“Maybe for those on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Don Fernando de Taos
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Maybe for those on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Since we had only decided to visit Taos only a few hours earlier, we had no reservations at any hotels. Using our phones to determine pricing, we decided to stop at Hotel Don Fernando to see if they had vacancy. Sure enough, they did, and they do AAA discounts. Very inexpensive.

At check-in and check-out, the ladies who took care of us at the front desk were both nice and courteous.

All rooms are accessed from the outside rather than from an interior corridor, and they're spread out in different buildings on the same property. The lobby and lounge had been one large open area with soaring ceilings, so I was expecting the room to be a bit nicer than it was. Our room was tired and dated, but it did come with a nice mini fridge and microwave! The bathroom, on the other hand... It hadn't been cleaned very well - or at all - as there was still a used bar of soap and a hair in the tub, and the sink area was still marked with dried toothpaste splashes all over the faucet and countertop. Gross.

Thankfully the pillows and bed sheets were clean. And very comfortable, for that matter - we both fell asleep right away.

There is an indoor pool, but we didn't try it out. The hotel is located across the main street from Walmart and Taos Java.

The complimentary breakfast was strange. The pancakes were actually very good, the scrambled eggs were fine, but that was it. Not even anything to drink, including water or orange juice as the pitchers were empty. A half empty jug of warm milk sat there, and there was no cereal to eat it with. We were there for maybe 30 minutes, and never did we see any food or beverage get refilled, nor any kitchen staff we could have notified.

If the bathroom had been cleaner, I would have given it 4 stars. But if the price had been a little higher, I'd have given it only 2 stars.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have never written a review before, this stay changed that. From the moment I walked in things started to go wrong. My 5 year old daughter was performing and dancing in fiestas. We are from Santa Fe. I wanted to make this get away special for her so I made sure to get a hotel with a nice pool.... Well that's all we got. Lady on phone said "check in any time! We'll probably get you in before 3." Well we got there at about 2:55, there were probably atleast 7-8 people back behind the desk/little room next to front desk. Took a long time for anyone to acknowledge me let alone check me in.

One room or 2? They asked. 2 rooms... I had booked them about 3 weeks ahead... I needed 2 rooms. Well by the time they had finally checked us in we were almost late to my daughters performance. They said we couldn't go to the room yet because it still wasn't clean. I had to get my daughter ready in the lobby bathroom. Disgusting, dirty, no TP in stalls.

We then go to the plaza and her performance. Just assume room will be ready by the time we get back. Well we were wrong. We had a sheet and 1 pillow on each bed. Toilet was dirty and didn't flush, dust on almost everything, TV was completely useless/static in every channel. No fridge or microwave. Call to front, she apologizes, says she'll send maintenance over with blankets but that's pretty much all she could do because house keeping had left for the day...... OMG would've left at that point if it was an option. My grandmother is elderly and it would've been to much to find another place.

Well we go to pool, had a great time. Come back to give my daughter a shower or bath... What do you know.... ICE COLD WATER. Yep. So my poor baby got a freezing cold sponge bath at 10 pm. Couldn't let her sleep with the chlorine on her. Needless to say I will never recommend this hotel. I'll be adding pictures if there is an option. Employees try to be helpful and courteous. My hunch, HORRIBLE MANAGMENT. I'm such a laid back person, I don't let much get to me. But this whole experience was completely unacceptable. How dare you not put your well paying guests first. Just taking our money and not putting any of it back into the hotel to make it nicer or run better. I hope something changes and soon..... Don't come here!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Gmd2008

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Marion,Mi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The lobby area is very nice. The rooms are clean but worn out. The couch and carpet looked disgusting with all the stains. They use a heavy chemical to cover up the stink. Windows are dirty and cracked.

Room Tip: Not sure of any advantage with any rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We were given the keys to a room that had not been cleaned. It was a wreck. The housekeepers came running over with sheets and towels, but did not appear to have any other cleaning supplies with them. We went into the lobby with the intent of having a glass of wine while we waited for the room. My partner and I each went into the lobby restrooms. The Ladies room toilets were clogged and literally overflowing. I hear the Men's room was no better. At that point, we decided we just couldn't stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nancy A
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is Ok, but has seen better days. Room quality is a matter of luck. My sisters was OK but ours had no fridge or coffee maker and was dirty. Asked for a coffee maker and they said ok but one never appeared and when we asked again they said they had run out. wifi very slow.
Went to the bar to celebrate 4th July with a Margarita and they had run out of ingredients, but would get more mixers... next month! Breakfast was the saddest ever seen in over 25 yrs of global travel. :-(
Pool was nice and staff friendly, if somewhat disinterested.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Room was clean, location was good, but not as nice as the photo's. There are 5 different building and all of the ice makers have been removed from all of the buildings. The washing machines in the guest laundry didn't work. The building we were in was primarily rented out to local construction workers on a longer term basis but was not a problem except for the large construction trucks and tractors in the parking lot. We stayed two days and the room was NOT serviced by the housekeeping staff after the first day.

Room Tip: You can do better for the money
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Doug K
Compton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! Do to kids working here. And other inexperienced workers. I was staying in one of the rooms and it had mold on the walls. Sheets had stains on them it looked like a dog yook a piss on them. The towels were stain unknown from what. So I called the front desk to complain about it they transfered to housekeeping I talked to a boy name davon he did say sorry but nothing was done about it. So I walked to the front desk the girl that was there looked like she was 16. I ask her age guess what I was right 16yr old girl working by her self she didnt know what to do I had to wait for someone that knew what they were doing so the girl called someone. A black boy comes out from some hallway his name was davon he told me he was the head housekeeper. Again I asked for his age he also said 16yrs old. At that I went back to my room packed up my things checked out never went back. I thought it a good place to stay and looked good but service sucks

• Stayed May 2014