“Nice place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Nice place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had been camping in the Carson National Forest and were ready for a nice comfy bed and a hot shower. Remembered this passing by this hotel....the sign stood out, it has a cat sleeping! Anyway, called to see if there was a vacancy...the clerk, Angel, was very nice and helpful. Once we got in the room it was clean, nice, quiet and just what we needed. Great night sleep and a nice continental breakfast in the morning. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: King size beds were super comfy. Our room also had a microwave and refrigerator which was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was a nice place to stay. The front desk was kind and courteous. The room was clean and well set up. This hotel claims to be be kid and pet friendly, so we expected there to be a lot of kids and animals. This was the case the first night. The walls are thin so we were able to hear activity around and over us during the evenings. There was a family a couple doors down from us who allowed their kids to run around being loud until late into the evening. To myself, the bed felt almost too firm, but my wife liked it just fine. The second night was better than the first for us. Their complimentary breakfast was good. It included cereal, pastries, fruit, and even waffles. They have the breakfast available until 9:30am, which we were late for our last morning there. It is ok because McD is just down the road. With the location being right on the main road, it was easy to get to Taos Plaza and the shopping. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Reserve early, they fill up on the weekends.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Whiten Inn is a dated motel on the main drag of Taos. Reception nice and helpful. Parking lot views. But, comfortable rooms with quiet air conditioning. Microwave and refrigerator, plus coffee maker with no coffee. Close to Taos Plaza, but not really walking distance except for hikers! The price is the highlight at $72 for a two queen room. Labor Day is a very busy day in Taos and rooms are hard to come by. Staying one night and then moving on.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Woodland Park, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I arrived in Taos late with no room reservations and I thought the Whitten Inn looked decent from the exterior. It was also reasonably priced. I was planning on staying two nights in Taos so I booked for two nights. That was a big mistake. The hotel is run down and needs a lot of work. There was a shopping cart on the 2nd floor for some reason by the maintenance area. When we got up to our room, we went straight to bed. The room looked ok to my travel weary eyes. I was disgusted however when I awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. There was dirt and hair all over the bathroom floor. I went back to bed since it was so late. In the morning I went to check out early and was told that they have a no refunds policy. This is not posted anywhere in the lobby. I explained that my room was dirty and although I would gladly pay for the night I stayed, I wanted my money back so I could find a room somewhere else for the next night. I was then told the manager would not be in until 3 and I would have to wait. At this point, I told the girl at the front desk that she needed to call her manager. She was then somehow able to get a hold of her manager and also I was told there was an on site manager and he would be down in 20 minutes. So I waited about 25 minutes. The on site manager arrived and told us he would have to look at the room. He returned about another 5 minutes later with a large clump of hair and then proceeded to accuse us of leaving it there! I have never been treated this way by people at any establishment before. I am simply stunned. I do not recommend staying here at all. All in all, it took an hour to get our money back for the night we didn't even stay. As I was waiting, I began to look around the lobby. There was trash on the floor, there is a drinking fountain that has a scummy dust type stuff all over it, the floors were dirty, the furniture was stained. Yuck. I also called the 800 number for the chain and although the woman who called me was very friendly, they really didn't offer to do anything to remedy the situation besides tell me they would talk to the manager.

Room Tip: If you are going to take a chance and try it, pay for one night at a time!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon arrival the desk clerk informed my wife that no reservation was on file. My wife told her that she had made a reservation several weeks prior and at that time was upset that they offered no confirmation number or other proof. The clerk said the people involved were no longer employees so maybe that was the problem. She had rooms available so we were okay but she added that if we had arrived the previous weekend we would've been out of luck. That's discomfiting.

Having stayed at the Whitten Inn in Abilene, TX, we didn't expect much in the way of room quality and probably would've booked elsewhere but we had our dog and Whitten was at least "reasonable" about their pet up-charge. Too bad there's not a La Quinta in Taos. As it is, the rooms were clean, beds decent, noise minimal, plenty of parking, so except for the absence of a reliable reservation system I would recommend the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights on our week long journey through New Mexico. The front desk clerks were so sweet and helpful. They accomodated our request for a room on the top floor. The room had two queen size super comfy beds and was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was good and fresh. Our stay was lovely!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were going to camp but the weather was horrible. We needed a cheap place to stay at the last minute. We found this hotel through web search and called them up. The staff was all very friendly. My kids sang them a song and we got half off our room, no joke! We got a late checkout since we checked in late, free breakfast, and they let my kids swim in the pool after checkout.

It's not the Ritz but for the price one of the best places I have stayed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family