“Affordable, funky, summer "resort"!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort to your Saves list
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   5224 State Highway 518, Vadito, NM 87579   |
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Affordable, funky, summer "resort"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Sipapu's lodging may not be for everyone. But it is a joy to find a reasonable, clean place near taos. My brother is a frisbie golf enthusiast. this is the place to stay..there are several courses nearby and one right on the grounds. gorgeous stream and mountains. trails everywhere, pets welcome. five of us stayed in one of the 2 bedroom trailers. it was perfect. there are several housing options, most have kitchens. we would like to return during the winter season sometime!

Room Tip: talk to management fro complete clarification on room options..they vary widely!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Weatherford, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

This was a GREAT Value! We stayed in room 302 on the 3rd floor of the main lodge. Understand you get what you pay for! It is very basic lodging! Almost like taking trip back to 1950... No TV, no Internet, no phones and limited cell service. The rental shop had a good variety to choose from, but you can't call them because they don't have a phone either. It's looks like they are a Salomon dealer.... We found the staff very friendly and knowledgable! The ski school instructors were also very friendly and knowledgable! If you stay in the lodge, you must remember the price you paid- it's @1/10 the price of Marriott's Mountain Resort at Lions-head in Vail - for a reason! I am sucker for a good value......We are definitely going back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This could have been a great trip but ruined by several school bus load of kids. Took us over two hours to get lift tickets, and ski rental gear. Had to stand in line with very active kids. Finally got to the slopes, again, had to dodge the kids on slopes, pick up the kids (trash on the slopes) endured screams and loud music. Kids having fun is nice and I enjoy my grandkids but not a Hundred or more at a time..ha. Should be warned schools are coming so patrons have a choice to stay away that day... I would have stayed away... ruined our six hour drive to get there and back. Thats why we went during the week....
Rooms were clean, staff is nice, slopes good and long runs. Again, could have been a great day except for the school trips..

Room Tip: Pick ground floor away from entrance doors.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Vadito hotels

Benbrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have returned 3 times since our original review in 2013. And each time was a little different, and each time has allowed me to appreciate this place more.

Late 2013 season: One time we went there was a snow castle built and people wore costumes and blew horns as they skied down the mountain side. It was an atmosphere of fun times and new experiences for all. My ski teachers were so positive and supportive. The air was fresh and crisp. It was just wonderful.

The second time we returned, in the early month of November 2013, we brought our 10 year old son and stayed in one of the cabins. My son skied all weekend after one 2 hour lesson! He amazed me. Talk about bragging rights I experienced after arriving home. I was so proud—and all because of the friendly, supportive staff. We loved our cabin. And I learned to ski on a bike. Woo-Hoo! The bike was way better then skis! Loved the new magic carpet too. Didn’t miss a tv, but I missed Wifi terribly.

This last time, was a little disappointing. We stayed during a “holiday weekend” January 17-20, 2014. Although the staff we for the most part friendly, it was like our rose-colored glasses were removed. One thing was that we stayed in the hotel. (We won’t do that again-as a matter of fact, we recommend staying in Taos or another hotel they offer with their “free” deal.) The lack of Wifi was really too much for me. It’s funny that Sipapu has info all over Facebook or other computer areas, but their guests cannot post from their location. If they use computers for booking lodging and posting on Facebook—they can and should make this possible for all guests.

Two more issues, which may not matter to other guests, is: 1) Why isn’t there an USA flag flying on grounds? This ski resort is in/on a National Forest, and 2) Why would they EVER block out military discount days? Men and women in the military work 24/7/365. Maybe no one else has noticed, but the military don’t get to fly home for holidays. So, I’m not sure why this occurred either.

Sipapu is an incredible place for the family. It’s a great place for beginning skiers, but don’t lodge there unless it is spring/summer and you want to camp out and have that rugged feel.

Room Tip: Stay in the cabins.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The mountain and grounds are beautiful. The skiing is good. The lift tickets and rental rates are reasonable. The lodging is ABYSMAL. We paid $150 to stay in a motel room on New Year's Day ($119 + $20 for our dog + taxes). The room was totally bare bones, remniscent of a college dorm room circa 1972. It had two queen beds, a couple lamps, a dresser, a bathroom. No tv. No fridge. No microwave. Not even a clock. The beds gave me a backache that lasted a week. The cherry on top was the a noxious odor in the room- eau du mold and clorox? I would never stay at the Sipapu Lodge again. Even for free- which as you will find on their website- they sometimes offer with 'buy a lift ticket and stay for free' specials. Do yourself a favor and stay in Espanola or Taos and wake up a little early to drive to the ski basin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have visited the resort at least 8 times over the years and the last visit was in May,2013. I love your place because of reduced area in summer time as well as the rustic qualities of being in the woods. Also your staff are friendly and helpful. I went to the river nearby and was able to catch trout this last time. I especially enjoyed being able to take my small dog with me as well. It was nice to have a store that sold basic fishing supplies and licenses as well as great fudge. I liked how you can get towels by returning the used one's. I like how there are no tvs since I am wanting to get away from it all. We rented the duplexes this last time together. I like how you updated the bathrooms, kitchens, and even the back window. I did have some suggestions: have instructions on how to light heaters, have a barrier behind back window so people walking will not really by and peer into window. On the 2nd story duplex, I loved having Windows open to hear the river but then found them hard to close. We had a problem in 2 areas: the sink drainpipe was leaking-- we used the other kitchen instead and let management know about it; one night at midnight someone kept knocking on our door--could have thought it was the office manager maybe. We did not have trouble from the drinking and music crowd as we did in 2012 when they had gathered in parking lot and got loud for a short time. Overall, I felt safe in all my visits there. I have another suggestion of redoing the downstairs front window of the duplex-- it looks like a beaver had chewed parts of it. Overall, Iove the resort and look forward to visiting it with my middle-aged friends who are on a budget. The place is generally clean with fresh bedding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Every year after Christmas we plan a family get away to Sipapu!!! This year will be our 8th year going and we are looking forward to the new memories we will make! I have nothing but great things to say! Staff are all friendly and helpful! Both our son and daughter have benefited from the free ski and snowboard lessons, now they leave us on the slopes. The rooms are always clean and well equipped for our family!! The grandma even benefited from the rescue staff once. We love Sipapu Ski Resort and are looking forward to our stay!!! Thanks for the memories in advance Sipapu!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort? Share your experiences!