“my little piece of heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of On The Rocks B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gansbaai
On The Rocks B&B
You added On The Rocks B&B to your Saves list
28 Waterkant Street, Gansbaai 7220, South Africa   |
Ranked #20 of 29 Gansbaai B&B and Inns
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“my little piece of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Visited south Africa for the for the first time, what a beautiful place and what lovely people.We made our own fly drive, flew into cape town where we stayed two nights and then toured some of the garden route, but basically we went where we fancied anyway whilst on our travels we came across a fabulous place in Gansbaai called ON THE ROCKS. Well where do I start... firstly I would like to compliment the owners for our stay there, we have never in all our travels been made to feel more welcome, nothing was too much trouble. The en-suite room which we stayed in was called the Africa room it was tastefully decorated with balcony which over looked the bay which was amazing not only for the view but one of the main things I wanted to see when visiting south Africa were the whales, and boy did I see them morning, noon and night, no binoculars were necessary its something in my life that I will never forget. On the rocks has its own swimming pool which we took advantage of and also has its own enclosed private parking. The breakfasts were second to none and were served in a breakfast area once again overlooking the bay. We found on the rocks to be spotlessly clean and tidy, we would not hesitate to suggest to folk to give them a visit. We only intended to stay for one night but ended up staying for 4 nights would have stayed longer given the chance but alas our holiday was nearly at an end, but what a fantastic time we had

Room Tip: Africa Room
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This hotel looked great on the internet so I booked it months in advance. We were very disappointed to arrive only to find out we couldn't stay as the owner had double booked. She was very nice and said it had never happened before, but still she should have let us know and we would have found something else or maybe skipped De Kelders and stayed in Gansbaai city. I wish we could have stayed there, even though the guesthouse we moved to was nice in a different way. Just want to let people know that this does happen.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

While we agree with some of the feedback on the rather interesting decor, the rooms, the linens and the towels were all clean. The view out towards the water from the rooms is breathtaking! The two dogs (Boesman and Nonna) were well behaved, cute and, unless you really don't like dogs, were a delight to have around! Tinus was a pleasure to talk to - he gave us great directions, was full of knowledge of local sites and kept us entertained at breakfast. We highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I stayed at On the Rocks for 4 nights – first for 2 nights, and then after a weekend in Cape Town I was back for another 2 nights. It is true that you get greeted by 2 yapping dogs, aside from barking to let all know that you have arrived, I never heard them back again. The place also has 2 cats, which are very much a part of the atmosphere there. If you like pets, nature and simplicity, this is the place to go.

I was greeted when I arrived by the housekeeper, who is friendly and very talented with the way she arranges the towels, bedding and food. She also makes the most perfect soft-boiled eggs I have ever had. I was showed to my room, and after the initial shock of realizing how small it is, I exhilarated in the view. I stayed in the Whale Room, which has an incredible view of the rocks, fynbos and sea from the room, balcony and bed. The furniture is very basic, the linen and towels clean and also basic, which was more than sufficient and very good value for the price paid.

Upstairs is a huge lounge area with endless views of the sea. Leading to the downstairs area is an iron spiral staircase, which I found very easy to navigate despite my poor co-ordination. In the bottom living area is a pool table, a huge very comfortable couch with a TV , which you are free to use. This leads open-plan to the dining area with tables are chairs. There is a also a very large and well-equipped kitchen, and I felt very comfortable making my own dinners there. Breakfasts are served at 9am, but you are asked every day if this time is suitable and you are free to suggest another time. The breakfasts consist of a buffet of various cereals, very fresh and delicious breads and yoghurt. There was cheese and jam on my table, and I was brought a freshly made fruit-salad every day, and while not huge was more than enough. I was also asked what I wanted as my hot meal, and as stated before, this was made to perfection and beautifully served.

As I was the only guest staying there the first night, I did look around at the other rooms. All are smallish but tastefully if a bit old-fashioned. Not all of the rooms have views though. The owners are Tinus and Sylvia – Tinus is the one who stays at the place, and he is very warm and welcoming. He also is a great source of local information.

As it was not whale season I had no expectations of seeing any of them. But it is still a nature lovers paradise, there is a trail that you can join from just outside the place – it leads through gorgeous fynbos, and along the rocky coast. You can literally walk for hours, and I felt very safe doing this on my own.

I left there feeling like I was leaving home, I will certainly try to go back there!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed there for 3 nights; I pre-arranged bookings with Sylvia and Thinus. The rooms are themed (we stayed in Lavender), and I found them clean, with good quality linen and in good repair.

The B8B's web site (http://www.ontherocksbb.co.za/) is a good reflection of reality, and the views are indeed awesome.

Breakfast was served promptly (at 09:00, as we had agreed), and was hearty with ample access to coffee, juice, etc etc. A selection of cereals and fruits was also on offer.

Thinus (for the non-South Africans out there, this is pronounced "Teen - Us" :-) ) was very friendly, and made efforts to make us feel welcome. He also described several attractions in the area.

Whales: whilst we did not see whales during our time there (Whale season is at a high in September, so they are not present in March), they apparently do calf in the bay shown in the picture on the main page of the web site.

Pets: the owner does indeed have two small dogs and a cat. As I mentioned in the subject line, you need to remember that this is a B&B, and you are staying in someone's home. The pets were well behaved, friendly, and kept away from the guest areas to the extent possible. Personally I did not find them to be a nuisance, but your mileage may vary if you have allergies or specifically dislike animals in your accommodation.

All in all, a good experience, in a beautiful environment, and at

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to On The Rocks B&B? Share your experiences!