“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Southlake, Texas
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I recently had a four night stay at the Whitten with my 10 y/o daughter for Spring Break. When comparing the overall value to the hotel amenities and service, I have to give the Whitten a very solid score. The Whitten came under new ownership several years ago and you can tell that they are making an effort to improve the overall condition. The indoor pool and hot tub were both double the size of what I would consider normal for this type of property. The pool was heated to the extent that I didn't feel the need to hit the hot tub. It was just that comfortable after a long day of skiing. Since it was Spring Break, the Inn was busy but not so much as to be a detriment to the overall service. The staff was pleasant and the morning breakfast fare was consistent. The staff did a good job of making sure that it was well stocked during the busy periods. Wireless internet is available, while I was kicked off a couple of times, there were several different connections and I was always re-connected in short order. When I hear people complain about internet connections, I would like to remind them that the more expensive the hotel, the more they charge for internet...and here it is free. Finally, for those not wanting to drive up to Ski Valley, the shuttle stops right in front of the hotel and is very convenient. This came in handy when I had a car issue. I would note that the Inn's owner offered to assist my daughter and I by arranging for a ride to the slopes and thereafter we used the shuttle. This was above and beyond the norm in my mind.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

In my opinion, the Whitten Inn is a good value and good place to stay. Our experience was great. Our children loved the indoor pool, which was warm enough to play in for an hour, thankfully. Our room was very clean, and the bathroom areas were modern and clean. The refrigerator and microwave were really nice to have for our extended stay, and we were able to hook up a portable DVD player to the flat-screen 32" television to watch our movies we brought along. Cable provided four or five dedicated children's channels, also, including Disney and Nickelodian, among the usual other cable channels. The included breakfast each morning was really welcome, with breads, danish, cereals, orange juice, coffee and make-your-own waffles. From our own personal experience, management is conscientious; they care about their guests and want them to have a good experience. If you demand perfection, you are more likely to enjoy the Four Seasons Hotels, but if you value your money and are a little flexible, you'll enjoy the Whitten Inn. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Southlake, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The internet and actual drive-up appeal is good...the exterior of the property is well maintained...but the appearance of quality ends here.

The bathroom sink was old with its coating wearing off which gave it a dirty appearance. The toilet required an arm twisting push on the handle to start the flush process. The shower was difficult to regulate hot and cold water. The microwave had to be replaced.

Daily maid service amounted to bed make-up only. The trash was not emptied over the three nights I stayed there and I found paper notes the maid was using left in my sink.

Morning breakfast was very cheap. Bananas were either over or under ripe, cereal was stale and the waffle mix was bland. I was refused a banana after skiing since it was not breakfast time. The dining area was cramped and not appealing.

There was a discount on price...but other properties in town were price-competative and provided a better value for the money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Denton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My hubby and I chose Whitten Inn mainly because of the price. We searched websites looking for the best hotel for the best price possible. We had a limited budget and so had very few options. Whitten Inn caught our eye because it was very affordable and had a continental breakfast included, plus an indoor pool and hot tub.

Now for the price we got it for, we knew it wouldn't be great. So we were pleasantly surprised to see it has been pretty well kept and was pretty clean. Of course, I gave it the once over with a Clorox wipe but I do that everywhere. It is old but well maintained. It isn't falling apart by any means but everything is outdated. The beds might be the worst part--hard as a rock!

In the end, we got what we paid for and were glad to see it wasn't a roach motel!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We were passing through Taos for a night in December and were glad to find the Whitten. We weren't sure what to expect from the TripAdvisor reviews, but we were relieved to find a clean room and a friendly staff waiting at the Whitten. For the price in Taos, it's a good option.

• Stayed December 2011
nm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Great price for the room! The kids enjoyed the indoor pool while it was raining outside. Other places we looked at were of less quality and at much higher rates.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Desk staff was extremely polite and helpful. Room was extremely clean , nice size and very reasonable rates. They were helpful in getting our room cancelled due to a fire in the couples home we were traveling with. Would recommend this hotel and they do care about the people that come to stay with them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Whitten Inn? Share your experiences!