“PRETTY DISGUSTING” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“PRETTY DISGUSTING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We arrived in Taos early, so we went to the hotel to check our reservation and park so we could walk around. It was not a problem, the woman found our reservation and we left. We returned at 3pm to check in and the reservation was not there. The woman we originally talked to was confused as she had seen it in the computer earlier. A "director" came over and was very rude and told the woman who we had talked to earlier that she hadn't seen it and went so far as to blame my husband for why it wasn't there. He had called in April to reserve. The director made a big effort to show us how inconvenienced she was, but finally gave us a room. The room was so gross. Dirty, dingy, dead flies, the tv didn't work, the beds were hard and everything was just old and poorly taken care of. Reminded me of those hotels where they take the black light and find all sorts of bodily fluids all over the bedding. I woke up early and wanted to just get out of there. We checked out the breakfast and nothing appeared appetizing. It has the potential to be a nice property, but right now it is a run down mess.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed there last night with my son. He wasn't feeling well or I would have demanded another room. However I didn't hold out any hope that it would have been any different. The room was old and tired. Tub dirty, hairs in my bed, blood on son's comforter. Peeling paint and mold on bathroom ceiling. All of this for an outrageous price. When I complained at checkout I was given a form to fill out and a sorry. No offer of any refund or discount. We also decided to not avail ourself of the free breakfast as I was wary about what the kitchen must be like if the room was so dirty. I would never recommend this motel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Quincy, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Don’t do it. Spend your money elsewhere if you want a restful night’s sleep without listening to a motor run all night somewhere outside your room. The hot tub will SCALD you. The breakfast is boring with one wait-staff serving as waiter and cook – don’t be expecting a coffee warm up in a timely manner. If you happen to be charged the incorrect amount when checking out - don't believe Elizabeth when she tells you the correct amount will show up on your account and don’t expect a refund. Cheryl Webster, the owner/manager, will never return your call or post a credit to your account. Obviously they’ve been reported to the Better Business Bureau before as their current rating is an “F”. Plus, their rating on Trip Advisor speaks for itself. Don’t do it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family and I were very disappointed with the service that we had received at this hotel. It started when we checked in. We were quoted a different price then what they wanted us to pay for the room. Then the room had a leaking toilet which was loud enough to keep a person awake. The rooms were hot and the air conditioner didn't work. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MONTE VISTA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Horrible experience!! Way over priced for very out dated rooms!! We got what was said the King Deluxe!! Well they have that ALL wrong! My husband was laying on the bed when it fell! The bed was bowed to begin with so that should have been the first clue! Then middle of the night I get up and there on the tile was what I thought was a cock roach but my husband insists it was a beetle! I didn't get much sleep after that for fear it would come nuzzle up to me in the bed!! We will never stay there again and will not recommend it! Travelers keep on driving!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had the good fortune today to be visiting Taos for the day during my weeklong tour of New Mexico. I had to drive over the mountains through a small snow storm, and was weary when I arrived so opted to go across the street from our lovely motel to eat at the Kachina in the main bar/restaurant. BIG mistake.
We go in, and there is NO ONE in the place. Should have been my first sign. The bartender then explains that she is working alone, and that no one else showed up for work. While I felt sorry for her it was uncomfortable having her share her woes when all I wanted was a beer and a menu.
I really should establish a timeline here. We arrived at 530 pm. We were served our drinks at about 545. We got menus at about 6. We ordered at about 620. (See a pattern here?) It gets better. I asked for a salad with no dressing. I even made a joke about my liking my food undressed. It is not like she would not remember this. I got it SMOTHERED In dressing, I let this go. My mothers food arrives at about 720 pm. my dinner arrives a full half hour later, cold and not at all appealing. I must reiterate that the waitress/bartender was doing her best but seemed overwhelmed, and at the least ..bitter, and she shared that frequently.
The server did her best to repair the situation by deducting stuff from our check but the bottom line is...I needed to eat a nice dinner, not get a discount on a dreadful one. Go find another place to eat in Taos. At least till they get some staff here, and a chef who cares what the food looks and tastes like on presentation to the customer. Epic fail.

Room Tip: Just do not eat here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were looking for a basic room for an overnight stay in Taos. Best Westerns usually fit that bill. While room was spacious and price reasonable, the service was lacking and staff unhelpful and unprofessional (didn't really need to overhear how the clerk got her black eye).

First impression was a stonefaced older clerk who was not welcoming at all. Should have been our first clue. Later, two staff could not provide simple directions out of Taos towards Albuquerque and had no idea where to get a map. Building is showing age and decorations are dated. Only working ice machine was across the property. Waitress friendly but breakfast cold and unimaginative - very few options. Fan clicked throughout the night.

Would definitely not recommend to friends or even strangers.

Shame... location would be perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center? Share your experiences!