“HORRIBLE< HORRIBLE HOTEL!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tucumari Inn

Tucumari Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Tucumari Inn
You added Tucumari Inn to your Saves list
1700 East Tucumcari Blvd., Tucumcari, NM 88401   |
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Mesa, AZ
“HORRIBLE< HORRIBLE HOTEL!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is absolutely the worst motel I have EVER stayed in. Let me say I didn't have much choice. My truck broke down and I had to be towed into town. The mechanic shop couldn't get the parts to fix it until the next day. So, I asked the mechanic to give me a ride to a motel. This is where he took me. I have a bad knee and couldn't walk anywhere else and there are no cabs in Tucumcari. I was stuck. The door didn't latch properly. The bathroom window didn't latch properly; it was locked by a stick propped up in it. There was a large hole in the wall beside my bed where repairs had been made to the plumbing behind the sheetrock. Inside the hole it looked like mold. The lamps weren't plugged in so I had to plug them in to get lights. The TV cable was disconnected so I had to reconnect it. The carpet by the door was ripped up and just laying across the threshold. When it was picked up carpet tackstrip (Think lots of very short, very sharp nails pointing up, just right to stem on) was exposed. And to top it off, I had to walk to the office (because they wouldn't answer the phone) and ask for toilet paper because there was NONE in the room.

People, do yourselves a favor and stay far, FAR away from the Tucumcari Inn!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I’ve stayed at this location a few times before and have reviewed it before in Feb, 2011.

But tonight when I went to unlock the door with the old fashioned key, the door pushed open, it wasn’t latched. And the first light I turned on looked like the light from a 15 watt bulb. The door did close and lock, it just took a really good slam. Buy then I had an uneasy feeling that I just couldn’t shake.

HOWEVER, everything was clean, quiet and the water was hot … right away.

The sink, toilet and tub were all fairly new and clean, no dirt, no chips, no water stains. The sheets are old and maybe not even the right size for this bed, but they were clean.
Over the next week I have stayed at $100 a night motels that have had water stains on the tub, paint ‘bumps’ in the sink, 15 watt lights and a tub that wouldn’t drain. Those things all make this place look pretty good.

The Tucumcari Inn also has food next door something the east end motels no longer have now that Denny’s moved to the Flying J. Big rig parking is where you find it here, lots of open space.

The sign out front says ‘American Owned,’ the sign at the motel next door says ‘Genuine American Owned’ and is $34. The Tucumcari Inn has dropped it’s price from $26 in 2006, to $25 in 2010 and now $24 in 2013.

This is one of the few towns where the old motels haven’t been dozed to drive up the prices for the major chains. The number of motels is going down and most prices are going up, but there is still one motel for under $20, five more for less than $30 plus another 10 old motels that are not posting prices.

Sorry, no photo’s from any of the four motels from this trip. Someday when I have a smaller rig, I am going to stop and take pictures of the dozen old motels in this town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Seneca, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Room was clean and cheap. Everything worked but swimming pool was not working...plus was on the side of a main road so wouldn't have wanted to use it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The primary issue I had was the fact that they double charged my credit card. I called, and through one hang up, and a second call, finally understood that the woman (they're from India and speak broken English) was telling me that they had returned the second charge. Interestingly, she "knew" that the charge had been returned, this a week later, yet she had no idea who I was, nor when I stayed. The charge was not returned, so entering a dispute with my bank.

You get what you pay for, the beds were ok, the toilet seat was not attached to the toilet, and the toilet needed a new flush valve. I'd have been ok with it for two adults and one child at $43, but not so much at $86.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Couldn't believe I got a decent room for $30 a night including taxes!! I work in Northeastern New Mexico a lot and this place will get my business again. No silver spoons, no mint on the pillow, no silk sheets, just a room that was clean enough to sleep in until work the follwing day and all at a price that will bring me back again. I didn't think in this day and age where motels want $50 a night and up that bargains like this were available anymore, what a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Purcell, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We thought we were going to tent, but decided instead to opt for a hotel.

The positive:
My wife and I got a hotel room for less than $30. Check in was quick.

The rest of the story...
Clerk would not accept my credit card - said their credit card machine was not working. Room smelled poorly. Bed was rock hard - and this comes from someone who backpacks and sleeps on the ground a lot. Pillows were flat. Bottom sheet on bed was not fitted, and after a night of rolling around on a hard bed, was completely untucked leaving us sleeping on the mattress. Heat/AC unit was very loud. Light in the bathroom only flickered and never would come completely on. Didn't try shower or bathtub.

However, I was most intrigued by the bathroom fixtures. I've never seen a purple toilet or bathtub before. And the use of a white toilet seat on the purple toilet is a style that I'm sure will catch on. I've noted it here so that after Martha Stewart steals the idea, we'll all know where it came from.

Overall, next time I'm in Tucumcari, I'll pay a little more somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

(To put the review in context) Tonight I was looking for the $15 motel I had seen in Tucumcari in the past, but things have changed in the last six months. There were no (open) motels for under $20, there used to be at least three. A couple of the motels no longer had prices posted and look like they have gone to ‘monthly rates.’ Four other motels have closed since my last trip through so there is less competition. I did see three other motels for less than the $25 I paid here.

The room was clean, the water was hot, the room was warm ... that's all I need. Plus FREE WiFi. And a block from the Rockin' Y's Roadhouse (food).

The room is basic, no frills so I was trying to think of what to post and started comparing it to other resent motels.

WiFi - The night before I stayed here, I paid $50 for a room and their WiFi didn't work most of the time. The night after I stayed here I paid $35 and they wanted another $5 to connect to their WiFi
Hot Water - I recently paid $70 for a room where it took 15 minutes to get hot water.
Heat - I've paid $50 for motels where either the heat was either on/off (no controls) or the gap around the door was so big the heater couldn't keep up

... so yes, this is a great motel ... for the price. (After I checked in, I remembered I've stayed here before)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Tucumari Inn? Share your experiences!