“A REALY SPECIAL PLACE” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Sabi Sand, Kruger National Park, South Africa   |
brasov, romania
“A REALY SPECIAL PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have spent 3 nights in this Game reserve.It was realy amaizing and surprising.You leave realy in the bush and animals are walking in the lodge.Decorations are marvelous, staff very helpfull.Great food and great atmosphere.Next time we will go to the Rock Lodge, another place in Ulusaba Game reserve you can dream about.
Bravo Richard.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
St Louis,MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

If you should ever choose to go to "the Bush", please consider this wonderful place.
Our stay from start to finish was totally amazing. The game drives were fascinating-- our ranger, Duard and tracker, John were the best! They made our trip a "10"! I really wasn't sure what to expect but, I really felt like it was a true safari, not just a drive through Animal Kingdom in Disneyworld. The reserve is stunningly beautiful and I really didn't mind the 5:30 wake up call for our safari knowing that a warm poncho and hot water bottle was waiting for me when we climbed into the truck. I loved drinking coffee in the morning in the bush and then cocktails at nite were fun, too!
I think the coolest thing about the safari trip was that my Iphone was able to send text messages with pics attached. My husband and daughter back home got some play by play moments from me--I loved it and so did they!
Breakfast was delightful, we would sit outside and watch the animals come to the watering hole while we enjoyed the best eggs ever. Lunch was a repeat except the eggs were traded in for delicious Kudu burgers-yum!
I have minimal complaints--I wasn't crazy about the open shower in our bathroom, the spray seemed to go everywhere and I wish they had hooks or bars for me to hang up my towel. I would have been glad to reuse my towel a couple of times but, didnt have anywhere to hang it.
Not much space to store clothing items but, not a big deal since I was barely in the room.
The workout room was minimal, no tv, couldnt get the music to play. I probably would have used it a few more times since you really can't go for a run or walk in the bush but way to boring.. They had a treadmill and a bike for cardio, so not much. But, this pushed me to go fishing --and we loved it. It was so fun, and we caught quite a few fish. John showed me how to hook my worm and use the rod--best thing--we drank some beers and enjoyed the hippos hanging out at the other end of the lake that we fished in.
They even cleaned and cooked a few of the fish and we had them for lunch!
I loved Ulusaba and if I were ever to come back would choose this place again!
These people know how to do it right-!!-from our Champagne greeting to our send off--phenomonal!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Short and sweet, simply the mst flawless place and saw all 5 big game every day and right up very close, had never wanted a safari now I will make sure I will be going again, Go Branson, Go Virgin, and now I can even fly V-Australia to JBerg too!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I just returned from 4 nights and words can not describe the entire experience. Everything was wonderful, from the resort, food, wine, staff and especially our jeep's guide and tracker Sam and Donald. You definitely do leave a piece of your heart when you leave and I can not wait to return. I would recommend it for everyone!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

You will leave a piece of your heart and soul in this place when you leave. The Rock Lodge has brilliant views across the whole region and the Tree House overlooking the water hole is stunning and away from the main camp , but the safari lodges offer many sightings of game with buffalos ,elephants,monkeys and impala paying regular visits seen from the dining and lounge areas aswell as when soaking in the bath ! We also saw lions,giraffes,wilde beast,leapords,crocodiles,hippos,water hogs,reedbuck,zebras,haena,rhinos,nyala,baboons and more when out on safari ,not forgetting many birds ,fabulous and various landscapes at sunrise and sunset ,the march of over 400 buffalos herding past us in the dead of night was truly awesome. This is not a drive around tarmaced roads you really do get so close in the bush you can almost touch them (dont even try it) Sam the man was our amazing tracker who can even find tiny chameleons in the dark and Trevor our ranger is passionate about the protection of everything in the reserve so everything thrives there and is hugely knowledgeable about all of them ,in fact I could go on and on,suffice to say you will not be dissappointed with anything ,the food is brilliant ,the staff hugely welcoming and attentive . For those that knock the cost dont forget you wont pay for a drink or any of the fabulous food available ,your night time trip to the lodges observatory ,twice daily safaris ,gym,pool , daily laundry ,bathroom products, in fact all in all the amazing experience is worth every penny , do not hesitate to go . Most people were there for 4 or 5 nights and absolutely no one wanted to leave .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Recently returned from a 4 night stay. We have been to Sabi Sands before and stayed at Savannah lodge. We did try to book Savannah this time but couldn't get the dates we wanted so our travel company suggested Ulusaba. We stayed in the safari lodge, there is also the rock lodge on top of a hill with great views. But if you want to be close to the game animals the safari lodge is the place to be. We didn't want for anything, our room had an outside balcony with views of the reserve with plenty of wildlife on view. Our ranger and tracker Marcelino and Dan were superb and very knowledgable. The staff at the lodge can't do enough for you and the food and drink is superb. the game viewing was great again although I think the game viewing at savannah was slightly better as they have more diverse habitats.Although last time we went in October and the grass was a lot shorter, the bush was very lush this time. Sabi Sands is renowned for its leopard viewing and we had some unbelievable sightings again. Put this on your list of places to visit. We are already looking forward to planning our next trip.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

If the trip of a lifetime coupled with uber friendly staff that you leave truly missing is what you're looking for - this is the place to be! It is like being at a friend's house w staff, you don't ever have to ask.

There are plenty of reviews about Ulusaba so I wont bang on - we ended up staying 9/10 nights - apparently breaking the record LOL. We saw all of the animals, at least twice and they were within feet from our vehicle. We also visited the elephant whispers, a good few hours outside the park, and got up every (nearly every) morning. 5AM sounds early but you get used to it pretty quickly and its well worth it. We went there to chill out and managed to do exactly that. We spent three nights at Rock lodge (good for the views) and the rest in Safari lodge - where more seems to go on - both in terms of wildlife walking through your lair and people having fun together. Both lodges have exceptional service - our ranger Philip is a legend and Kaiser a great tracker - we'll be back! (Also make sure you go and visit Dumphries village with Pride n Purpose - they are a great cause and the small trip is well worth it!)

Any questions, drop me a line - otherwise, just book in asap, you wont regret it. (wld suggest a min of 4 nights).

Following this I went on to Cape Town - more on my profile if you're considering that.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ulusaba Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!