“My favorite hotel in Tucumcari” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Route 66 Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
You added Historic Route 66 Motel to your Saves list
1620 East Tucumcari Blvd., Tucumcari, NM 88401   |
Affiliate website
Special Offer
Rates Starting at $41.95
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Phoenix, Arizona
“My favorite hotel in Tucumcari”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was my second stay at the Historic Route 66 Motel. I love the atmosphere; not only the retro feel of the motel, but the hospitality of the owners, too.
This time, we grabbed some smoothies to go (yum), from the coffee house on the property. I took advantage of their on-site computer to verify route details and check the weather forecast. I had a lovely chat with the owner and I was on my way. I will always choose this hotel when I travel. No frills, but a locally owned, well-cared for property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here on our drive to California. Pulled in late, and the innkeeper had everything all ready to go within 5 minutes. We had a 2 double beds, and I tell you what. I have never slept better. They were sooooo comfy. The water from the shower head came out full force, but it felt awesome. Kinda like a massage after a long day of driving. Very cute nostalgic furniture, our family of 4 had a great stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a great place; very affordable, comfortable, has a fridge and microwave. Tucumcari is a town of motels and restaurants and little else in the middle of the desert. The room was large, cool and had blackout floor-to-ceiling curtains somI was able to sleep in. The owner is friendly and the cafe on site has excellent coffee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Murdock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is amazing! First the bed was wonderful. The room looks like something out of my childhood. It is true to the period and yet modern. Our room was spotless. The bathroom was clean - there were enough outlets to plug in chargers and it was VERY quiet - which we like. Don't let the somewhat sparse exterior keep you from stopping here. Get out and look at the Cessna in the parking lot. The owner directed us to a wonderful little bar and grill for a super dinner too. We probably won't stay anywhere else on our yearly trips now. We are in LOVE! If you are looking for a clean, quiet, cool place to sleep without feeling like you are making a house payment - this is the place.

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness center - and - as this is a "mom & pop" place don't ex...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stopped in Tucumcari, New Mexico on the way back from Texas, and chose the Historic Route 66 Motel based on the positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. I wasn't disappointed! As a matter of fact, as a fan of mid-century motels, it was one of the high points on my 3000 mile road trip.

Once I arrived at the motel, the manager at the front desk was polite and conversational, and she checked me in quickly for under $40 with tax. When I opened the door of my room, it was everything I was hoping for - many "modern" original 1960's furnishings, original wood paneling, large windows that brought in tremendous natural light, etc. It was like stepping back in time! A real treat. I should also add that everything was clean and tidy.

If you're a Route 66 enthusiast, Tucumcari is a really neat town. There are many original buildings and businesses up and down the highway; some closed down but many still open. After I got settled in, I spent close to an hour just riding around and taking photos of the area.

Later on, I cozied up, watched TV, and relaxed a bit. Large, heavy drapes close off the outside and keep the room private. I noticed that my room had an ice bucket available, but I hadn't seen an ice machine. I walked to the front desk to inquire about it, and the manager had a bag of ice prepared for me. Very nice!

One issue I had was that the AC unit was a bit noisy - do you stay awake and keep cool, or try to sleep and get a little warm? To be honest though, this motel has the same wall-mount AC unit I used in two other motels during the same week, so I think it just takes a little getting used to. And to be honest, at the $40 / night price point, it's not a big deal. I slept decent enough with the AC off in any case.

One nice detail the room had was a towel set aside for each guest to tidy up with - one to wipe down shoes, dashboards, windshields, etc. So instead of using one of the nice bathroom towels to clean with, and then feeling guilty about it, they've already set aside a specific towel for you to use. I actually really appreciated this.

Come the next morning, the manager greeted me with a smile and a good morning. I packed up and was on the road again.

If you're in the area, I'd say that the Historic Route 66 Motel is a great place to stay. Clean, friendly, lots of character, and comfortable. I'll stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Glendale, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

A nice little hotel that needs to pay attention to details. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The AC was off when we arrived and it took several hours to cool the room to a comfortable temperature. The wall facing the parking lot is all glass. We opened the blinds to let the light in. When we tried to close them we couln't. We had to get the owner to come and close them. She knew there was a problem with them before we went to get her. We went to get ice. There is a ice bucket in the room but no ice machine on the property. The next morning we found that we only had one bath towel for two people. Not only that but it had holes and was ragged on the ends. I went to the office to get a new towel. No luck they don't open until 3:00 PM. This could have been a great stop on our trip but was a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mcfulton, Owner at Historic Route 66 Motel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
I need to respond to your complaints, because your complaints were - and are – odd. This is an economy hotel, and a very good one, and our rates are considerably less than a Motel 6 franchise, but what you wanted, was a five-star luxury hotel and all of the accompanying staff, but at rates below 40 US dollars. It can’t be done. Our air conditioning system is excellent - within reason. The day that you arrived the temperature here was over 100 degrees and an economy hotel cannot afford to pre-cool unreserved rooms. It takes perhaps 30 minutes for our rooms to cool down regardless of the outdoor temperature. Also, we don’t have blinds in the rooms, they’re draperies. I am astounded at the number of people who do not know what draperies are, much less the drawstring which is utilized in the opening and closing of draperies. There are no problems with the draperies, the drawstring, or the method of closing the windows – THEY’RE DRAPERIES. Also, we do have an ice machine – it’s in the lobby. We even pre-bag the ice for the guest’s convenience. Although it is possible that the housekeeper did fail to set up your king room properly with two bath towels, two hand-towels, and two wash cloths, I doubt it. Incredibly enough, I think you failed to see the towel rack at all. I think that you were using the retired towel that is provided in each room, far away from the regular linens, and is clearly identified with a sign that says “This towel is provided as a courtesy for washing car windows, shoes, etc.” Regardless, our lobby is indeed closed in the morning but the coffee shop at the opposite wing of the hotel opens at 6:30 am and the employees there are always happy and accommodating to guests that need assistance.
Davison, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a great motel. It's clean, clean, clean! They are pet friendly, the beds were comfortable and there was just enough space to get a good night sleep for my family of 4 and dog. Thanks so much to the staff, who were extremely helpful, courteous and kind. Simple and reasonably priced. The only downfall is that there is not a whole lot of other amenities in the community.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Historic Route 66 Motel? Share your experiences!