“AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 20 attractions in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the timewhen Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 ton.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observedand photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years, and has only had6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
London, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We loved our shark diving experience, it was the most amazing cold experience I will ever stay cold for! It was so relaxed and enjoyable and the food was so tasty after a day of diving! The crew knew some of the sharks which was quite nice to hear about how they have tacked the where abouts of a few, they are very passionate about their job, it was lovely to hear. I would definitely do it again and I know my boyfriend would too, I would recommend everyone to do this experience at least once in your life.

Visited April 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed the trip CatJens and we're sorry that you were cold, our ocean's water does tend to be a bit chilly around here, which is why the sharks love it so much.

Hope to see you again.

Regards

Paris, France
39 attraction reviews
“Bucket List....check!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Diving with the Great White Sharks with the Shark Cage Diving Company was one of the coolest things we have ever done! We were lucky enough to have Brian McFarlane on our trip! Our hotel in Cape Town (The Blackheath Lodge..amazing too), recommended this diving company and we were not disappointed. While on the dive, we noticed other diving companies in the area and we felt like our boat and diving cage looked stronger and sturdier than the others...which made us very happy! A van from the diving company picked us up at our hotel early in the morning. The van made about 3 stops to pick up additional divers. When we arrived at the Shark Cage Diving Company, we were given a light breakfast and a safety overview. We purchased a water proof camera but the water ended up not to be clear enough for underwater pictures. There is a place to change into and out of your swimming suit on site. They provide you with a nice warm coat for the boat ride which came in handy. Some of the members of our family took dramamine for the boat ride and some of us did not. Perhaps you should bring some along and see how turbulent the sea is on the day you go. The dive itself is amazing! We saw several sharks, "close up and personal", the day we dove and we were able to go into the cage two to three different times. You can also go on the boat ride and not dive if you prefer. Even if you stay on the boat you are able to see the sharks quite clearly. I was a bit afraid as I entered the cage and wanted to "chicken out". I seemed to forget everything I had previously been taught during the safety overview! Thanks to an amazing crew, they encouraged me to stay in the water and quickly reminded me where to put my feet, etc.....and I am so glad I did. We all loved our time on the boat and in the cage. It was an experience we will never forget!

Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We booked with Great White Shark Tours after reading reviews on TA. As previously mentioned, they are not the cheapest, but definitely the best. Pick up from Cape Town hotel was early (about 5am) but it meant we were at Gansbai having breakfast and a briefing by 8.30am. Our transfer driver was friendly and polite and set the tone for the whole day. The boat was large and was one of the most impressive we saw whislt out at sea. It took a while for the sharks to come, but plenty of snacks and drinks to keep you occupied whilst you admire the beautiful scenery. The staff were professional and friendly and were clearly old hands at this. They knew what they were doing and we felt 100% safe at all times. Dive time in the cage was ample, and we did not feel rushed at any point. Would thoroughly recommend this company. A+.

Visited April 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review and for choosing us! Be sure to visit us again when you are back in SA!

Best Wishes
Richmond Hill Ontario
3 attraction reviews
“There is a reason they are ranked #1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading many reviews here on Trip Advisor, I decided to choose Great White for my first experience with Sharks - I was not dissapointed. Apart from getting up at 5.30 am for my 6.10am pick up - everything was perfect.

This is not the cheapest option in town, but I would argue it is probably the best value if you are looking for experience (and a large boat). Staff were friendly and knowledgable and food/drink was plentyfull (water, sandwiches, chips, power bars, and even some candy which helps if you are feeling a little sea sick).

Today we had 18 on the boat (about 1/2 capacity) so plenty of options to jump in the cage to see the Great Whites. Be prepared for a visit to see the seals - fantastic but the smell is something I guarantee you will never forget.

The team take their job seriously but still have fun with the tourists. Great t-shirts available post trip ($150 R) and the video of the day is a little touristy ($250 R) but much better than renting an underwater camera and taking a few shots while trying to keep yourself underwater.

Best views of the sharks is achieved by getting as far down in the cage as possible (ie sit at bottom). Wetsuits are great at keeping you warm, although a little tough to get on (and off).

Overall the trip is worth the loss of sleep - crossed it off the bucket list.

CC

Visited May 2013
Thank you so much for choosing us and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope you will return for another trip very soon!

Regards
Oslo, Norway
29 attraction reviews
“What a day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

There are several companies offering Great White shark diving. I chose this because of the money back guarantee, nice boat, good homepage, excellent TA reviews and safety record.

Drove to Kleinsbaai by my self. Were a bit early, but were welcomed and the fixed me up with some coffee. The first hour of so is for paper work, safety instructions, and a light breakfast.

The Apex Predator was a nice boat. There were almost no waves the day we went. After the chumming we had to wait before the Great Whites appeared. In total a think we saw about 10.

Got good help with putting on the gear and getting into the cage. Were in the cage several times, as we rotated a lot. Was really fun when the sharks came very close to the cafe. When all had seen enough sharks we the boat visited Duiker Island for a look at the sharks' food.

In total - a great day! Highly recommended.

Visited April 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for the lovely feedback Janao!

We are so happy that you picked us and that you enjoyed your trip. We hope you return again sometime soon!

Warm SA Regards