“Very nice place in Clanwilliam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yellow Aloe Guest House

Yellow Aloe Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clanwilliam
Yellow Aloe Guest House
You added Yellow Aloe Guest House to your Saves list
1 Park Road, Clanwilliam 8135, South Africa   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Clanwilliam B&B and Inns
Baden, Switzerland
“Very nice place in Clanwilliam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you want to or have to go to Clanwilliam, then this is a nice place at the end of the main road.
The room was spacious, with aircon and fridge. The bathroom was separate and very big. We got a paravon to get protected access from our room to the bathroom.
The guest house is a beautiful old building with lots of decor, very nice. In the garden there are lots of palms, flowers, birds and a nice pool. There is a veranda with garden view.
After ordering some food in the afternoon most of the staff disappeared. Advance information about service hours would be helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Yellow Aloe is a beautiful old Victorian house at the end of the main street in Clanwilliam. Part B&B, part restaurant and part curiosity shop, there's certainly lots to see and much attention has been paid to the decor (most items are available for purchase).

I arrived late on a Sunday afternoon when the town had had no electricity since 7am. The staff member who greeted me said the power should be back on by 7pm. It ended up coming on at 8pm. There were no restaurants open in Clanwilliam due to the outage and I just managed to grab some food from the local (very nice) Super Spar before it closed.

My main complaint with Yellow Aloe was the complete lack of service. After I arrived and was shown to my room (which was very spacious and nicely appointed), I was left to my own devices. It would have been nice if the staff had checked that I'd been able to get some dinner. I battled to locate anyone to help me configure the satellite TV (it needed rebooting after the outage) and had to wait until the morning to find someone who could give me the WiFi password (why do guesthouses not volunteer that at check-in?!).

As the only person staying there that night, it was a bit unnerving to be in a huge house on my own - with the front door wide open. Sure, things are different in small towns, but this city girl was a bit freaked out.

Breakfast the following morning was nice. The restaurant has huge enlarged photographs of the quiver trees near Niewoudtville on the walls which definitely makes you want to visit there (fortunately that's where I was headed to next). The staff were nice but gave the impression that they had other things to do and were scarce. Weirdly, a woman who may have been the owner (she didn't introduce herself properly) approached me at breakfast and asked quite agressively 'Where did you get those bank statements from?' I had no idea what she was talking about! Apparently she'd found them on a table outside... considering it had been pitch dark the previous night, absolutely anything could have been on the tables and I wouldn't have seen a thing. And why would I go through her bank statements anyway? Very odd.

When I was ready to leave, again there were no staff to be found and I had to battle with my luggage down steep, narrow stairs on my own. It also took about 5 minutes for me to locate someone to pay. Had there been lots of guests staying or eating at the restaurant, that may have explained it, but as the only guest, I felt quite ignored.

Overall, the accommodation is nice, but unfortunately my experience with the staff means I wouldn't go back, nor would I recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the upstairs rooms if you struggle with stairs. My room in the roof was also very hot and stuf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a mix up with the room allocated to us on arrival, but after some shuffling of guests we were given a Garden room next door to the main house. Building operations did interfere with access and the room was not quite finished, but will be very comfortable when completed. A large room tastefully furnished with a good quality bed. The garden is well worth a walk around. Both pools were sparkling clean. Breakfast service was a little slow and minimal quantities. Difficult to rate as some areas are good with others being excellent. Staff were nice and helpful, but attention needs to be paid to details.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed overnight at Yellow Aloe while visiting the flowers. It's a very convenient location for the 'Flower Church' and the Ramskop Flower reserve is just up the road. There was building going on , but our stay was comfortable and the hosts were very friendly and helpful about where to go in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We spent the weekend in Clanwilliam for the flower festival with two other couples The B&B was being renovated but this did not impact on our stay. The room was a small double room with a queen bed, good linen and heating/aircon. Small touches such as a hook behind the door for the towels to hang and a bedside shelf would have been helpful. We shared a bathroom with the bedroom next door which was the same size and was occupied by one of the other couples in our party. The bathroom was attractive (although the bath sealant needs attention) and it was spotless. Our other friends had a much larger double room with a generous sized ensuite bathroom.

The large sitting room only has one double seater sofa - we used the garden chairs to watch the rugby game on the large screen TV that evening. Wine glasses and tea and coffee & milk were provided with a fridge, which was handy.

The full English breakfast with options was freshly cooked and the coffee was very good. Service was slow but when we pointed this out they took great pains to ensure were were happy and looked after.

There was a mix up regarding dinner on the night of our arrival. This had been confirmed earlier in the week as we were expecting to eat at the B&B - they get a chef from Cape Town to provide meals during peak seasons. We ended up at Andee's pub and restaurant at the hotel which was average. The B&B did make a reservation at Reinhold's for us for the Saturday night and we were glad the did as the restaurant was fully booked.

Room Tip: Check which room you will be occupying when booking. The ensuite rooms are larger - the ones that s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Our super big room with every possible comfort provided (even a jug of fresh milk in the fridge to go with our morning tea!) was an absolute haven. We had come to Clanwilliam to enjoy the flower festival, and the Yellow Aloe is just opposite the church, and as our erstwhile favourite place has now closed we found ourselves in the capable hands of Cheryl and her team. Dinner for residents was provided, and excellent wines also offered, all at reasonable rates, and the dinner was delicious. Proper tasty home cooking and well served.Breakfast was also super and the gardens (they are a nursery too) with a lovely little swimming pool (weather too cold in August!) make the stoop a lovely place to linger with a cup of tea. Lots of birds - and flowers! A Home from Home

Room Tip: Stay in the main house
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Yellow Aloe Guest House? Share your experiences!