“Come for the family feel!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort to your Saves list
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   5224 State Highway 518, Vadito, NM 87579   |
Benbrook
“Come for the family feel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband brought me to "learn" to ski. We skied for 3 days, and I had a lesson all three days. Everyone was so nice to me. I was such a baby, but my ski instructors took me by the hand and got me through all my fears. (Well, except running into trees and/or landing in the creek nearby.) I envy all the children learning to ski, while learning as an overweight 40 something, seems like the most difficult event ever. However--once I figured out the equipment--I went through 4 different ski boots and 2 different size of skis (and everyone was patient and kind to me as I whined and cried) I finally made it down the beginner hill. The ski lift on the plates was more difficult than the hill! Anyway--even with all my drama--I am learning to ski and I'm returning in two weeks to try it some more.

Sipapu really is the perfect place for beginners. The bunny hill with the magic carpet is very helpful. When I fell down going through the orange cones the kids came running to help me up. My instructors never gave up on me and always had kind words of praise and encouragement. The men that fit me for my boots and skis would chuckle every time something wouldn't work just right for me, but were soo patient, and wanted everything to work out for me.

Oh! A couple more things. . .as I whined and cried about my boot not fitting correctly (it really was too tight/made my legs shake uncontrollably and gave me a huge bruise!), my husband was soo disgusted with me. . .a child staff worker of about 8-10 years old came to my rescue and explained how emotional people can be learning to ski. Also, my husband lost his cell phone skiing on one of the black diamond trails, and it was found! Hubby found it, but the staff went out of their way to help seek and rejoiced when he returned to the lodge to say it was found!

What my husband and I found was that Sipapu was all about customer service. At least the skiing part. I would not have advanced as far as I did without the help of the wonderful people. (You experts out there that picked up on the sport faster than I have. . .good for you. It really could have been easy for me to quit within the first hour, but I stayed in the game.)

We have always stayed at a hotel in Taos. I would suggest that. . .just because I've never been to a clean bathroom at a ski lounge. They stink. They're in the mountains and the plumbing can't be great--I'd guess this about electric heat and A/C. . .so don't complain if you stay around here. . .

I can't wait to return and tackle the ski lift! Next year I'll bring a child or two!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacey G, Public Relations Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Maria, we are so glad to hear your first skiing experience was at Sipapu and you had a wonderful time. I will be sure to share your positive feedback about our rental shop and ski school with those department managers and their staff. We look forward to seeing you and your family again at our resort! Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our family stayed in apartment 9. There was more than enough room for the seven of us. We where supplied with all the towels, wash clothes, hand towels, and blankets we needed. A wood stove and electric wall heaters kept us very warm & cozy. We where able to make nice meals in the apartment that had most everything we needed. The view was very nice from the apartment also and the ski slopes awesome.

Room Tip: Apt 9 for a large family.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sag10r, thank you for staying at our resort - we're thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation in Apartment 9 and at our resort. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback, and we hope to see you again in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

First off, If your looking for a first class five star ski resort go ahead and look elswhere. Sipapu is one of only a few ski resorts in New Mexico to offer slopeside lodging and it will NOT bust your wallet like the others. As for the resort itself, Sipapu is NOT five star like I said, there are several lodging options, I personally have stayed in the hotel room which was cheap and old but for the money I paid and location, was right on par I would say. I also stayed in a lodge room which is about the same quality of the hotel room and not very clean. The location and price is what keep me going back to Sipapu, you can stay no more then 50 feet away from the lift for about $50.00 bucks or cheaper a night. I find the staff to be the 'keep to themselves' type, not the nicest of people but not really rude either.

The mountain is awesome! They make snow almost nightly and never NEVER have bad lift lines! Lots of trails for you to choose from and parks for those tricksters. Very family friendly mountain and a great place for the little ones to learn using the little magic carpet Sipapu has.

For a family ski or board vacation at an amazing price, Sipapu is well worth it!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Try the small or large Duplex which is closest to the slopes.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stacey G, Public Relations Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hi, Heather:

Thanks for your review! We are glad you stayed with us and we look forward to your next visit at Sipapu.
Woodland Park, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Not a fancy place, but price makes up for it. Played disk golf and loved it, locals took me under their wing to show me how. Great walking trails before the winter hits. We stopped here on our way to Utah and enjoyed the highway views getting there.
Great place for a group of friends to hang at a price they can afford (like a dorm room. The people that work in the shop were very helpful in pointing out things to do. Not much else in the area to do, but you will enjoy getting away from the city.

Room Tip: No TV, no Internet, no phone, no Wi Fi, NO COFFEE POT, no frige. Best tip bottom floor. Only stair...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacey G, Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We look forward to seeing you here - or on our disc golf course! - again in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Texas Hill Country
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Family friendly and budget conscious get-away from the Summer heat. Don't expect too much, except reasonable rates and out of the way location, and you'll be OK. Not fancy in any way and nothing at all close by. Main attraction is the beautiful Carson National Forest which surrounds the area. Many little communities within driving distance and Taos is about 30 minutes away too. They have a challenging disc golf course in the Summer and a small ski area in Winter. Pueblo creek flows thru the property and is very peaceful and pretty. The wifi didn't work at all, although there is cell phone reception.

Honestly, the place needs a total remodel, but at least it's in a beautiful area and is affordable.

Room Tip: There are a few cabins, a couple of motel like facilities and even mobile homes....ask about the rat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Weatherford, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just spent 3 days at Sipapu and had a ball. This place is old and rustic but for $30.00 a night on special who cares. It was CLEAN.We caught fish in the stream and the pond.The apartment we stayed in looked like the Three Stooges remodeled it but for $ 30.00 per night it was fine. We ate at the outdoor grill twice and the food was good. The duplexes looked neater. We will be returning !!

Room Tip: Next time we will stay in the duplexes.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at Sipapu and we were extremely disappointed with our whole experience. My grandmother and I both had lodge rooms they were very dirty. No where on the website does it say that the lodge rooms are located on the third floor. There are no elevators so we had to lug al of our things up three flights of metal stairs. The bathrooms were terrible! The toilets were way to close to the wall you had to sit sideways!! The mirrors in the bathroom were different sizes and way too high I had to stand on my toes to do my makeup! When you walked in the rooms there was an awful smell. The rooms did not have blow dryers, hangers, televisions or maid service. The railing on one of the bunk beds broke when the kids were getting into bed.
Several of my other family members stayed in "apartment" rooms which in my opinion were much worse than the lodge rooms. When you walked into the apartments it smelled like their was a gas leak. The bathrooms were very tiny and a tall person would have a very hard time getting into the shower.
This place was awful and I will never ever go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort? Share your experiences!