“New Place, Ho-hum experience” 3 of 5 stars

+1 575-751-3020
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Martyrs Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 110 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Continental
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Martyrs Lane
Description: Fine Dining Taos Style! We offer a wonderful selection of organic meats, locally grown salads, custom made desserts, and much more! Patio seating available. Large parties. Private party building. Catering.
Pine, Colorado
“New Place, Ho-hum experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Yes, I know this is a steakhouse and I'm a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish. So, I suppose my review could be construed as biased from the outset. But consider this: Firstly, my Makers Mark & 7 was just fine as that is something hard to do wrong. Then came the bread, or what they touted as bread. These were about three inch strips of the thinnest bread fare I have ever eaten. If you held it between your thumb and forefinger, it drooped as as piece of overcooked asparagus. Next came the lobster bisque which was the highlight of the dinner. Very rich, very tasty with chunks of lobster within. I ordered the 8 oz Salmon, oven roasted on a cedar plank, and topped with cilantro pesto. I do not know what cleverness or presentation the proprietors thought the cedar plank would provide to the dish, but, as a practical matter, it was quite difficult to keep the slap of fish on the plank. Beside that, the salmon was quite blah, and undercooked in the middle. I finished off with the bread pudding. Good stuff, that. So, the experience was ho-hum, and if I'm ever in Taos I probably will forego another trip to Martyrs. He just wasn't that good for the cost of the meal. Oh, the waitress was quite bubbly and efficient.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rik B, General Manager at Martyrs Steakhouse, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
We are happy you enjoyed your server during your dining experience. I apologize to hear about your salmon being undercooked. By any chance, did you inform your server that your salmon was undercooked, so we could cook it to the perfect temperature for you. We encourage our servers to inform guests that the salmon comes out medium rare which can appear undercooked if our guests aren't expecting it. I apologize for the bread. Usually we serve thick cuts of bread and we must have been out of our usual during your visit. Please come back in and give us a second chance. Tell us who you are and we will gladly perfect your next experience.

“Great meal with wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were in Taos for the night and after reading a few menus while walking through town, we made reservations at Martyrs. Dinner was fantastic. I had the 8oz filet which was perfectly cooked. My husband had the prime rib and he ate every bite! The salads were very fresh and tasteful - the dressings were obviously homemade and very good. All the sides were also very fresh and flavorful. It was a very good meal!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you ever so much for your encouragement and wonderful review. We love the feedback and look forward to your next visit with us-
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“New Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We arrived early for some tapas and drinks. Staff was preparing for the evening and showed a spirit of teamwork and cooperation. This spirit came through as fantastic service. Ended up staying for a great dinner. Make sure you try the french fries with truffle oil and a steak.

Visited October 2013
I always love hearing positive feedback about our staff of excellence. We are grateful to have such a wonderful group of people that do in fact work together as a team. This delights me to know you feel the same. We look forward to your next visit.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Absolutely Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great dining experience. For being open such a short time, they have their act together.

We made reservations. . .good thing. Well appointed. Excellent wait staff. Food well prepared, though a bit salty. I had the lobster bisque. Best I've had. DH had the onion soup. It was also excellent. Steaks prepared exactly as we wanted them. The creme brule's presentation was a bit contrived. Yes, dinner took a bit of time. We never felt pushed. But, this was fine dining. You should linger over wine and such. If you want fine dining. . ,.this is the place to go!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for such a wonderful review, understanding, and feedback. We are looking into the "salty" reviews about some of our dishes and our Chef will be making changes to accommodate our guests. When you come back, please let us know during your dining experience if your food is taking too long if you feel this way...our management team will respond at once.
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
“A new find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Martyr's has only been open for four months. We finally stopped by for drinks and appetizers. The hostess was so accommodating - asking bar patrons to move so we can have a place to sit. The guests were so nice about it as well. The Honey Locust bar has great ambience. We just had small plates. Try the Spanish Chorizo soup when it is on the menu - it was the soup of the day. We both raved about it. I liked the Lobster Bisque. The wedge salad was perfect - none of that heavy bleu cheese dressing - rather it was a lighter, tastier version. A simple shrimp cocktail rounded off the light meal. We met the owners and they are delightful people who really care about customer service and great food. We already made our reservation to come back in November when we are back in town. Give it a try.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Rik B, General Manager at Martyrs Steakhouse, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We are delighted you loved your dining experience and look forward to serving you again.