“My heart yearns to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Forest Creek Lodge & Spa

You added Forest Creek Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Forest Creek Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   PO Box 1195 | Lydenburg, 1120, Dullstroom 1120, South Africa   |
Durban
“My heart yearns to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

How many times have you stayed at a delightful establishment, and written in the guestbook “We’ll be back!” … only to go away and never return?
I know I have. And for most of those places, I’m not really upset when I realise I won’t be able to stop in again.
Forest creek is different. My heart yearns to go back! I spend many hours trying to keep the images and memory in my mind’s eye, while planning and scheming to arrange another visit.
I "met" Forest Creek's amiable hosts Mush and Anita through mutual friends some years ago (we chatted via email), and had been told how magical Forest Creek is. Sadly, it was always just a bit far to travel.
My husband and I like to celebrate our anniversary every year with a weekend away. We finally made plans to do "the great trek" so that we could visit Forest Creek … and realised that we should have gone ages ago. We both want to go back.
Forest Creek is definitely a couple’s retreat. All that peace and quiet and wide open sky just draws you together. Oh, and the forest hike … we felt like Adam and Eve in the Garden, surrounded by all that deep green solitude! There’s a mysterious history about the place which – I’m quite sure – carried us backward in time by several thousand years.
Forest creek is miles from everywhere. Dullstroom is probably the closest town on the map, and how else could one describe its location? So there’s no passing traffic in the distance to break the night-time quiet. No city lights to dull the uncountable stars.
Getting to Forest Creek is a challenge – don’t try it unless you’re in a vehicle with decent ground clearance. The drive up to the Lodge seems so much longer than the drive back to civilisation … probably because by the time you leave, you’ve slowed down and relaxed so much that you hardly notice the road!
Forest Creek is a wee bit expensive for most, but that’s quite understandable considering the effort and planning that must go into getting supplies to the Lodge. We loved the home-style meals and totally relaxed environment.
Having said that, there is a self-catering Forest Cottage which is great for small families – and quite affordable.
Mush and Anita’s staff did them proud. There was always a friendly face when we needed help or directions, but we certainly didn’t have staff “under our feet” all the time as we’ve experienced in some places.
Forest Creek is probably not the larniest place you’ll ever stay at. If you’re looking for polished marbled corridors, this is not your place. Our room was more than comfortable and superbly clean. However, remember that you’re in the bush … expect to see little visitors!
While these things may discourage some potential guests, if you’re looking for the perfect hideaway and a place to restore your soul, they will only make Forest Creek that much more special to you.
Do make the effort to get here if you want a quiet place to refresh yourself, away from all distractions.
Do come if you’re a couple – starting out together, or trying to rekindle your flame.
Do come if you’re into nature, or archaeological history.
But please – if you’re the grumpy sort who wouldn’t even be happy with a free night at the Burj … do us all a favour and stay away.
To Mush and Anita … thank you again for sharing your sanctuary with us. We WILL be back :-)

Room Tip: If you think you'll be spending much time in your room, and want total privacy, ask for Narina o...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grand Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I came back to South Africa after 22 years and we had a wonderful time in the Forest Creek lodge. The staff was very friendly and dinner and breakfast were delicious. We had a free upgrade to one of the most beautiful lodges we ever have stayed in. The outdoor shower was fantastic. As more people have experienced, the last 4.5 km road to the lodge is not really for normal cars but for 4x4 SUV's. We made it in a Toyota Corolla, with some light damage at the bottom, but next time we will ask for the "shuttle" or have a Land Rover type of car. So if you want to relax, get away from the normal busy world than we highly can recommend the Forest Creek lodge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chiredzi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My Husband and I are in the hospitality industry and needed a much deserved break, our 4 day stay at forest creek was one of the most memorable of any we have experienced, Anita’s attention to detail and willingness to go the extra mile for your comfort is exemplary. The food, Spa treatments and the views make one feel totally spoilt and relaxed, the hiking trails in the forest are awesome, and thanks to ‘Heidi’ our four legged tour guide on our walks!, we will definitely be back, you all rock.

Charlie P

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Secunda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

What a well spend weekend my wife and I had at Forest Creek lodge near Lydenburg on the 13th to 15th of April 2012.
There was nothing to big or to small for Mush, Anita, Paulos, Johannes and the kitchen staff to do to make this weekend one to remember for the rest of our lives. We stayed in the Narina suite. It was very nicely and privately situated in the forest. It was always clean and well maintained. This is really a place to look for when looking for a honeymoon spot.
The food was very good and the service from Paulos and Johannes as waiters was of high standard. Good job guys.
We went on one of the hiking trails and was accompanied by the two dogs of the Lodge. They had great fun.The view from the lodge is beautiful.
Thanks guys for make this a memorable weekend.

Room Tip: For privacy book Narina suite
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
forestcreeklodge, Owner at Forest Creek Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Wow at last I have just learnt how to respond to a review, with the help of tripadvisor, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post this review on us, appreciated, and hope to see you again. Anita.
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I had the dubious honor of having spend two nights with my family of four at the establishment. With so many great places around, I picked the wrong horse. More ironic is that it markets itself as Dullstroom... yet it is 60 km away!! Another classic case of misrepresentation (lets catch the next internet fool) . I was also once again reminded that 4 stars in a Guesthouse actually implies the same as 2-3 stars in a hotel!! Something that the grading counsel needs to correct as it is highly confusing to the consumer.

The picture of the rooms on the web was not what we got. In stead we were ushered into a dark little room looking onto the parking area! After much complaining we were moved into a much nicer room the next day. The quality of furnishings look much better on photos, but in reality is not on par with a 4star establishment.

Good for a photo shoot but on the touch the linen is worn and thin and things such as the towels are thin and of 2 star quality. Amenities are of a 2 star quality as well.

Breakfast is basic and dinner as basic. Nothing bad, nothing good. The host seems to be a great guy but the hostess unfortunately should be in a different industry. The word "hospitality" does not come to mind reflecting on her!

It is the first time in my entire life I had to pay for a coffee pot that fell of the table!! But that is just what the place is all about.

Fact is that... as long as fools like myself use an establishment without clicking onto Trip advisor (which unfortunately I did not do beforehand), these things will continue to happen. One feels cheated for forking out R 12 000 for two days for a family of four.

The kitchen staff really try their best. Clearly untrained with a great attitude they were the highlight of the visit!

For those fortunate enough to read this posting.... you can do much much better in the "real" Dullstroom.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Forest Creek Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!