“Place was packed; huevos rancheros were great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 108 restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
“Place was packed; huevos rancheros were great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My friends and I went here at prime brunch time on a Sunday morning to celebrate a birthday. The place was packed. Every table was full and the line of people waiting to be seated was out the door. After about a 10 minute wait, we were told we could be seated...at the counter. Five people sitting in a row at a counter as opposed to across from each other at a table did not make for easy conversation or celebration. But we were hungry, so we accepted this seating.

The place was so noisy, I don't know if we could have had a decent conversation, even at a table.

I had the huevos rancheros with green chile and it was spicy and delicious. There was a lot of food on my plate, and I ate it all, even though I could have had half of it boxed and had another meal (or at least a substantial snack) later. I wasn't hungry again for hours.

My sweetie got the biscuits and gravy and I had a bite. The biscuit tasted like it was the kind that comes frozen in a box. It was not very fluffy. The gravy didn't impress me either.

My spicy meal made me want a lot of ice water, and the guy working the counter did not keep up with my need.

All in all, a good experience, but if I ever go back I will try to time my meal so I'm not there at rush hour.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
“The Old Standby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Open all day and evenings Fri-Sun; full menu is served all day.
Great range of cuisine: steaks, seafood, New Mexican food.
Breakfast & Lunch Mon-Thur. Bakery is intense temptation!

Bath, Maine
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This place was recommended for breakfast and it was fabulous. It was obviously a popular place as it was crowded but the waitstaff were on the ball and very attentive.

Palo Alto
“An Old Favorite, still as good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife as a child used to go to Michael's when it was more of a bakery than an institution, and I've been going there since I was introduced to Taos in the 1980s. Michael's is an institution, but not one that stands on its laurels. The sopapillas are to die for, and the New Mexican dishes are superb; the coffee may not be as good as Peet's, but it was good and there was plenty of it. I had to take my future son-in-law and daughter there and encouraged them to try different things (my daughter had been there before). A wonderful place, and a great staff. (The person handling the bill was Taos High Class of 1974.)

Baltimore, Maryland
“Fabulous breakfast place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our friendly Worldmark concierge recommended this restaurant for breakfast, and my 18-year-old son and I were thrilled with our choice. We both had huge, beautiful veggie omelettes with fresh vegetables (including lots of wonderful sliced avocado). Servers have personality: they are pleasant and professional, and also a bit playful, which was very nice. We only stayed in Taos three days, and we ate breakfast here two of those days. I highly recommend Michael's Kitchen.

• Visited March 2014