“Very Adequate Hotel, Great Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Don Fernando de Taos
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Amherst, New Hampshire
“Very Adequate Hotel, Great Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Don Fernando de Taos last week. Originally, we had booked the Sagebrush Inn. But upon checking in to the Sagebrush, we were HORRIFIED. The room was tiny and reeked, the carpet and furniture were stained, the bathroom was a nightmare, and to top it off, the walls were paper thin. Being on the first floor, we could here the thundering hooves of the people above (AKA normal footsteps). We went out to dinner, and upon discussing the problem with our waitress (DO go to the Downtown Bistro), they suggested the Hotel Don Fernando. Right after dinner, we went there to check out the hotel. The front desk clerk, Mele, was FABULOUS. He was really busy, but handled the rush with calmness and total courtesy. He looked for a room for us and made a key so we could go check it out. When we saw the room--a little dated, but clean and large--we decided to eat the cost of the Sagebrush and come over to the Don Fernando.

Mele made sure that we would be in a quiet room (which turned out to be the one he let us see), and we checked in. We went back to the Sagebrush, packed up and checked out. To their credit, the people at the Sagebrush were genuinely dismayed by our reaction to their hotel and graciously told us that we would not be charged for the room.

Our stay at the Don Fernando was easy. Again, while it was not a luxury property, the room was adequately clean, large and quiet. The free breakfast needed improvement. The eggs were really rubbery and the oatmeal was packets of instant. But the coffee was pretty good, there was fresh fruit and yogurt, and the staff was pleasant.

I do have to say that Mele was the best of their staff. He really made a difference, doing everything he could to ensure that we had a good stay. The price was really reasonable, the hotel is dog-friendly ($10 per pet per night fee), and it was clean and quiet. We had a good stay, and would stay there again.

Stayed May 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This property was initially built many years ago as a Holiday Inn. The layout of the hotel is so unique and very interesting as Taos has special building codes to follow.

It is now an independent hotel and they are doing a fair job of keeping this sprawling property up to speed. It had gone through a period of disrepair but as of now they are starting to put some money back into the place in the form of upgrades to the bathrooms and cleaning the place up in general.

When compared other places to stay in Taos this is one I would choose again. Always preview your room. For the price and as I said before compared to other hotels in Taos this is as good as it gets for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RonWhiteArtist
Thornton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and stayed at Don Fernando In Taos during spring break March 26, 2013. We choose this Inn because of cost, it has an indoor swimming pool for grandchildren, and from reviews it looked okay. First and foremost I was awaken at 1:30AM with bed bugs in my bed. My daughter was in another room we checked her beds and they too had bed bugs. Called the front desk ASAP and night manager stated he could move us to another room but could not guarantee us there would not be bed bugs in other rooms. I was able to put one of the bed bugs in a cup and took it to front desk and the manager said yes it was a bed bug. I asked if they had a problem with bed bugs in the past and he said yes but not lately! My family and I decided not to stay. We ended up going to another Inn at 3:00AM. What a nightmare. We spent the next day of our vacation at the laundromat. We did not want to bring them home to Denver.... The inn is disgusting! The rooms are outdated, room had stains on walls, sheets were old and torn, bathroom has tiles without caulking. We will never stay there again and will pass on to anyone that is interested in staying there to go elsewhere. DON'T STAY.............

Room Tip: Don't use the Don Fernando Inn Taos website. Do your homework on Traveladvisor. I took picture...
7 Thank Maria C
eagle0919, General Manager at Hotel Don Fernando de Taos, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
April 5,, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write TripAdvisor of your recent visit to the Hotel Don Fernando de Taos.

Needless to say, we were dismayed to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay.
We appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention, as it is the only way that we can correct and improve. We have confirmed one room with bugs, and have taken the necessary steps to take care of the problem, a our vendor is Orkin. The second room was not confirmed, but is quarantined as well. We highly value your trust and patronage, and would like an opportunity to regain both.

Thank you once again for taking time to write, and we look forward to an early opportunity of showing you we are capable of better.

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Texarkana, Texas, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Made our reservations on the phone for March 9th - 14th, clerk said Taos Ski Valley was only 10-12 miles from the hotel, (actually 22 miles one way). While making our reservations we told them we require a mini fridge for medication.
On March the 8th I get an email from the hotel Don Fernando Taos stating that from March 8th until the end of the ski season rooms were $55.00 per night for a king or two double beds. Upon check in I presented this email and was promtly told that this promotion was sent in error and didn't start until after the 17th, We argued for a minute until the general manager walked in, He stated that their corp office sent that too soon and would not honor it. My wife was calling around town looking for rooms, it was Spring break and none were availible. So we asked if there was a fridge in the room? clerk checked his computer to verify and said "yes sir and a microwave". we carry everything up to our room and no fridge! called front desk, clerk said "are you sure it's not in there?" said they would bring one or get us another room. 2 hours later I called front desk to check on the fridge, clerk said the general manager said the maintenance man would not move a mini fridge.... also told me they totally booked no other rooms availible (not true, at 2 AM I counted 21 cars/trucks in the parking lot).
The next morning, the free breakfast was only what you should expect for "free" (nothing is free, included in the room rate). The eggs were crumbles of chewy gum like stuff, oatmeal was instant and you make it yourself, yogurt was in a bowl (not chilled or on ice), all juices were watered down heavily, but the coffee was very good :).
When we returned to our room to get geared up to go skiing my girls pointed to a stain on thier blanket and two tears. I called the desk and was told that houskeeping may have missed that and the linens would be replaced while we were out today. After a day of skiing everyone wanted to relax in the pool and the adults in the hot tub.....the heated pool was not barely warm and NO HOT TUB !!! I went to the desk to be told "we didn't advertise a hot tub".

Day two my wife is still looking for another hotel, only to find we could only find rooms here and there and would reuire us to move each night and the rates were over $120 per night. I took pictures of the matress on our bed to the desk clerk showing the matress torn open all the way down the right side of the bed. My wife asked if anything had opened up and was told "yes, but it has only a king bed" Not going to work for the four of us. She asked for a roll a way bed, "yes, they will bring one right up!" an hour later my wife calls looking for the bed and is told "the maintenance man said it would be a fire hazzard to add it to the room. That night I went across the street to wal mart and bought 2 air mattresses for may wife and girls to sleep on.

As the pretty snow melted from the grass, now the large amounts of trash and dog poop was visible. At first I thought it wasn't noticed because of the snow and now it would be cleaned up......Wrong !! All of it was there until the 15th when we checked out. I told the desk clerk on the 13th about the trash and the poop, she said she would make a note of it. They have only one washer and dryer (heat element in dryer doesn't wrok well) and only have ice in the main building.

We went to ski, and ski we did! Taos Ski Valley is awesome!! Cottams Ski rentals were outstanding. Our expenses for fuel were up due to the drive each day to the slopes, we ate breakfast out (not planned) and even the lady at walmart knew about the horrible bedding at the Hotel Don Fernando!!!!!! They didn't honor their own discounts, this place is NASTY, Run Down and I guess no one there cares.

Once home my wife looked at our total expenses and we could have stayed slope side at the Edelweiss Hotel for $300.00 more for our entire week. We have already reserved rooms for spring break 2014 at the Edelweiss.

Room Tip: Do NOT STAY HERE !!! You can drive down the street less than 2 miles and stay in the Super 8 and it...
1 Thank Tim F
Marzex, General Manager at Hotel Don Fernando de Taos, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Tim F,

First of all please allow me to sincerely apologize for the many problems you encountered during your stay with us. We clearly “dropped the ball” and your valuable input has been noted as to how we should have handled things differently.

Our sincere desire is to take care of each of our guests and provide a wonderful stay. We always appreciate honest feedback such as yours. Please know that our hearts are in the right place and we do honestly work very hard to make our guests happy.

