“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2800 E. Tucumcari Blvd., Tucumcari, NM 88401 (Formerly Comfort Inn Tucumcari)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Tucson, AZ
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We usually don't stay at Rodeways but one review said it was OK so we gave it a try as it was a late night stop and an early departure. But to our surprise it was clean and efficient. And for the price it was certainly a good deal.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Manchester, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Preface: This was a last minute booking as I continued my drive across the country. I booked it through the choicehotels website for $55 plus tax for a single king bed. I have never stayed at a Rodeway Inn, since their reputation is, frankly, crap. However, the TripAdviser reviews and the fact it was already 11:30pm when I booked induced me to give this one a shot.

Arrival: I checked in very late, at 1:30am. I had to go to one of those safety windows, since the lobby was closed. The clerk was a young guy who didn’t seem to be overly familiar with all aspects of his job. I usually use a credit card to hold my room for the reservation and then pay cash when I check in. When I asked him if I could pay cash for the room, he replied he wasn’t sure they could do, and that I would have to ask someone in the morning. I’m pretty sure he just didn’t know how to refund the charge, but I was ok waiting till checkout to get it done (spoiler alert: it did not get done).

Accommodations: I opened the door to my room…to see 2 queen beds, not a king as I had booked. I didn’t bother to go back downstairs, as I was tired, and frankly I didn’t care; I just wanted to sleep for a few hours before resuming driving. The rooms were uber-basic: beds, table and chairs, old tube-style TV on a dresser. No microwave or fridge, although they did include an iron and ironing board. The rooms were done in off white and a rusty yellow color. The room was quite warm when I checked in, and the AC never really got it cooled down to my liking. The bathroom shower head was adjustable to 4 different setting; it’s too bad it was broken and wouldn’t adjust. At least the water was hot. Overall, the furniture and room were in pretty good shape; I’m guessing it had been replaced somewhat recently.

Cleanliness: Whoo boy, where do I start. This is why I gave this hotel such a low rating. I will freely admit I tend to be pickier than the average person when it comes to cleanliness, but I was surprised at the room conditions given the previous reviews. The sheets on one of the two beds had multiple different stains on them, including some unidentifiable black marks and very identifiable blood stains. Out of the six total pillows on both beds, I found ONE that was clean. Two had blood stains, two had hair on them, and I don’t even want to know what the heck was on the fifth one. The bathroom sink and tub both had hair still lying around, I found a long hair on the clean towels and there were smudges on the mirror. I probably should have complained at this point, but again, I was tired and just ready to crash for a few hours sleep.

My Stay: Once I got past the bloodstains on the bed, the dirty linens, the hair in the bathroom, and the fact the room remained warmer than I was comfortable with, my stay was short and uneventful. I didn’t sleep overly well, and woke up ready to leave.

Breakfast: Another disappointment. When I arrived at the breakfast area, they had left: bran muffins, 2 slices of white bread….and that’s about it. Now to be fair, I went down to the breakfast area about 15 minutes before it closed (it’s open till 9am), but from the looks of it there wasn’t a large selection to begin with. Even the 2% milk was gone. They did have cereal (although if you are picky about your cereal, be warned it’s all generic brands), and props have to be given for having a self-serve waffle making station. But on the whole I was unimpressed.

Extras: I believe there was a pool, but I (obviously) got there too late to use it. No workout room or hot tub to my knowledge.

Checkout: After loading my stuff in to the car, I went to the desk…to find the same clerk manning the desk. Not sure what happened, but it appears his relief never showed up. I asked about paying cash for the room, and he replied the charge had already been made and couldn’t be changed. I dunno if this is a Rodeway Inn thing or what, but I’ve never been in a hotel where I couldn’t pay for the room with cash after holding it with my card (Note: This IS often true with Priceline/Travelocity bookings, but as stated above I booked through the choicerewards website). After handing me my receipt, the clerk walked past me outside and proceeded to go sit on the curb and resume smoking. Guess I can’t blame him; if I’d been there as long as he probably had, I’d need a break too.

Summary: I’ve never stayed in a Rodeway Inn because I’ve always heard they were poorly run and often dirty. While the overall conditions of the room and its furnishings were ok, the cleanliness issues and poor customer service have convinced me not to try another one for quite a while regardless of its Trip Advisor ratings. I would NOT stay here again, and advise anyone else to avoid this hotel unless it’s a last resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Anthem, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

While passing through town on a dark desert highway, we were forced to stop for the night (can't ya just hear the guitar?) at the Roadway Inn in Tucumcari. I was a bit concerned, but My fears were quickly laid to rest. The staff was excellent, the rooms spacious and clean and the price was more than reasonable. All in all, it was one of the nicest hotels we stayed on our Odyssey and that includes the one we stayed at when we arrived in Flagstaff. The breakfast left a bit to be desired, not that it was bad, it was just limited (cold, continental), but there were plenty of places in town for a bigger, hotter meal.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here while on a road trip from Florida to Nevada. It is right off of the interstate and is convenient to a few gas stations and there is a Kmart right down the road. The hotel has a well lit parking lot and the staff was very nice. Our hotel room was clean, had free wi-fi and was quiet. We got a good nights sleep here and a small breakfast in the hotel lobby in the morning. This place was very reasonably priced and the room was large. The beds were comfy also. I would come back here again!

Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Once in a great while I find a location for a bottom-feeder chain with someone in charge who wants to make something better out of their property. This was definitely one of them--and, thanks, TripAdvisor. I never would have checked into a Rodeway Inn in a million billion years if there hadn't been so many positive reviews for this place.

Nothing special, nothing fancy, just a solid value with all the basics--clean, everything worked, in a relatively quiet location. And CHEAP. Wow, was this cheap (like almost everything else in Tucumcari, of course).

BTW--One of the advantages of Tucumcari is that it's so isolated that you can stay here on a weekend fairly confident that there's no partiers, softball tournaments, or wedding parties checked in. This is always a concern, of course, with low-end chain motels; I've never once had that kind of problem in Tucumcari.

Room Tip: My room was on the west side, facing the setting sun, which has absolutely nothing to block it. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We found this a big improvement over previous stays in Tucumcari. Comfortable bed and nice size room. Very clean room at a reasonable price! We travel with a small pet and the walking area is very convenient.

Room Tip: A popular motel. If you are travelling with a pet, make a reservation to ensure you get a ground flo...
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Plus: the had a waffle station for breakfas. Pool on site. Price good. Good size room cleanish bathroom.
Minus: room was soooooo hot when we arrived, like an oven. Put AC on high and room didn't cool off to ~78 until 3 am.
Pool was closed for maintenance (couple of months). Eggs at breakfast not so good.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!