“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

You added Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort to your Saves list
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   5224 State Highway 518, Vadito, NM 87579   |
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I arrived at Sipapu for a four night stay. My cabin was over run with flies. Come to find out they had warm weather a few days before and they had only checked the cabins that they had complaints on to clear the flies, mine was not one of them. My neighbors next door had no towels when they arrived after repeated requests they still had no towels. The staff in the main office is not that friendly and I don't think they really care. I work in hospitality and trust me if my hotel which is a luxury hotel had treated our guests like the employees at Sipapu we would have several bad reviews. If you are a beginner skier it's a good place to go. For me I was making it down the slopes in 5-7 minutes and I am an advanced skier, I won't go back and ski there, as there weren't enough slope choices. The upper lift & slope was open but I don't know why as it was all rocks & no snow. Think rustic, poor customer svc if any, cheap & you get what you pay for. I would recommend this place to families that seek a place for their kids to ski. But if you want a challenge or more choices when skiing then I would not.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

People who write bad reviews for this place are idiots. It is a family resort for people on a budget not Vail, people who are expecting the four seasons need to get a grip. Look at the prices, what can they really give you at these prices. If you are looking to get away from it all this is the place to be. If you have your nose in the air and think that a room is what makes your stay special than you are missing the idea of what a family trip is about, FAMILY! I only have good things to say about this place, no lines and nice people.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Fullerton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

This is one of those funky little New Mexico places, full of character, however, when I visited the resort, we went though three rooms before giving up. The first was dreary with a refrigerator from the last century screaming to be put down . . . the noise was unbelievable. The second was like a cave, damp, dark and musty, the third seemed ok until we discovered the gas leak. Our money was cheerfuly refunded, but I must say that they would do better to address the problems and then no-one would want a refund. the restaurant has a great burger, the people were rustic but pleasant. I could reccomend this for a family day trip, but not overnight till they do some work on the rooms.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
traveling military
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Sipapu is not a bad resort. Not nearly as big as the Colorado resorts I’ve been to, but good for the price. We got 2 days of skiing and hotel for free through a local ski shop, even then the prices for rooms and lift tickets are real good. The people working there were nice. Restaurant had good food at fair prices, but the distance to Taos for dinner is about 20 min so we went there at night. We stayed in their hotel rooms, and I didn’t think they were really that bad, they did need extra amenities like a fridge, but they were clean and good size. My only problem with the place is that NM weather is too unpredictable. We are from Oklahoma, so we had to plan our trip ahead of time, bad move. A week ahead of time they had snow storms galore, but when we got there it was cold at night but by noon it would get into the upper 50's. It was not the best weather for skiing, the snow turned to slush. I think it’s a good place if you can make it right after a storm. I will not be back to any NM resorts though; I can’t afford to chance the bad ski days, especially when it's only an extra 2-3 hours to Colorado.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

All in all, it wasn't too bad. The night staff was WONDERFUL!!! We initially had a lodge room, but woke up to a horrible gas leak. We had a baby and children, so we couldn't go without heat, not to mention a room full of propane. Thus the night staff moved us to an apartment. Which was actually much nicer than the lodge room. Unfortunately, she didn't know it hadn't been cleaned, so in the middle of the night we had to clean before we could do anything. But the night staff was really really helpful and wonderful.

Others in the lodge also had problems with the heaters- they quit working! The hot water also quit. Nothing like a cold shower after a day on the slopes! *g*

The lodge rooms are quaint, and had they been safe and had hot water and heat, I wouldn't have minded them at all.

The apartments are rustic, and obviously old and quaint, but they are the place you want to be. At least they have a fireplace for heat, and hot water.

Or, for not much more you can stay in Taos at a much more modern place and take the nice 30-40 minute drive to Sipapu.

• Liked — scenery, skiing, night staff, restaurant
  • Disliked — Room safety, badly needs updating, manager not so friendly
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

My fiance and I went to Sipapu a year ago and absolutely loved it. We can't wait to go back! I've never had such a relaxing vacation. We stayed in the smallest, lowest grade room possible, but the rooms are so cheap you will get what you paid for. We stayed in a bunk room but we just brought our own air mattress. We even brought our own towels, and linens. The staff was extremely nice. This was my first time to ski and even see snow for that matter, and the lessons really did help me. It took me a while to get the hang of it but by the next day I was skiing like I have been for years. All the lifts were open. This place was a great weekend get away!

• Liked — small, quaint, family feel
  • Disliked — the rooms but we came prepared
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bryan, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

I do not have a lot of time to write this review, so I will get staight to the point. If accomodations are not important then this may be the place for you. I really do not understand the positive reviews this place received on Trip Advisor. Please read below...

Our first cabin/lodge was rustic and old, but it was visibly not cleaned very well and we saw a nice, healthy mouse in the kitchenette. There was also evidence of insects and just plain filth through out the cabin. We moved rooms to the "hotel" and it, too, had issues in addition to its lack of cleanliness. The bathtub drain was clogged and we ended up taking a shower in shin deep water that as it turn out was full of other people's hair and God only knows what else. We ended our family vacation a day early and our money was refunded for the entire length of our stay as well as the ski rentals.

As far as the skiing...I've been to several other ski resorts and this seemed like a decent place to bring our three kids that have never skied before. The lessons are not that good and two of the three instructors I would rate as below average as instructors. (Turning was emphasised, but stopping was never even addressed during the lessons.) The snow was great, but due to a lack of staffing lift #4 was not operating and lift #3 was broken. The Poma Lift, which is billed as the "kids/practice slope", is not kid friendly and the ski instructors did not even should our kids how to use either of the lifts. Consequently, they were frustrated and we spent most of our time away from the slopes sledding and playing in the national forest.

• Liked — closest drive from our origination point
  • Disliked — mice in the lodge and absolute lack of maintenance of the accommodations
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort? Share your experiences!