The Hotel Don Fernando de Taos is an excellent value and especially so during Spring Break, one of our highest occupancy periods. Yes, we are located approximately 21 miles from the Ski Valley but compared to $600- $725 per night for a double room in the ski valley, many skiers choose to stay in Taos proper.

We definitely do make every attempt to provide each of our guests with a really good complimentary breakfast to start out the day before hitting the slopes. We try to offer selections that appeal to everyone. We do provide a good assortment of options including, scrambled eggs, sausage links, assorted Dannon yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels and cream cheese, assorted breads, muffins and Danish pastry, hot cereal, 3 types of cold cereal, assorted fruit juices and freshly brewed coffee.

I would like to extend to you a warm invitation to please come back and see us at the Hotel Don Fernando and allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. I again thank you for your valuable and thoughtful input which we have used to make our hotel even better.

I am so delighted that your family enjoyed skiing in beautiful Taos. I am from Taos and we locals love nothing more than sharing our beautiful Taos with our esteemed visitors.

Ed Shelton GM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Many years ago this used to be a nice property. Not anymore ! Management hasn't done a thing to update the rooms and it is barely acceptable ! Smells of smoke the minute you walk in. Stained carpet, ratty drapes that don't hang correctly, busted windows, horrible bed, despicable threadbare bedding I wouldn't give to goodwill, old TV, old scratched furniture with holes in the fabric of the sofa bed! If we weren't skiing all day, I would have moved immediately ! I also asked for rooms that were next to each other and the front desk said they couldn't accomodate as they were booked . Not so, the were hardly full just lazy or since noone ever stays there the back casitas were simply closed. Hard to tell. Be aware there is no jacuzzi which after skiing is a necessity ! Don't bother staying here ! You will be highly disappointed.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed at the Don Fernando many times over the years. It has always been quiet, clean and comfortable... until now. I haven't stayed there in a year or so and man oh man has it gone down hill. I know that Motel 6 gets a bad rap for a budget motel but that place is the Taj compared to here: grimy carpet, holes filled with spackel, ice buckets with a visible layer of dust, cigarette burned bead spreads, flip locks that a single forceful kick would defeat and a "free" breakfast that was worth exactly what I paid for. I don't think they have put a dime's worth of maintenance in this place in who knows how long.

I tried to find some other place in town to stay, any place, but everything was booked for spring break. Next time I'll take a tent - just in case. At least that way I'll know that the bedding is clean.

Room Tip: Pick a different place to stay
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Clay W
eagle0919, General Manager at Hotel Don Fernando de Taos, responded to this review, March 18, 2013

We appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention, as it is the only way that we can correct and improve. We highly value your trust and patronage, and would like an opportunity to regain both.

newark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here due to the great price on Expedia. We stayed for 7 nights/8 days with airfare from PHL to ABQ for $416.00. After reading the reviews and for the price we paid my expectations were not much. But I do believe you get what you pay for. For all of the bad reviews I read before our trip I kept that in mind. We were totally and pleasantly surprised with our stay here. We checked in at midnight and the staff was very pleasant. We were in room 105. We were near the highway but right across from the lobby/breakfast/pool area. I couldnt hear the highway from the room at all or any noise for that matter. Just our last am when there was some kind of jack hammer going on outside. But again for approx 50.00 a night I was fine. It wasnt each am. We ate breakfast at the hotel every day during out stay. The eggs were cooked perfectly each day(we only had the buffet option our last day). The bacon also cooked perfectly. Homefries kind of stunk but for free once again can't really complain. We got coffee and juice with our meal and were able to order right off the menu. And more than one meal if we wanted. Tried the French toast and pancakes. Also fine. Oatmeal was a giant bowl. We were unable to eat it all. The housekeeping was very generous with toiletries. We had more than enough soup, shampoo and lotion. They straigned up all of our papers and tour books on more than one occasion. I was able to walk into town when the boyfriend had the car too. Shops and restaurants all along the way. I will totally stay here again when back in Taos. And the skiing is fabulous!

Room Tip: Room 105 was nice because we could walk right to the lobby. There was always parking. This would be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple