“Food under average expectations” 2 of 5 stars

72 Botley Road, North Baddesley SO52 9DU, England
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night
Southampton
“Food under average expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Been here twice now & ordered different starters/mains each time. The food was quite chewy & hard (sweet & sour chicken), black bean dish not tasty at all. Starters were not tasty, spring rolls not filled enough. The chicken & sweetcorn soup tasted too bland. The restaurant was busy at lunchtime but this could be because of the lunchtime special offers.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice relaxed restuarant with average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Fancied a night out and decided to go somewhere different although my husband had been here before. From the outside the place looks like a small shop type restuarant and inside it is fairly large. It is nicely decorated and the staff are very attentive. There is a choice of a la carte or an all you can eat (brought to your table), although there is a note to say if you don't eat it all you will be charged for the food you leave! It also had a height restriction on children - 4'7" and they are adult prices! Never seen that before so did find that amusing. Food portions were very small but they were happy to bring more out when asked (we had the all you can eat). Mostly the food was nice but there was some strange coloued red breaded chicken which was a bit off putting, and the chicken in the mains was very dry but it was still a nice experience but wont become a favourite place to dine.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Average meal out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a meal out here as a leaving do for one of our colleagues, the food was ok, to be more specific, the seaweed was more chewy than crunchy, the satay chicken was a little dry but still yummy accompanied with the sauce, the aromatic duck was probably the best dish, the Mongolian lamb was ok, in my opinion needs to be more crunchier. The biggest down fall is that there is a Chinese lady who works there, who doesn't smile at all, which makes us feel a bit uncomfortable, as well as being a bit heavy handed at times. Overall good-ok meal, I would return but not in a rush to.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely as usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place never ceases to please. Every time I visit the restaurant my return is already anticipated. This must be ranked among the best Chinese Restaurants in Hampshire. The staff are so polite and keen to please. And they are so efficient. The restaurant always looks lovely and has an ambience of being of a high class establishment. The food is excellent and in plenty. Go for the set menu under its various names and you will not be disappointed. Congratulations to both the management and the staff for enabling this place to exist? On leaving with their farewells, my reply has to be 'lovely as usual ' - and that is truly meant.

Romsey
“We had a good evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at the Water Margin several times over the years and have always enjoyed the food and have never had any complaints about the service but are not regulars. I was therefore surprised to see so many negative comments. I agree with some others that the tables are a bit close together and for that reason I have tended to favour the South Garden In Romsey which is more atmospheric and the food is of a similar quality.

Last night, my wife's birthday, she chose the Water Margin as she had been to the South Garden very recently and felt like a change and of course Monday is not the best night for a celebration.

Accompanied by our daughter we were given a table for four in the "corridor" area and we were thankful that there were only the three of us as it was a bit cramped. My wife and I both commented immediately that the A La Carte menus need replacing as they were not pleasant to hold having obviously been in use for a long time. We chose from the "All you can eat" buffet partly for that reason.

We had three courses and were offered more after each which we declined except for an extra portion of the Sezchuan style lamb which was particularly good.

Overall we thought the food was very good, possibly the best Chinese I have had for a while. We had a bottle of the house white which was pleasant enough and godd value.

They were fairly busy for a Monday night which must say something. They just need to get some new menus printed.

• Visited September 2013