We came form Cape Town for two nights to relax. The reason for choosing Bushman's Kloof was the excellent rating from last year in various magazines. It is an easy drive from Cape Town – but consider 3 hours minimum if the traffic is ok. We booked 48 h in advance and doing that, we’ve qualified for a special which is still quit pricy as we thought.
The first impression was very positive. We were personally welcomed by a lady from the reception and “our” tour guide during the stay. We got a little personal introduction and glass of Port. In the man time, the guide took possession of our car and delivered our luggage to our room. The car was parked in a separate parking area and you won't see it again for the time of your stay which we thought is very positive.
We've booked the “lowest category” (Luxury Room) and considered before to book the suite. Our room was very nice, big enough with a little veranda in front overlooking a little pond with ducks on it and plenty of bird around it.
I can only recommend NOT to book a higher category. After having seen the location of the other category rooms, it would be a waste of money without getting any advantage.
The normal daily routine is like that: Early morning drive with a light breakfast on the way. Then a full breakfast back at the lodge, lunch, High Tea at 3:30, a game drive at 4:30 and a big dinner from 8 pm on.
We did the afternoon drive and the morning drive once. It was nice but there are not many animals to see which was not expected but we thought there could be done more to entertain the guests. There are two beautiful walks from the Hotel into the mountains around the Hotel. Because there are no Predators in this area, it is very safe to walk around. My wife and I like Trail running and we enjoyed these two trails very much. Our recommendation: More of that!
What we didn’t like that much: One morning, I took a cup of coffee to the table of our terrace. It stood there empty for 12 hours, this is not 5 Star service. We’ve spend one afternoon 3 hours at one of the many beautiful pools at the Hotel. Nobody from the staff was seen to take an order – sorry, this is poor service. The breakfast at the lodge is poor in terms of quality, selection and service. One morning we ordered the “Boiled Egg plate”. Without giving you details – it was absolutely not eatable. Same experience with two other hot breakfast choices, they were ok but really nothing to write home about. The dinner was ok but also not outstanding. The wine list was well chosen and not overpriced.
The is a beautiful EMBERS Restaurant is completely closed in winter. We went there to have a look and we didn't understand why? At least it should be pointed out on the Website – we didn’t find anything.
Same with the River Boma – it was completely closed during our stay which was a pity. The evenings were not that cold and there is a huge fireplace in the middle of the Boma. We were very disappointed that we couldn’t sip a drink there before and after dinner.
Our final recommendation: 2 nights is perfect and long enough, get one of the specials, we thing the normal tariffs are overpriced, book the “lowest category” the rooms are well located and spacey,
Final comment: Beautiful place with much potential but in our summary and based upon our 2 night experience we would give it a maximum of 4 stars
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ancient landscapes of wind-sculpted sandstone and untamed bush frame this luxury retreat, 270km from Cape Town. Voted ‘Best Hotel in the World 2009’ in the Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards, the malaria-free reserve is an ecological oasis for diverse wildlife, and custodian of 130 ancient San rock art sites renowned as one the ‘world’s largest open air art galleries’. Evening nature drives and exhilarating outdoor adventures offset an invigorating wellness focus, featuring an outdoor spa gazebo and spa treatments rooted in nature. Delectable cuisine distinguishes this authentic African wilderness escape, while luxurious accommodation includes Koro Lodge, the child-friendly private villa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Splendia, Despegar.com, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat Hotel Clanwilliam
- Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve And Wellness Retreat