“Simply brilliant.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 19 Activities in Gansbaai
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: White Shark Diving Co specializes in exclusive GREAT WHITE SHARK adventure tours in Gansbaai, Western Cape, South Africa. Rated #1 by industry peers, we strive to deliver excellence by being the only Shark Cage Diving Company to offer exclusive & private tours with limited seating capacity for extra comfort, safety and dive time! We are the exclusive carrier of all International Celebrities, VIPs and Sporting Teams. White Shark Diving Company have been advocates for the protection of the Great White Shark species; by pioneering sustainable methods of practice, founding and funding scientific research initiatives and being a key player in the development and implementation of The Great White Shark Protection Foundation of South Africa.
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“Simply brilliant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

These guys are on the ball. Brilliant service. Their boat is great. Smaller groups. More viewing time. Food ok. Very good close up viewing. Safety standards up to scratch. Group discounts BRILLIANT. I'm going with them again:-)

Visited July 2013

Tacoma, WA
37 attraction reviews
“We were sharkbitten”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I can't say enough good things about WSDC. Everyone we met were true professionals from the skipper to our tour guide to the two deckhands throwing out the chum. There was never I time that I didn't feel safe.

Unfortunately for us, the weather was bad and the sharks were slim. The ride out and back was extremely choppy and at least four of the guests (my wife included) got extremely seasick. My wife had even taken extra dramamine too. So, she didn't suit up to go in the cage. My daughter and I were part of the first group but no sharks showed up so we got back out. Finally a couple of sharks showed up and since I had just gotten out, I was the first to go back in. You don't actually dive, but you are in a cage with your head above the water and the guide will tell you when to submerge in the cage to see the shark underwater. I got some good views of the shark which came within six feet of the cage. After several "dives," the five of us got out and another five took our place. Unfortunately no more sharks showed up so those people were a bit disappointed but everyone did get a good look at the two sharks that did show up from the top deck of the boat.

They serve breakfast before the boat trip out while you get safety briefing and lunch afterwards while they try and get you to buy the video. We did because even though the sharks weren't biting too well, it was a once in a lifetime experience for all of us.

Visited June 2013
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Shark diving & more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Big thanks to the staff at WSDC, they helped make a 12 day trip to Cape Town a memorable experience. The shark diving was the initial focus of my planned holiday, but with their help in booking other tours & excursions, it became only part of a fantastic holiday.

As for the actual shark diving, it was a great experience to see them up close. As has been previously mentioned, it's not a dive as such, as you are in a cage with 5 other people, with goggles on, and hold your breath to submerge when the crew spot a shark coming for the bait.

One point worth noting. I see some comments complainging about the early pick up from Cape Town. One easy way to resolve that, don't stay in Cape Town the night before. I transferred to Gaansbai the day before and stayed in a guest house in the town, (which was organised through WSDC). I was picked up at a much more civilised 08:15.

Visited June 2013
Somerset West, South Africa
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The shark diving was a great experience. It is a pity that we had no camera man there who has come into the water with us to take photos. Our camera man stood only on the boat an filmed from there. :( I think it was a nice tour but for this price I had more expectations, because friends of mine had a better tour with more experiences. But all in all it was good. The guides were really nice and got us a great knowledge.

Visited May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was a really cool experience. The whole booking process was very smooth and professional.

If you're driving in or being picked up from Cape Town, expect to leave around 3:30am, as it is about a 2-3 hour drive to Gansbaai. Our meet time was 6:30am and the tour departed about an hour later. Before departure, we were given a light breakfast and had a safety briefing about the do's and don'ts of cage diving. Our crew made every effort possible to make sure we were safe and comfortable. But they made sure to stress that if they caught anyone trying to reach outside the cage to touch one of the sharks that the tour would be over and we all would immediately return to shore. They don't mess around, so don't even think about it (hard to imagine why anyone would...)

Then it was time to depart. It was about a 15 minute ride to our first site and it was VERY bumpy. If you are prone to sea sickness (and even if you aren't), I highly recommend that you take preventative medicine beforehand and keep some on board with you, just in case. We only stayed here for about 5 minutes before the crew decided the seas were too rough. To quote one of the skippers: "It's a good day to be seasick!" Haha. We then headed over to "shark alley" where about 90% of Great White documentaries are filmed and the water was much calmer. There was also a colony of seals nearby. Now it was time to play the waiting game while the crew chums the water to coax the sharks. As I mentioned earlier, if you're prone to sea sickness, you definitely need to take medicine. Even though the water was calmer here, there was still some rocking happening. Plus, there isn't a lot of fresh air with the chum, seals, and fumes from the boat. You get the idea...

After about 30 minutes of waiting, a shark was spotted and the cage was lowered into the water and 6 people were able to get in. Since there were 10 people on our boat doing the tour, they rotated us out after about 10-15 minutes (it may have been longer but it went by so fast!). This was to ensure that everyone got to see sharks since there's no guarantee that they will stick around for long. I should clarify that this isn't really a "dive," since there are only wet suits and a mask worn in the cage. You will be in chest-deep water and instructed when to submerge. The crew was really good about directing us where to look since sometimes the shark was right under our feet! But seeing the sharks up close was soooo cool. Rest assured, they have absolutely no interest in you, only the bait. At one point, the bait was right in front of me and a huge shark grabbed it and thrashed around. According to the crew, 5 different sharks (the biggest being 4 meters) showed up to our boat. I'll have to take their word for it because they all looked the same to me, haha.

After everyone had 2 turns in the water, we had to head back to shore because the winds were starting to pick up and the water was getting rough. Once we arrived back to shore, they had lunch waiting for us and hot showers were accessible. They will then show you the video taken from your excursion which you can purchase for R350 (I think). The video is great because they made sure to get everyone's reaction after coming out of the water. I would highly recommend this company to anyone wanting to do a GW tour!

Visited May 2013