“A fine place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 18 hotels in Taos
Alexandria, Virginia
“A fine place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is obviously a chain hotel, so you expect a rather generic experience, and that's what you get. The room (2 Queens) was spacious, with a separate area for sitting and watching TV or doing work on a laptop at a small table. The bathroom configuration is a little strange in that the wet area is separated from the sink and place to hang your clothes (not a closet) by a dresser and TV. It's minor, just weird.

The furnishings and finishes are basic. The feel is a little bit sad and dated, but they are in the middle of a long-term renovation, so it will be interesting to see what it's like in a couple years. The front desk person said they had just put in a small gym and were soon to replace all the bedding, then this, then that...

My room key was very temperamental and took several tries to open the room every time I used it. (I should have gone back to get a new one but kept forgetting.)

My room was on the second floor, right off the main lobby atrium, so I was worried about noise, but it was quiet all the time.

I never ate there because I was attending an event at the neighboring Sagebrush Inn, which provided both breakfast and lunch, and I ate out for dinner every night.

The people were nice enough to transact business.

I chose the place for the convenience to my event and plan to stay there again. I'm only there to sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were going through Taos, NM when my motorcycle broke down. The staff at Comfort Suite went well out of their way to assist us. They let us use there conference room to sit in why we waited for the bike to get fixed. When it took another day they went of their way to make our stay the best possible. When the gentlemen at the motorcycle shop would not call me back Jennifer Matsuzaki actually went to the softball fields to find him. Jennifer was the greatest hotel manager in the WORLD!!! Jennifer and the staff made a terrible situation much better. The rooms are incredibly clean and the hotel in general was the best we stayed in all week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Used a CS in Hot Springs..very nice. Decided to try here...worn out...needs paint and a redo...nice size room. Helpful staff...pool area pathetic. Settee in room hard as a rock to sit on
Just skip the place

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunstsville, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Comfort Suites is a great brand. Their hotels are top notch and they are clean and upscale. This hotel, clearly something else prior to Comfort Suites, has large rooms, but they're not suites by a long shot. They are large rooms with a little extra area for a couch. The rooms are out of date. The decor is a dinghy color scheme of olive green and burgundy. The lobby is attractive but the halls and stairwells are dreary. The room was out of date but clean. The bed was uncomfortable due to too much padding under the sheets with those fake pillow stop covers. That said, the rooms were quiet and cozy. The pool and hot tub are afterthoughts, stuck in a concrete space between two wings of the hotel. There was no elevator available so the dank, dark stairs were utilized to get from one floor to the other. This hotel is also far from the wonderful center of Taos, where you can walk anywhere for art galleries and restaurants. This hotel is at the furthest southern edge of town, requiring driving to go anywhere fun in Taos.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gallup, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

WE were attending a family reunion and had made reservations months in advance with the understanding that all our family members would be able to stay on the same floor in close proximity to each other. At the time my other family made reservations at the Comfort Inn, there were no rooms for myself so I booked across the street at the Hampton Inn. Two days before one of my brothers was unable to attend the reunion, so I jumped on his reservation and was told no problem, and assumed his confirmation number with no problem. However, before assumping the confirmation number, and cancelling my cheaper rate hotel, I wanted to make sure that this would mean I would be in the room contingent to my other brother. I was told no problem and booked the room. On the day before I was contacted by the manager who was very rude from the minute I answered the phone, I was told that they could not honor my request because the people who were in the room that I requested had decided to stay another night and that I would be placed in another wing, on another floor of the motel. They have a policy of not moving a person from a room in they are in if they decide to stay another night. I told her this was unacceptable as I cancelled my reservations at the Hampton at a cheaper rate because I understood that I would have a room next to my family. The manger then told me she didn't think it was a big deal, all i had to do was walk across the hotel to be with my family and I told her that was not the point. I could have walked across the street from the Hampton Inn if that was the case. She then told me to book a room at the Hampton Inn (!!!!). I told her if it was possible I would, but the fiestas were in town that weekend and all the hotels were booked solid. After some prolonged silence and more rude exchanges she proceeded to hang up on me. To add injury to insult (and I can't help but wonder if it was retaliation) our room was not cleaned that day and we came back to the motel to find towels on the floor, overflowing trash cans and unmade beds. When I pointd this out to the desk clerk he told me all the cleaning staff had gone home and all they could offer were clean towels. When I addressed this with the manager the next day she offered me a 15% off stay on our next visit which is worthless because I will never go back there again!! To be fair I called corporate office and got a 10% refund but very much disagree with a policy that puts a customer who at the last minute decides to stay another night above someone else who had resevations for this two months in advance. It is just plain unfair. At the very least, good customer service would after I was told that I couldn't be in the room next to my famly, that a portion of my room cost would be comped because of the inconvenience, instead of being treated like I was breaking some sort of law by that manager. The only bright light was Omar the clerk who did his best to be helpful and was pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Silver City, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The room need a little updating, but made up for it in its size and cleanness. The room had a little separate area with a tv where people could hang out if they do not want to go to sleep the same time as their companion. The staff is very friendly and helpful in navigating the town. I also like the breakfast. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The first floor has some rooms that have direct access to the pool area, which is nice.