this world with stunning views all the way down to the sea. As soon as we got there we popped open a bottle of wine and lay on the balcony just looking at the majesty of the landscape. So relaxing and quiet. You have complete privacy on your balcony, no-one overlooking you. The lounge is massive and the bedroom and bathroom luxurious. I normally prefer showers but I had 3 evening baths here whilst watching the sunset through the floor to ceiling windows. Amazing. there was a second shower room as well and a lovely wood burning stove which was lit for us at night for our return from dinner.

The food here was also of a high standard but perhaps a little too fussy at times . Lunch options were our favourite over the evening 6 course meal which sometimes was limited in its choice. Breakfasts were buffet style and catered for all tastes.

The staff at Grootbos is one of the things that makes this place so great. Because there are not too many guests staying there even at full capacity the staff talk to you by your name and are always friendly and chatty. Our barman Bennett was lovely and ended up knowing my husband would want a Peroni beer before he asked. Also Priscilla and Thelma in the restaurant were professional and courteous through and through and so nice to talk to. And then Clayton who was one of Grootbos' Field Guides. He took us out 3 times and was just great. Friendly, informative and we learnt so much from him. We thought he was great.

The trips offered by Grootbos are incredible and all included in the room price:
The Ancient Cave visit was fascinating. The Flower Safari was really interesting the way Clayton did it and a stop for juice and cookies half way round with a view to kill for was a nice touch. The shark diving (an optional payable excursion) was fun and we were dropped and picked up by Clayton who was happy to wait until we had stopped chatting to the Shark people and were ready to go back to Grootbos. The horesriding with Sam was great as we are all novices so I was quite anxious about the trek but I ended up thoroughly loving it and my son returned the following morning for another ride. There is riding for experienced riders as well so all abilities are catered for.

So really this is a "no-brainer" it might be expensive but it is worth every penny and we hope one day that we will be able to return to this little slice of Paradise.

Room Tip: rooms 21 and 22 are nearer to the main areas than others so if you don't like walking too far th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Grootbos...no words to describe my experience here. I drove up the road in the midst of fog on a rainy day. By the time I reached the lodge, there was a porter waiting with an umbrella. This truly brought a smile to my face as the walk to the reception would have had me soaked.

The welcome itself at the reception with warm beaming smiles...no rushed check in ...in fact they sat me down for lunch first. Warm bread and soup on a cold misty day. They even had the fireplace up and running. Once they felt I had settled in...I was very subtly joined by Christoff my guide for the stay. He quickly ran me through the options for the day and then led me to my room.

I had enough time to freshen up and was then taken around the property to see their conservation effort...truly fantastic. As they say give a man a fish he'll eat one day, teach him to fish he'll eat forever. At Grootbos they run programs to teach the local the art of gardening, shop keeping and various other studies so that they can be self reliant. I really found this to be the highlight of my trip.

The room itself was modern but cozy. I got a room at the Garden Lodge. It had its own deck overlooking the bay. I believe you can see whales during the season. I see no reason to doubt that. The location is fantastic. The room also has a living room, a pantry area, walk in closet, the large bedroom with air conditioning and a large bathroom. I must mention the fireplace in the living room that kept the entire room warm in the cold wet weather,

This lodge in particular is great for families. the activities include whale watching, shark diving,horse riding, nature walks, flights over the bay and many more things to keep you occupied.

The location of the property enables one to also look the option of doing all the activities of the Cape right here. To list them

1. Cape Agulhas- The actual southern tip of Africa. Not the touristy Cape Point. The real thing.
2. Seals. Just off Gaansbaai 4 kms down the road
3. Whales, Gaansbaai and Hermanus. Grootbos has the first vessel out as priority. So another star for them
4. Sharks: As above. Shark cage diving can be done right here.
5. Penguins a short drive to Stoney Point at Betty's Bay. On R44 heading back to Cape Town.
6. Wines: Walker's Bay. 20 minutes drive.
7. Golf. A few minutes drive away.

There are enough activities for all ages and enough hospitality to last a lifetime.

