“A Route 66 Classic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomino Motel

Palomino Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Palomino Motel
Save Saved
You added Palomino Motel to your Saves list
1215 East Tucumcari Boulevard, Tucumcari, NM 88401   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Loveland, Colorado
“A Route 66 Classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Time has not been friendly to The Mother Road, and nowhere is the more evident than the seedy stretch of the former glory road in Tuscumari, New Mexico. I always stop if I'm in the area to see the DinoSaur Museum, but usually stay in a more modern motel. When I passed the Palomino, though, I saw the sign. "$19.95, why pay more", and more importantly, "Fast wireless internet". When I pulled in, the office was locked, but out of nowhere, Mr. Patel (who else?) appeared in his car and rented me a room and checked it personally for clean towels, toilet paper and squatting hobos that might have sneaked in the bathroom window. Look, let's be realistic here. Everything is relative, and what can you expect from a motel room for less than Twenty Bucks? The air worked, the internet worked, the bed was comfortable and the shower hot. The place was ancient, but relatively clean and more than adequate. For those on a budget or just wanting to do the Rt. 66 experience, I recommend it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Families
Business
phoenix az.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

We drove though town and liked the name and neon sign. We are horse lovers. Its a nice little cozy motel. the rooms are clean and comfortable, it had a new a/c unit that worked real good and it was a hot day. We had a nice king size bed. the lady at the desk was like my mother....she was nice and we talked for a while. the price was real affordable....in the 28 dollar range.
We were very satisfied....we will return.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

The woman who owned the hotel wasn't very polite. She explained one price over the phone and changed this when I went to check out the room. I ended staying as I was tired from my trip. When getting unpacked I noticed the rooms were very run down and small. I would have to say they were clen I just didn't think the price was worth it. Please be sure to clarify the price of room before paying. Look around in town before staying in this motel.

• Stayed June 2006
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

The sign in front of the Palimino says 'why pay more?" and if all one wants is a bed for the night and nothing else, why pay more indeed?

Old Route 66 through Tucumcari is awash in deteriorating 1950s-vintage motels. These places offer very cheap basic lodging to someone traveling alone who just wants a no-amenities bed. I've stayed at the Palamino several times over several years, and have always gotten my $22 worth--thats tax included. By my moneys worth I mean the bed was servicible, the room was quiet, the TV and the plumbing and air conditioning worked. One gets what one pays for.

Prisses and carps be forewarned...places like the Palamino and the many similarly priced motels on old 66 arent for you. Go down to the east end of 66 to one of the chains and pay twice as much for the same thing.

Been to Palomino Motel? Share your experiences!