“Great adventure” 5 of 5 stars

+27 28 384 1418
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the timewhen Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 ton.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observedand photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years, and has only had6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
7 attraction reviews
“Great adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I went cage diving with my bestfriend in South Africa. We wanted to dive with this company because Brian does a lot for the sharks. The crew on the boat had so much love and respect for the sharks and they told us alot about them. We went in the cage,it was so cold,but exiting at the same time. The whole cage is not under water so you can decide yourself when to go under water. We saw 6 different sharks and it was one of the best experiences i have ever had. Its good that we can go see them where they belong and not in enclosures.

Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hi Tonje!

Thank you so much for choosing us for your Great White Shark diving experience. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you'll be back for another visit soon!

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Absolutely unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Full disclosure up front....I've been dreaming of this experience since I was 5 and watched jaws for the first time and wouldn't take a bath alone until I was 7.

I planned out trip to South Africa for almost a year. We had tons of things planned for this trip but seeing a white shark with Brian was the reason for the whole trip. I'm sure Jurita and Chrissie answered at least 100 emails from me, if not more.

You can imagine my feeling when, on the day we were flying out from Canada, we learned that our four days of dives had been cancelled due to weather. Apparently, 6 metre swells are a little too rough to be able to get out...lol.

I spoke with them just prior to us leaving for the airport. And I was promised that everything would be done that could possibly be done to get out.

Upon arrival in South Africa I was informed that the weather had not changed but they would keep me informed. This is where Brian's company really set themselves apart.

These guys bent over backwards to ensure I got out. They even made arrangements with an operator out of mossel bay to get me out in case the weather didn't improve. All the days that I had originally scheduled got cancelled. But I had a couple days free on the back end of our time in South Africa.

Jurita and Chrissie I really want to thank you for everything you did for me, including dealing with my frantic emails when I thought I might have travelled 12000 kms and not been able to realize my life long dream. Words cannot express my feeling towards you two. Thank you for everything from the bottom of my heart. Your dedication to customer service is truly amazing. I mean who organizes a whole new trip with another operator in an area hundreds of miles away on a dime for a guy they've never met? Unbelievable!

Well I made a decision. I knew that I wanted to dive with white sharks and I knew I wanted to do it with Brian at dyer island. I rolled the dice and the weather cooperated. We got out on our second last day in South Africa. And oh boy...what a time I had.

The shuttle service picked us up in camps bay at 07:50. Our driver was amazing...a lot of fun and had all kinds of great stories. The people we shared our transfer with were amazing too. We chatted during outer trip out but definitely bonded on our way back to Cape Town.

The drive out to Kleinbaai/Gansbaai was long, but pretty. The anticipation was killing me.

We were treated at Brian's place with hot drinks and a great breakfast. My wife has terrible food allergies to gluten and dairy and there was a lot for her to eat...awesome bonus.

Had a quick briefing and out to the dock to watch the boat get launched. My blood was pumping...I could not wait. We blasted waves on the way out, the boat honestly is comfortable and stable. I've seen bigger seas in the N. Atlantic off cape Breton where my family is from that weren't handled as well as this. Brian is some great great skipper b'ys.

We got out to the dive site, cage dumped and chumming before the boat was anchored..lol.

Who's up first was asked...no hesitation here. Wet suit on and let's go! I was grinning from ear to ear and then some. Down I went...the water was surprisingly warm. The dives were amazing. Brian was amazing to listen too... A true professional. The way our boat was positioned compared to the others that day....well sometimes you just know when you're out with a professional. Wish I could have listened to more but I was there to see sharks. We saw 15 different sharks total that day. Two being monsters at or over 15 feet. Had 4 sharks at the boat at once one time....simply amazing. I had three dives in total and could have stayed there forever. The food on the boat was ample. Tons of sandwiches, chips/crisps, water and pop/soda. What an amazing amazing time. We steamed back after about 4-5 hours dive time and making for about a 6 hr trip. Tons of great pics and some cool kg pro video that I will cherish.

Steamed back and docked...got some pics with the skipper that are going to be wall mounters on the man cave wall along side my pics with bob probert and Bobby Orr.

Chrissie met me out on the dock to make sure I had a good time....good time? Again this is a time where words could not express my feelings. I could've cried. 15 sharks, some big sharks and a find day nose to nose with the greatest predator on earth.....yeah I was happy.

Hot soup and drinks upon return and stories being swapped between a bunch of tourists that shared something truly special that day.

I can't express my thankfulness that I have for Brian and his staff.

Truly a top notch experience from beginning to end.

The only thing I missed was not getting out on my original days because of weather...but I got out 1 day and that experience was so great it can never be replaced.....well....until I come back.

I have alot of pennies to save, but we will be back to South Africa....so Brian, you can't ever hang em up until this crazy Canuck makes it back.

Thank you Jurita - you are amazing, thank you Chrissie - you almost made this 240 lb muscle head cry on the dock upon our return...it means so much to me that you thought about me that much. And thank you Brian... You and you crew fulfilled a lifetime dream of mine. I truly hope to be back to see you all again.

First class....all the way.

Visited June 2014
What a fantastic review, thank you so much Whiskeynewf!

We are so happy that we could accommodate you in the end and that you could enjoy the experience with us. We truly hope that you will be back again soon and that the weather plays along the next time you're here!

Best Regards and see you soon.
Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Shark diving extraordinaire!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

How's it Brian, I've had the most extraordinary shark diving trips this week!
I especially like the great white female I named patches, because of a square of pokadots on her
Tail! The crew was awesome, I will treasure the video always! This is my 5, 6th shark dive and the best ones yet. Dankie von Kanada

Visited June 2014
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Howzit from SA Fischhunter!

So glad you enjoyed the trip! Love the name patches, hope you'll be back to visit again soon and hopefully see her again!

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers
Lincoln, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Great adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Really great experience; well looked after. Breakfast before the trip and lunch after were provided.
Great crew; really friendly. We moved from one spot to another to ensure we saw the great white sharks.
My only issue was sea sickness! Having to get into the wetsuit on board was quite difficult but overall fab trip!

Visited June 2014
Hi Carly! Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We are glad you enjoyed your trip, save for the sea sickness. We do always advise our guests to be sure to take sea sickness tablets before joining us on a trip as most people take a while to getused to the ebb & sway.

We hope to see you again soon when back in SA.

Kind regards
Team GWST

P.S. Remember those motion sickness meds next time!
“The most amazing experience of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

One word: AMAZING!!
everyone was really kind and helpfull and they gave us a lot of information about the sharks and their environment. I felt save the whole trip!

Visited June 2014
Thank you for the review Renee! We're glad that you found the trip informative and our staff will be glad to hear that you enjoyed their company. We hope you'll return for another trip soon!

Kind Regards