“World class! A must when in Taos!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 108 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“World class! A must when in Taos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Enchanting atmosphere, outstanding service, and world class food, Byzantium has got it all!
Located in a 100 year old adobe just off the historic Taos plaza my wife and I were delighted to find this world class restaurant with an intimate atmosphere. The owner has been attending to his guests personally for 17 years, and he is a charming host! I had the spinach salad and a NY strip steak, my wife had the wedge salad and curry. The spinach salad with jicama and toasted sunflower seeds was flavorful and light. The steak came with fries, sauted onions and red peppers, it was topped off with the most flavorful steak sauce I have tasted anywhere! My wife couldn't stop raving about the chicken curry and I could see why when I tasted it! It was bursting with flavors and topped with delicious house made pickled vegetables, which balanced the mild spice of the curry perfectly.

Having dined around the world from Hong Kong to Milan I can honestly say that Byzantium ranks with the best reataurants in the world! Don't miss it!

Camas, Washington
“Good food, good place, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

My family and I had dinner here on January 14th. The parking lot was a bit empty and there was only one other couple in the place when we arrived. We read the reviews about this place here and decided to give it a shot. What a good choice that was. The food was delicious and the owner took care of our every need. The wine kept flowing and the service was wonderful. I would definitely go back again!

• Visited January 2011
Denver, Colorado
“Great Space, Uninteresting Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We loved the whimsical decor. a combination of funky and elegant--warm pumpkin colored "New Mexican" walls, sparking chandeliers, twinkling strings of lights, ceramic tiles wrapped around a post. Why couldn't the food have been better??? We started out with excellent wine and bread and were so hopeful, until the food came. Now, we only had salad and appetizers, and if you think it's unfair to judge a restaurant by that, I wouldn't blame you, although it's been my experience that if the salad is bland, watch out for the entrees. And the salad WAS bland: spinach leaves straight out of a bag, a few slices of jicama, sunflower seeds (yawn), a scattering of herbs that didn't add much, and a very subtle dressing. I guess you could call it simple, but to us it just didn't seem the result of much thought or effort, more like something you could throw together at home for a weekday dinner. We didn't feel tremendously hungry, so we just ordered the pineapple chipotle spare ribs appetizers and were warned by the waiter that they were small. They were, only a few bites on each of two ribs, but accompanied by a pretty generous slice of corn bread ($12). But nothing seemed to go together, the flavors didn't complement each other, and the whole dish seemed kind of careless. I can see that may be their style, unfussy food, but it just fell flat for us. Unsatisfied, we went over to Doc Martin's for dessert and shared a fabulous dish of pear sorbet, chili almond sherbet, and a coconut cookie. Now that's more like it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque
“Best dinner in Taos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I will cut to the chase.....Byzantium in the best for dinner! They have no competition. Oh sure, there are other places to kill your apatite. But, if you want the best menu, great service, exceptional presentation, superb food, a decent and very affordable wine list, make reservations for Byzantium in Taos. They set the bar for fine, but not at all fancy dining.

Albuquerque
“funky decor, reasonable price, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We've been coming to Taos for decades and we wanted to try something new. The reviews putting this restaurant at # 2 in Taos were consistently high, but curiously it hadn't been recommended to us before. We thought it very average. I had a overcooked pork dish. The other dishes were nowhere near to #2 to Joseph's Table or comparable to Lambert's. As for 'elegant'. Please.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere