“Amazing Tour!” 5 of 5 stars

+27 28 384 1418
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the timewhen Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 ton.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observedand photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years, and has only had6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
London, Canada
“Amazing Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This tour is well worth every penny!
$150 Canadian per person essentially got me Round trip shuttle to the Gansbaai, Breaky, Snack, Lunch, 40 Minutes in the Cage and an amazing time! The Extras were seeing Whales, Shark Alley and the million seals that live on those Islands which I didn't expect!
We loved it so much we got the video which we NEVER buy but this one was well worth the money.
Brian McFarlane was our captain which was like meeting a movie star for me since I love Great White Shark Documentaries. This was a dream come true for myself and my husband and it was an amazing time thanks to the great staff and the order and delivery of the tour.

Thank You!

Visited October 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Awesome Shark Dive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Being from the states you always see Discovery Channel promote shark week every August, and we when were going to South Africa earlier this year, we had to go shark diving if given the chance. Our our second to last day in Cape Town, we made the trek to Gansbaai and had an incredible experience shark diving. The sharks come right up to the cage, and your instinct is to reach out and pet them at first, but then you remember these are Great White Sharks in the wild and that these creatures are just incredibly dangerous when provoked. But it was a great experience and would do many times over. Sharks are such an incredible creature that are still completely unknown to us.

Visited May 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for joining us on the trip Drew, hope to see you, when you are back in SA again!

London
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Everything about the tour was perfect - the crew are very professional & really put you at ease, explaining how it all works & making it very safe to get in & out of the cage. They all help with equipment like putting on weight belts, so it really doesn't matter if you have no experience at all.
And the sharks! We saw lots of Great Whites, very close & the way they attract the sharks & work with them seems very professional & low impact. I was worried about this put had no concerns on the day; they are very respectful & educational.
The boat is excellent too, lots of room & each person has their own locker which is a great touch. There were 37 people on my tour which I thought might be too many, but the boat easily accommodated us all.
Highly recommended!

Visited October 2013
Glad you enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you for writing a review for us!

London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“More sharks than you can shake a seal cut out at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Skipper brian was great, boat not too full, cage and equipment all very good, but the best bit was the ease and professional way in which the sharks were 'encouraged' to come to the boat. I realise trips like this possibly are less than ideal for the sharks but the company acted in a very humane and professional way throughout. 13 great whites later and I have to say it was a fantastic, must do, bucket list of an experience and even my less than shark mad wife agreed and loved the cage diving. All in all I can't recommend this highly enough and it felt like very good value for the duration of the trip and number of sharks we saw.

Visited December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing to go with us! Come again soon!

Team GWS
Where I am
29 attraction reviews
“Professional crew”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The weather had been quite bad for a long stretch so on the day of my booking, there was a huge group (about 30), mostly made up of people who had to be rescheduled and many who were flying out that day. The driver for the transfer was on time (actually early and I hope the door bell ringing twice didn't disturb any of the other guests). He made two stops - one for a stretch break and one in an attempt to see whales (no luck) - on the way to Kleinbaai. This is an incredibly professional company and I never felt unsafe at any time.

The water was considered to be quite calm comparatively when we were out but the boat was rolling continuously during the four hours. Do yourself and everyone else on the boat a favour - TAKE SOMETHING FOR MOTION SICKNESS BEFORE GETTING ON THE BOAT. Unless you normally spend considerable time on the water in small boats (not cruise ships), take something whether you think you need it or not. Better safe than sorry. Once someone starts, it's like a chain reaction. Hats off to the crew who were prepared for sick people and quite patient and kind.

Because there were so many people in our group, we ended go up being in the last (4th) group. We had less sightings and due to the large number of sick people on the boat, couldn't wait for more sightings (length of time in the cage is determined by sightings not by minutes). I admit, while I understood their reasoning, I was disappointed by that and that no one had a second opportunity to go in the cage. It's the luck of the draw and these are wild animals, but I would have liked more of an opportunity. On our day, the best position in the cage was definitely the far left (back of the boat).

Typically, and this was mentioned on our outing, you also have time to perhaps see some whales and/or seals. Again, with the all the sick people on board, we just hightailed it back to the dock. I had also looked forward to that opportunity.

I realize that there is some luck involved, but I was a little disappointed with my experience (but only a little) and that's what kept me from rating it as a "5". I might do it again, but I would ensure that I went out with a much smaller group.

Visited September 2013
Thank you so much for choosing us and we hope to welcome you on another trip soon!

Kind Regrads