“ABSOLUTELY MEGA!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 19 Activities in Gansbaai
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea. He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the sea bed for the next 20 years.He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the timewhen Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 ton.Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observedand photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years, and has only had6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
“ABSOLUTELY MEGA!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent a lot of time researching shark dive companies and eventually chose Brians crew. We couldn't have been happier. Very professional, friendly and seemed genuinely excited by the sharks. We were out far later than the other boats in the area, saw seals, dolphins and lots of big sharks. Just perfect!!

Visited March 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing Great White Shark Tours for your diving experience and for taking the time to post a reply about your trip raprunner!

We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us!

Hope to see you again.

Regards

“Fantastic day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a fantastic day out, really friendly and helpful company and is fantastic value. this is a whole day experience from the moment i was picked up from my hotel in Cape Town, driven through the scenic route to Gansbaai, out on the boat, plenty of time in the cage then delivered safely back to Cape Town with all limbs, fingers and toes intact.

I went on the trip alone, but there is a sense of all in it together, supported by a great crew on the boat. I went in February, which is not the best time for sharks, but had a lucky day and saw lots of activity. We were out on the boat for around 4 hours and you get at least an hour in the cage. There was plenty to eat and drink. This trip lived up to all it's advertising and more. Great crew, great companions and excellent service. Great White Shark Tours are a credit to SA.

Visited February 2013
Sharky41, Manager at Great White Shark Tours, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind words Paul! Best visibility is during March and September, so we hope to see you soon again!

Ridgewood, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
“Couldn't Give A Higher Rating 5+++++”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have gone on countless adventure day tours of all kinds around the world, but Brian McFarlane's shark cage diving operation is the most professional I have ever encountered. Before we even saw sharks....their office promptly responded to my e-mails, offered my the backpacker's discount,their shuttle van was right on time, the breakfast served was fantasic and the crew was incredibly ethusiastic and helpful. As someone else said on here, Brian and his crew acted as if we were the first group they ever took out on the Apex Predator...their passion and enthusiasm for their clients and the sharks was admirable. Oh, and THE SHARKS! I have seen the Big 5 on safari and tracked the mountain gorillas as well, but no wildlife enthusiast should miss this. We saw up close about 10 great whites...simply amazing. And again, credit to Brian and his crew, we stayed out on the water until every client was exhausted and had several opportunities to jump in the cage. They easily could have rushed us back to port after the first few sightings and we would have been satisfied, but they completely went the extra mile to see that everyone had the time of their life. In summary, when in the Cape Town area this is a "can't miss" activity and Brian McFarlane is the "go to guy" to book with. Don't miss it!

Visited January 2013
Den Haag
11 attraction reviews
“Very good! But must be better in winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I absolutely enjoyed this trip!
However, it did have a slow start; we had a small shark around our boat for 3 hours and only when we were just about to leave did this big monster arrive!
Unfortunately, the visibility was extreme low and trying to see the big shark underwater was impossible. The small one did come very close to the cage a few times, so did manage to see that one.
I would like to note, that the swell was huge and that about 1/3 of the people on the boat were suffereing from sea sickness. I would imagine that it would be a bit expensive to pay 120 euros to be sick for 4 hours...
Anyway, the trips was amazing! Nevertheless, I would recommend anyone to do this in winter, as the visibility is much bigger and the swell is less (or so I have been told!).

Visited February 2013
Thank you for joining us during your trip to SA dyvyr! We do suggest visiting us for dives during March and September for best visibility.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Laguna Beach, California
3 attraction reviews
“Guaranteed to see sharks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The trip was well organized and I must say affordable. Staff was friendly and responsive when booking and this continued upon arrival. We knew of a fire the night before which closed off a highway and we received a text from GWST telling us to take an alternate route which was a nice touch. The trip was well organized and staff on the boat was also friendly. Unfortunately there was a storm the the past few days so the water was pretty churned up and the sea was rough so 90% of the boat was sick including me. I suggest to go in the cage the 2nd round so you can observe the first group. Directions from the "captain" when and where the sharks were coming was good and they come up so close. Even the view just from the boat was great - they are massive humbling creatures. I will say chumming and feeding to draw the sharks doesn't give me a good feeling and Irish I would have known more about this before (my husband did the research). Cage diving is the only way i will view these massive and dangerous animals and you're guaranteed to see sharks or your money back ... I wouldn't suggest any other company.

Visited December 2012
Hi Jenna,

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry that you felt a bit sea sick, remember to take those tablets next time. Hope you'll visit us again next time you are back in Cape Town!