“Good business travel hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Dallas, Texas
“Good business travel hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed at this hotel several times on business trips. It's a nice respite from the chronic "folksiness" of Taos.

Typical to the Hampton chain with all the familiar ammenities. Good location just outside of town. Most of the leisure travellers are at the downtown hotels so you actually get some peace and quiet and can get some work done.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
findingmyamerica.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Hampton Inn was one of my favorite stops in PA and MI during my year long road trip. I loved the beds and down comforters, the dark furniture, and overall relaxing ambience.

This was not one of those kinds of Hampton Inns.

Utilitarian in nature, the room was clean but not well-decorated or very comfortable. The bedding looked like it belonged in a more budget-type of motel and the furniture was blonde and laminated.

On the plus side, the room was clean, as I stated, and the staff was friendly. The hotel is quiet and the grounds are well-maintained. Coffee and popcorn is available 24/7 in the lobby, and while I didn't eat the breakfast, it looked like a decent, if standard, spread.

I would recommend this Hampton to families and travelers who aren't looking for anything truly special, but just a place to rest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I usually like Hampton Inns and find them to be a good, reliable value, and when we first checked into this one I was pleased with the the cleanliness of the public areas despite the semi-friendly check-in clerk and the tiny, overcrowded room. Unfortunately we left immediately for dinner, turning the AC on as we left the hot room, and when we came back from dinner it became clear that the AC in the room was simply broken (unclear how long it had been broken or when/if the staff check it regularly to make sure it works). The air in the room was stuffy and hot, and the ground floor window had no screen. There is no way we could have slept in there comfortably that night, even if we had chosen to sleep with a screenless open window on the ground floor, much less used the hot jacuzzi tub that came with the room. The clerk claimed there were no other rooms to move to and offered no solution. After we complained and said we were leaving, her solution then was to call and say that the maintenance man "offered to send up a fan to help cool the room." When we expressed reluctance to sleep on the ground floor with an open window with no screen, as any hoodlum could climb in, she frostily stated "there are no hoodlums here." We advised her we would not pay $170 per night for a hot room without AC, and we left for the Super8 down the road, much cheaper, more spacious (king "suite" room) and with functional AC. To her credit, after the clerk knew we were leaving and we'd advised her we would complain to Hampton Inn customer service regarding the poor maintenance, she reversed charges on the room. I'm not sure if maintenance issues are a general northern New Mexico problem, or if this was an unusual problem for this Hampton and they are usually terrific.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed here for a night on a skiing trip to Taos in February 2010 and while it is pretty much your standard Hampton Inn, I thought it was very good value for Taos. It's certainly not right in the heart of Taos, but it's only a 5 - 10 minute drive to the center of town. Also, the staff were very friendly and helpful while I was there and the rooms were very clean, so I would certainly recommend this hotel for someone looking to stay in Taos on a budget and who doesn't necessarily have to stay very near the plaza.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Los Lunas, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

they have a theft problem or terrible bookkeeping. Stayed one night june 30, 2010 on business, couldnt take cash at night so had to use my personal credit card to hold room. checked out the next morning, july 1, 2010 pd cash $160 received $2.89 cash back and a machine printed receipt saying cash paid, then I left
checked my card statement on July 3 and say a charge for $157.16 from Hampton Inn, Taos NM called manager Rita told her about it she read me something that said "Cash paid, Cash refunded, Card charged". I let her know that was false and she said she would have to review the tapes and let me know what happened.
Well it has been over a month, nothing has been done. Now the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General's Office and the Credit card company are involved....What a shame, all Hampton Inn had to do was refund my money back to my card....Now they have alot of explaining to do. I will get my money back, but what a cost to them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was an average Hampton Inn, but the management and service were POOR.
I booked a non-smoking, King. I was given room #100. This room is IN THE HOTEL LOBBY, five feet from the check in desk. I asked for a different room, but was told they were completely booked. The lobby flooring, (ceramic tile) extended right to the door of my room, and channelled every sound right under the door.
I had to put up with the noise of guests in the lobby TV area, chatting and laughing until 2:00 AM. I was woken up at 5:30 AM by several loud patrons, who were talking, and telling jokes for 45 minutes. The desk clerk couldn't ask them to quiet down because they were IN THE LOBBY. When checking out I spoke to "Raymond" who told me he was the owner of the hotel.
I complained vigorously about the room and it's location. Raymond told me that the room was designed to be a meeting room, but the contractor goofed and built it as a guest room.
He conceded that it was their "worst room." I told him I was very unhappy with the situation and that the room should not be rented as a guest room. I also said I was unhappy about paying retail rates for such substandard lodging. Raymond offered no concession, or rate reduction of any kind. He simply smiled and said "hope you'll visit again." Clueless!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I won 2 free nights at another motel in Taos. After one "free" miserable night, we moved to the Hampton. The room was very clean and the bed was soft and comfortable. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Very nice experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple