“Hunan vs Song's- a Tale of two Taos Chinese Restaurants” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 108 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Chinese
Sedona, Arizona
“Hunan vs Song's- a Tale of two Taos Chinese Restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My friend wanted to eat here, and though I usually avoid cheap Chinese food, I was in the mood to give it a try. The first very pleasant shock were the prices on the lunch menu- 5.55. Whoa!
I ordered the Kung Pao tofu with veggies, and the second shock was that it was a large plate of food covered with fresh and moderately cooked veggies.. there were snow peas, and other great veggies, not your typical bottom end veggies you often get in low cost chinese places.The service was pleasant. My only wish was that they carried Brown Rice. I would say the food felt clean and I felt good the entire day.

The next day I went to go back, but they were closed on Tuesdays. I was driving by Song's and saw the Best of Taos signs and thought I would give them a try. I was so pleased with the Kung Pao Tofu from Hunan, I thought I would try the same at Songs and compare.

It was a little divey looking inside and my table was still dirty, but the owner had an absolutely brilliant smile and twinkle in his eye. He and his wife came five years ago from China. It was a very family sort of place. The plus was that brown rice was served here, but the meal wasnt as good as at Hunan and the price was about 25% more.. not a huge amount, but all in all I would go back to Hunan for the lunch specials...

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

new mexico
“Doesn't live up to its past”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I liked this restaurant in the old days when it was in La Fonda, so I tried it again recently. Very disappointing. It was edible, but not a treat. I got MaPao tofu and it was mushy and full of peas!
Nice try, but I won't eat here again. I can't comment on the table service; I got takeout.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Taos, New Mexico
“Cheap-Fast-Consistant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have eaten at Hunan about 100 times and it is ALWAYS the same. THis is NOT gourmet Chinese. I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years, and if you need 5 star food, not even Santa Fe is gonna get er done. BUT, I have NEVER had even a bad side dish, not to mention a bad meal. In a small town, that's worth something.

There is no point in recommending dishes because they are ALL 3 stars. That's the point. The service is fast and polite and they get it right. The lunch specials are all a great deal. The place just works....nothin fancy but nothin to complain about.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ranchos De Taos
“great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

we love going here we always sit in peters section. hes an awesome waiter and makes sure you got everything you need. the food is good too trey the egg drop soup

Visited February 2013
Ojai, California
“Nope, Won't Make This Mistake Again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

New Mexico must be the universe's Black Hole for Chinese restaurants. It is no wonder that in the Land of Enchantment your best bets for satisfying an urge for Asian food are found in the region's plentiful Sushi restaurants and even in its far harder to find Vietnamese pho cafes. I've dined at Hunan Chinese in Taos a few times in years past, so I feel justified in saying that Hunan Chinese has gone downhill as fast as an Amarillo snow bunny on the beginner's run at TSV. There are duck items on Hunan's menu: avoid them unless your idea of duck come from a can. The hot and sour soup isn't...a waste of everyone's time. And the service is lousy.

• Visited February 2013