“Never, ever again.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
North Las Vegas, Nevada
“Never, ever again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

The hotel didn't look bad from outside, the lobby was very nice. I found out that the when I made the reservation online, I accidentally selected a smoking room, I asked to see if I could get non-smoking, and they could accomodate me, but only if I would agree to a double-bed or one queen, as they didn't have any non-smoking with two queens left. Because I couldn't go with a one bed room and we had already done the two double beds with terrible results, I decided we'd have to stick with what we had. We got to our room and it was only a few doors down from the indoor pool, which from the outside, looked very inviting. There was decent parking and it was pretty close to our room. The hotel itself was incredibly hot and suffocating in the hallways. The smell of the room hit us as soon as we opened the door, it was awful! I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to stand it. Got the air going of course the kids had to try out the bathroom right away, which ended up being a good thing. We soon discovered that the toilet didn't work at all!!! I went up front to talk to the clerk to see if I could remedy the situation. The clerk was on the phone with someone, I assume her manager or someone and I waited at the desk, and waited, and waited, and then I went and had a seat in the lobby and she finally acknowledged me stating that she would be with me in a few minutes. I waited while she finished her conversation, which was more important that what I needed, and then she offered her assistance. I told her that the toilet was not working and that the smell was probably more than what we could take and asked again if she couldn not accomodate us to another similar room, she reiterated that she had nothing else available except the double bed room, and then she said she might not be able to get maintenance to fix the toilet so would we be willing to move, I agreed, but thankfully they were able to get the toilet fixed in a relatively short amount of time. She also gave us a bottle of air freshener to spray in the room to alliviate some of the smoke stench, it didn't really work, though. After going across the street for some dinner, we decided to try out the pool. For being an indoor heated pool, it was actually ice cold! It would have been perfect for the kids, it was a small pool and went from 3ft to 4ft back to 3ft, but it was way too cold to be in for more than a few minutes. We were a little disappointed. The "free wi-fi" was not easy to use, it took about 20 minutes to actually get connected and they didn't have any special passwords or anything, they just had a bad connection, I think. The breakfast was nice for the kids, they got some cereal and we got on the road. Overall the room was like a closet the hotel, with the exception of the lobby, smelled funky and gross. And I definitely recommend staying away from the smoking rooms if you do not smoke.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Everything in this motel is at least 25 years old. That would be fine if it were well maintained, but it isn't. Our "non-smoking" room was right across the hall from the smoking rooms; the whole corridor reeked of smoke. Our room's smoke detector wouldn't quit chirping (wonder why) and I had to lean on the desk clerk to get him to give us a different room. The second room, like the first, had dirty walls and water-damaged, crumbling ceilings. Resolving to spend as little time in it as possible, we headed to the "heated" pool (about 65 degrees) and when we came back to our room there were German cockroaches crawling on the walls. And this dump cost us $60! Keep driving... there are other motels nearby that don't deserve a visit from the Health Department.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
mount pleasant, texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

accomodations poor, door wouldn't close properly, thus dead bolt lock didn't work. in middle of night, my wife found a scorpion crawling on her in the bed. when we reported this to the front desk the next morning, the lady said with a slight laugh: "Well, it is scorpion and tarantula season." Since they don't mention this on their website, we thought you should know. If you don't want scorpions or tarantulas in your bed, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
kingman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

after going to the Travel lodge in tucumcari and being disgusted, we looked for another hotel and I had a coupon for the Super 8. We were able to get it for $52 per night, which ended up being cheaper than the Travel Lodge. We walked in and the clerk, Wanda, was very helpful. She accepted the coupon, plus gave me a CDL discount. We stayed for 5 days. Each day after we left, housekeeping came in and cleaned the room. Although the room could use an update on it's furnishings, it was spacious. The breakfast was the normal continental breakfast. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The Assistant Manager, Willy, is the person we checked out with, he said that if we returned he would give us a better rate than we had got. The plus side, the room didn't stink and had no bugs!!!!

• Liked — the staff and it didn't stink or had bugs!!
  • Disliked — room furnishings need updated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

We stayed here as part of our Route 66 tour this year. As a Family of 5 from the UK we like to prebook. We decided to stay here because I couldn't book the Blue Swallow online (you do it by e-mails) and because of the review here and others elsewhere. The motel is small and ok. Small reception, dark decor makes the corridors seem gloomy, all very 70s. We had two rooms - my wife and I had a huge suite - all the furniture seemed worn - the room smelled damp - the carpet was damp I'm sure. The air con was damp smelling too. Our Daughters room was ok though.

Breakfast was self service in a small room off reception - small range of food but more that enough to keep us going.

Next time the Blue Swallow now that I've seen it featured on a recent UK TV programme, but this place is ok.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the damp room
  • Tips/Secrets — read all the reviews before booking
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2002

For a value hotel, Super 8 is this road warrior's cheap hotel of choice. Of course one always takes a big risk when taking the money saving choice but with Super 8 sometimes one can really score, and such is the case with the Super 8 in Tucumcari. I got a "suite" with a king sized bed for $41 bucks!!! Of course it's not a real suite, just one big ol room but hey, it's nicer than most Comfort Inns you'd pay twice the price for. And it's perfectly clean and cute and comfy!!! Just the thing after driving 700 miles down I 40 thru the middle of nowhere!

Been to Super 8 Tucumcari? Share your experiences!