“Owner must pocket money, not put back into hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   413 Paseo del Pueblo Norte, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #17 of 18 hotels in Taos
COlorado
“Owner must pocket money, not put back into hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Kachina Lodge was a great hotel 25 years ago when it was a Best Western. I guess there was a reason they lost that franchise. The place looks exactly like it did 25 years ago, and I mean EXACTLY. There has been nothing done to keep the the place up to date, or up to par. They still advertise that they have these amenities, but they are no longer there. The restaurant -CLOSED, the Coffee Shop - CLOSED, the hot tub - CLOSED. 3 of the 5 ice machines - BROKEN. I was told by the front desk the law says they can only have the pool open or the hot tub open, not BOTH at the same time. What a line of GARBAGE! I checked with the Taos Visitor Center, they said there was no such law. I can tell you that this was once a great property to stay at in TAOS. No longer. I would not recommend it at, even if it is cheap. There is a reason for that. They still have 19 inch tube TV's in the rooms. There has been no money put back into this hotel. My son touched one of the metal bars on the fence around the pool and it fell off. Stay away. Try across the street at the El Pueblo Lodge.

Room Tip: Try across the street at the El Pueblo Lodge.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We were told our rooms would have a refriderator and we were offered a team rate for 10 plus guests. We checked in on Friday June 13 and our room had no refriderator to put my wife's insulin. My daughter was playing softball all day in the wind, so you can just imagine how dirty we all were. All we could think about was taking a shower. We got back to our room around 8pm, just to find out our room wasn't cleaned and no towels. I walked down to the front desk and spoke to Heather. I asked why our room wasn't cleaned and also asked for towels. She advised me we had gotten good team rates for our rooms and Mr. Koop had told her if we didn't like it we could pack up and leave. Upset with the answer I kept my cool and went back to our room without any towels. I would never book our team at this place or will I recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
cheryl w, General Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
This Trip Advisor report was by a chaperone of the softball team of young boys stayed in the same building area as the guest Arenee Hernandez who made the immediate previous report.

We didn't seek any extra from them for extraordinary necessary cleaning needed by their rooms and replacement of un reusable stained towels.

In any event they are welcome to visit our hotel again, but please don't damage the furnishing and be normal to our staff.

W. Dean Koop, General Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights for softball tournment came back after 8pm after being at the fields since 7am walked into our room not cleaned no clean towels so walked up to front desk and heather said there was nothing she could do and we got rooms that run 129.00 a night you recieved them 60.00 and your going to make a complaint i told her that is the rate they gave us no matter the price we paid for services. She then responded Mr.Koop said if you dont like it you all can leave. I will post this on every site i can find that has kachina lodge on it and advise travelers my horrible experience .we booked over 10 rooms to get treated like this.

• Stayed June 2014
Our account of your stay revealed that you sought a lot of unreasonable demands during the evening and night time while you drank alcoholic beverages and red wine amongst the twelve to fifteen year old baseball team boys you were chaperoning.

After being beside the pool and then taking their beverages to a group of three adjacent rooms on the balcony; about 9pm red wine was spilled on the carpet, sheets and pillows with a towel used to wipe it up. At this time a drinking person was demanding maid service immediately.

Also, one of the doors to the balcony was found kicked in breaking through a dead bolt lock of the room.

This is why the front desk room sales person called the owner in a fearful mode - asking what she should do because they were threatening to leave the Hotel.

We're not charging for their damages and they are welcome here when not in an excessive drinking mood.

W. Dean Koop, General Manager
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed 3 nights & 4 days at this lodge. When we checked in; the desk clerk who assigned our room was pleasant.We were assigned a room way in the back of the lodge????Our room was clean but had a musty smell so I had to spray with peppermint spray to get rid of the smell. The bathroom area was in need of an update. The vanity area was okay. Our room was located on the top floor located in the rear of the lodge & was very quiet except for one night we heard dog barking in the room below us for an extended period. The bed was very comfortable. The room did not come with a refrigerator or microwave so we brought our own cooler loaded with drinks. There was an extra charge if you requested a refrigerator or microwave in the room. I'm not sure if this was the case for other rooms.

On our 3rd day stay; my granddaughter wanted to swim in the pool and to our dismay; the water was cold even though it was advertised that the pool was heated and the hot tub was not working. A couple that we met at the pool stated that the hot tub was not working the day before.

The common areas in the lodge where the rooms were located were untidy with debris on the steps and landing. The ice machine located in our building barely worked the day that I wanted ice.

Our first night stay; we had soft fluffy towels and face cloths but when they were replaced; the towels & face cloths were rough. I guess you get what you pay for.

We enjoyed the hot menu ordered breakfast. I guess that was the highlight of this stay.

We booked through Hotels.com.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My first impression was hopeful.
Walking to my room it's age was truly obvious. The room was very outdated. The exterior entry was gross. Pigeons have set up home along the entry. Rotting ceilings, yuck!
It is a great location is great is all it has going for it.

• Stayed June 2014
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nice, clean rooms with vigas, and territorial ambiance. The kind of place you go in order to experience the area, as opposed to just driving through. Breakfast was average, but certainly adequate to fuel for a trip around town.

Room Tip: if setting reservation by internet, keep copy of confirmation available.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I made a reservation at Kachina for Spring Break for four friends (4 nights). Even though I cancelled the reservation, they charged the full, four-night stay to my card (AFTER I cancelled my reservation), and then refused to refund me the money for over a month. Only after I got a lawyer, and he threatened to call the DA's office, did I finally get my money back--and that was without any extra for the inconvenience and lawyer fees. Avoid Cheryl Webster and Kachina at all costs!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center? Share your experiences!