The food...to die for. I have never had better and fresher food in my life. Straight from the gardens or the meat from the farms. This place has it all sorted and fresh. Its like plucking and eating on the spot. The chefs here do a marvelous 6 course dinner and a scrumptious lunch. The breakfast sets the pace for the day. Wonderful.

Most importantly the staff here is extremely hospitable and a warm visit by the owner, Michael, who checks in on each of the guests is truly memorable.

Thank you Grootbos for an amazing night. It definitely was not enough. I promise to be back soon and with my family.

Truly fantastic not just for the expereince but also comfort and the way they give back to the community. Its all heart.

Room Tip: I was in room 7 close to the special parking for the rooms. I would suggest this. Though I did not g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

grootbos Private Nature Reserve is an amazing place to be in. Staying there is an learning and unforgettable experience. The rooms were spacious. It had a small pool type area in the balcony. The bathroom has big tub, two shower areas, and a double sink stand. There is a big changing plus cabinet area and an attached living room.

The resturant of the resort serves organic food that is cultivated in its own farms. The poor and needy women are given the opportunity to farm in these lands to earn a living. Since I am from the eastern world I found less options to in the menu. But the chef gave me speacial attention and prepared food personally of my choice which was deeply appreciated.

My husband and I went to take four into four wheel ride to the resort's milk forest. It was big and we could see quite a lot of small and medium sized animals. It was basically a botanical oriented forest.

We also took a trip of the entire reserve. The reserve had shopping area where we could bargain at good prices. There was a small school for the children in the reserve and a big play field for the same.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My friend and I stayed only one night in Grootbos Private Reserve (Garden Lodge)

The facilities are beautiful and the service excellent.

There are loads of activities to do. We only managed to visit the 80,000y old caves but that was interesting.

Next time we'll do the horseback riding and game viewing.

We would definitely return!

• Stayed April 2013
cape town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A mere 2,5 hours from Cape Town - along what is known as the Whale Route, nestled above the fynbos vegetation and with magnificent sea and mountain views, you'll find a well designed, natural accommodation offering for families / couples / friends and wedding options.

I stayed in Garden Lodge - indeed a garden of birds, insects, unique vegetation and plentiful natural night sounds.

The main lodge has a stunning pool area tucked away on the side and the dining facilities compliment the surroundings - everywhere you'll have some view of the vista and ocean.

Value added activities make this a worthwhile trip - horse riding / cave wandering / nature talks and walks / community visits / beach walks / picnics - and of course luxury rooms

Many families were around during the Easter weekend, however everyone had a space without feeling overwhelmed by each other. Breakfast / Lunch and Dinner is included - and sumptuous - deliciously prepared with tantalising presentations

Staff are knowledgeable and service orientated - our 'Ranger' was superb - she had extensive knowledge of the area and it was fascinating listening to her stories of nature and history.

Stayed in Garden Room 5 - very private with great views from the deck - 2 bedrooms - ideal to share with family and friends - little kitchenette with tea / coffee facilities and a mini bar / great fireplace that warmed up the room - not that it was needed but tempting not light / TV was a welcome break after dinner to relax to.

Room Tip: Room 5 and 6 are further away from the lodge and in a more quiet space if that is your thing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

That combination you never believe you will find of perfect service, passionate and knowledgeable guides and idyllic location. Bliss. Great views of mountains and sea whether from your lodge, where the open fire is an added bonus to warm up early evening, or from the main lodge deck and bar, where the fruit cocktail is a must have, or from your dinner table, where the food is just perfect combined with a local wine recommended by Ermelo, perfection.
You must do the cave trip & the nature reserve drive, the guides are excellent, especially Jo and Berthram. Take the time to look at the other work they do on the farm, it is not just an indulgence for a lucky few.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Only spent one night here wish it was longer. The location is in the bush very quiet and very secluded The staff were excellent and very knowledgeable. The lodges were spacious and well equipped. Open fire places in the lodges and main area add to the ambiance of the resort. A wonderful place to relax or if inclined take part in the many included activities

Room Tip: A lodge close to the main building saves walking too far in poor weather conditions.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!