“Management is unhospitable and rude” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Adobe Wall Motel

Adobe Wall Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taos
Adobe Wall Motel
227 Kit Carson Road, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #15 of 18 hotels in Taos
Austin, Texas
“Management is unhospitable and rude”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

As some other reviews have said, the owner is less then cordial...specifically Donna. Her husband is nice. She is very abrupt and seems to have no times for her guests; not even to answer a question. She acts bothered if you ask her anything. On the phone she is even worse. She is quick to hang up before you are even done inquiring. I have stayed there many times. It is a cute and quaint place, with fireplaces in the room. I like it because it is not a generic hotel room. It is rustic and had charm. I have a positive review of how much I have liked it buried somewhere in these reviews. Donna was always rude, but I have just put up with it. On this trip, I chose to stay somewhere else because when I called to see if my favorite room was available, she snapped at me. It was available, but her less than welcoming attitude didn't make me wanna stay there. It's as some of the other reviewers said: It's a cute place with a lot of charm, but the bedside manner of the owner's wife is so bad, that i would rather pay more to stay somewhere else

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We were on a cross country trip from Chicago to San Fran and stopped off in Taos for a 3 day stay. We stayed at the Adobe Wall Motel. It was a 15 minute walk from town center and very affordable. at about $50 a night. The room was a bit run down, but very large for only 2 people. I felt safe there too.

At the end of October is the best time to go when they have the Taos balloon rally. What a site it was. We even got to go up in a balloon and see the area from the sky. Was $150 but worth it to go up with 30 other balloons. It was definitely a highlight of the trip.

As for dining and drinking, the margaritas there are amazing as is the beer. We went to Eske's brew pub. It was a bit pricey as we were on a budget. We also went to the alley cantina where they had live music and a splendid happy hour special invlolving margaritas. Thats about all I remember of that night. For a bite to eat of breakfast and lunch you must go to Michaels Cafe. Great breakfast and great prices. Hands down.

Of course we went to the pueblo and that was worth the $10 admission and $5 for a camera. The people are very friendly to have us walking through their homes. The place was very empty giving the pueblo a unique feeling as though it wasnt a tourist attraction, but a place with very proud residents and rich history.

Overall Taos was great for live music, margaritas and Southwest Native American History. The people were all very friendly to answer our tourist questions and guide us in the right direction.

Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We have stayed at The Adobe Wall Motel for years. Ted And Donna are the managers and we think they are the best. A very clean motel. That is what drew us there first. My wife and I love the non-commercial feel of the place and it is old. Ted told me it was built around the turn of the century and yet one of the cleanest Motels We have ever stayed in. We highly reccomend the Adobe Wall motel and if you ever have any questions about the area, Ted and Donna have been there for 28 years!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
FLORIDA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I heard about this hotel from a friend and I must say I LOVED staying here! Being as that I have never stayed there I was a bit skeptical but from the moment I pulled into the quaint propety I was relieved. After checking in and meeting the motel's manager, who was so gracious and accomidating all my worries disappeared. Thank you so much Adobe Wall staff for making this last trip to The Land Of Enchantment the trip of a lifetime. I WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I have stayed at the Adobe Wall Motel for 10 years. The gardens are gone now, but the courtyard is still there every morning when i wake up. The quiet in the morning, drinking coffee in the courtyard is peaceful. The price is excellent for Taos. If you want nicer rooms, nicer employees and bigger bathrooms, go spend $150+ down the street. I personally will continue to go to The Adobe Wall Motel for years to come. I go to Taos for the beautiful town, its art, its Indian culture and its surroudings , not the room and the bed. And with out the Adobe Wall, I could not afford Taos. That motel quiets me. Leaving my stressful and busy life, waking up behind the Adobe Walls and going out under those trees into that courtyard make me stop and become peaceful. Isn't that what vacations are for?

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Good motel, clean rooms. Awesome century old cottonwoods in the backyard, 5-10 minute walk to the historic town. It is on the busy street, but at night there are no cars at all. I've stayed in room 8 wich is the closest to the road and the were no cars at night, it isn't NYC! On the inside wall there is a crack or two in the adobe - but it just adds the character to the place. Don't forget the fireplace (they sell the duralog for $5 in the office). Also if you ask, owners will allow you to keep the car on the motel's lot even after you checked out so that solves the problem of parking in the old historic center. No complaints about staff; polite, effective.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I chose this place based on their recommendation and I was VERY disappointed. When I booked the room a couple of weeks in advance, the woman who answered the phone was short with me and seemed annoyed at times by my questions. When we arrived the place seemed old school, funky and a bit run down so we asked to see the room before we had her run our credit card. She got agitated by our request abruptly asking us where we were from (I answered) followed by a scolding that when in Taos they (Adobe Wall) don't charge you for backing out but everyone else in town expects full payment for the nights reserved etc...blah blah blah. She then angrily threw the key at us and said just bring it back right away if you don't want it and then walked out of the room followed by a huff and a sigh of disgust. That did it for me. I wanted to tell her to go to hell, but decided to take a look a the room anyway. I brought the key back right away and left. We drove up the street and found a modern, clean room with no problem, no lecture and it was last minute...hmmm.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Adobe Wall Motel? Share your experiences!