“Friendly, clean and accommodating” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4 Nights from $169 Single
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Minneapolis, MN
“Friendly, clean and accommodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Excellent rate in Taos--happily honored my discount coupon. Very quiet rooms and setting despite being on the busy road. Everything seemed to be redone here and it shows the management cares about this facility. Very convenient to the Plaza. Staff very helpful about recommendations and directions.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

The place is nice looking and centrally located so we stopped as the first of several places we intended to check out. The front desk guy quoted us a high-ish price (standard for Taos) because we have 2 teens. When we said thanks, we'd prob. be back, he lowered the price and offered us $25 off. We jumped at it.

The rooms are clean and adobe style, the bathroom shows a little wear but there's plenty of hot water. The beds are good quality and SOFT-a relief after camping for 4 days. Pool and continental breakfast (with hard boiled eggs) are average.

When we asked about nearby laundromats, they let us use their hotel washer/dryer-which went above and beyond normal service. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
jfslenes, Owner / manager at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Thank you so much for the compliments. Sounds like Daniel was doing his "sales" job well. We receive many compliments about his effort at being the "Guest tour guide". Come back soon.
albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

The Inn was basic, but it was quite comfortable and in a great location. The room was large, the linens and towels clean, nice mattress, enough closet space and even TV and pool. The only comment I’d give that the carpet needed some vacuuming. Good selection for breakfast, free ice and parking. AC unit worked great. There is a Smith’s across the street (grocery store) and we even tried dinner at Downtown Bistro next door (great food). An easy walk to Taos Plaza, but you need a car to go to Taos Pueblo or other sights (thus it’s great to have free parking). The price we got on line was good, so at that rate I would highly advise this Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
jfslenes, Owenr / manager at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Glad we provided good service and thanks for posting your comments! Your points about linens makes me let folks know that we spend a bit more than other similarly styled lodging properties on beds and linens cause that's the most contact Guests have with us. Hope we get you back and serve your referrals too!
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

As we were travelling on a budget this was a good option for us and apart from the carpet in our room, everything else was clean and in good order. Staff were pleasant and friendly and a continental breakfast was included. Would recommend this motel to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Va.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I read Trip Advisor before staying here, and was very impressed with the manager's detailed responses to the public's rants and raves. It is obvious that he/she is very concerned about the public's experience at this property. I had a Roomsaver coupon, only to learn that the posted price outside the building was a bit lower! The lady check-in clerk was very pleasant and helpful. Some of the amenities you might be interested in are: outside swimming pool (it was too cool to swim in early June), grassy picnic area, two blocks walk to Taos Plaza, grocery store across the street, larger than normal room, continental breakfast, WiFi, and Cable TV. My room was very clean and pleasant. The price is on the low end in this area, which makes Indian Hills Inn a great bargain. I would highly recommend this property to fellow travelers.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Camp Hill, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I stayed for one night at the Indian Hills Inn after hearing rave reviews about Taos. I got in just after dusk, and was cheerfully quoted a very reasonable walk-in rate for a Friday night ($55), especially compared with other hotels and B&Bs in the immediate area, near downtown Taos. The check-in was smooth, although the rate ($59 + tax) was several dollars higher than what I had been quoted, I didn't catch that til later, after I had left, but at this point it's no big deal. The lady at the front counter who worked in the evening was very friendly and sociable, and gave me several tips on what to see, where to eat, and things to do in/around Taos, as well as maps and tourist info. She also gave me a nice little grab bag full of useful little tidbits, stuff like that goes a long way in showing sincerity.

The room was well-appointed and very large, I had a nonsmoking with 2 queen, and for just myself, it was more than adequate. It had some snazzy southwestern-style comforters on the bed, and the walls and bathroom had all been freshly painted. The room was quiet, the A/C and heat worked fine. There is a large pool, but it was closed for the season. The only issue with the room was the spotty Wi-Fi connection, which worked fine when I first got there, then crapped out later that night, and didn't work again until the next morning, and even then, it was only half-decent. The guy at the desk claims it often does that; my question to him is, if that's the case, why not get it fixed so it stops doing that, for your paying guests?

Perhaps the best part of the hotel is the excellent location, just down from Taos Plaza and the center of Taos, within easy walking distance, even at night. There are all manner of shops, galleries, restaurants, and historical sites to check out, and Taos itself is just full of flavor. There is a McDonald's right next door which must be the busiest McD's I've ever seen in my life, it was a nonstop parade in and out of there on a Saturday morning.

The other great feature, which was not to be, was the location near Taos Pueblo, about 2 miles away through town. HOWEVER, it is apparently closed for religious ceremonies, from early February thru mid-March (at least in 2009), and I was highly disappointed to learn this, as I was told to NOT miss this most authentic of the native pueblos. The very kind and helpful girl who worked during the morning on Saturday must not have known that, because she was telling me to not miss it and told me how to get there. I would only advise that perhaps the staff members should keep up on what one of the town's bigger attractions has going on, because I know others who wanted to see it and were disappointed, as well. Some come from even further than I did (PA) to visit. I certainly do not blame her or any staff there, but like I said, someone should have known that and passed that info on, especially to someone like me who was there to do historical research, and was denied access to the pueblo.

All in all, I had a very pleasant stay in Taos and at the Indian Hills Inn, it has a great location and a great value for the money. The staff seemed to try hard to be sincere and to make sure you have a decent stay. Just be sure you get the rate that you are quoted at the desk or over the phone. Not perfect, but a very decent quality motor inn.

• Liked — Great location, friendly ladies working at front desk, excellent value
  • Disliked — Iffy Wi-Fi connection, lack of knowledge about area tourist attractions
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ridgway, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

The Indian Hills Inn may be conveniently located near the Taos Plaza, but my room was nearly unlivable. Dirty sheets from previous guests were still on the two beds, complete with hairs and used toothpicks! After 10PM the lobby was closed and no room change was possible. Decided to sleep on top of the soiled sheets and not between them. The next morning at check-out I complained to the clerk behind the desk, who responded she would "tell housekeeping." A large sign near the check-in/out desk stated "no refunds unless personally approved by the owner." The owner was nowhere to be found. Due to this experience I now travel through Raton for my overnight stay versus Taos on my way to visit family in Texas twice a year. After several calls to the New Mexico state health department, it became clear that no one knew to whom a formal health complaint should be made.

• Liked — nearness to Taos Plaza
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Indian Hills Inn? Share your experiences!