“Great 4 star room Very relaxing atmosphere!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Colorado Springs
“Great 4 star room Very relaxing atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

This resort definitely has the most luxurious and unique rooms/grounds in Taos. My wife and I were overjoyed that even our low end room had high end appeal such as the large soaking tub, detail mirror, high end fixtures etc. etc. the artwork around the resort is very nice and flows very well. We were extremely happy that the indoor pool did not have the normal high concentration of chlorine or chemicals, since our 9 year old has sensitive eyes..however their "living machine" water recycling treatment area was to close to the pool giving somewhat of an unpleasant smell in the pool area. Service was fair when we needed it, but I wouldn't say it was wonderful except the lady in the spa area who was very service oriented. I think some people who have rated this place low was doing so on the presumption that it's 5 star, because of how nice the accommodations seem up front....I think this place is wonderful for a 4 star, as advertised...so don't expect the 5 star details and you'll have a wonderful experience..the outdoor patios/balconies were very very peaceful and relaxing too!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
West Chester, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I booked this resort through American Express Travel and we were treated like royalty! They upgraded our room upon arrival, provided breakfast 2 mornings and one lunch in their garden restaurant. We had room service one evening for dinner and ate on our great patio overlooking a waterfall and pond. The grounds are beautiful and eco-green, they use their grey water to keep plants growing and blooming. The place is so clean and I am a cleaning fanatic! We stayed in the Ira Hayes room and I will say for some one that is elderly the shower tub combo might be difficult to use. My husband and I had no problem getting in and out of it but it is a big step to get in and out of. Can't say enough good things about this place. The staff was great to us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

It's unfortunate that this spectacular property misses the boat when it comes to providing the service one would expect from a resort of this caliber. For us, issues(we asked to be moved due to noise) were not resolved in a timely fashion, if at all. The right hand did not seem to know what the left hand was doing. Our hoped for relaxing holiday turned out to be an aggravating experience.

If you are going to The El Monte Sagrado because it sells itself as a "secluded sanctuary in harmony with the earth" where you can "breathe in the tranquility", be forewarned. For starters, pop music in the quite lovely restaurant ruined the ambience. Additionally, during the warm months, the design of the property does not keep the noise out of your room. The ballrooms and adjoining patios are right next to the guest rooms so if there is an outside event/party you will hear them. So ask for a room at the far end of the property.

If you are trying to decide between the Taos Mt. Room and the Native American Suite, go for the suite. The view and privacy of the sacred circle is well worth the extra cost.

It's really a shame that this hotel/resort seems to be so poorly managed because the accommodations, the art work and the grounds are truly exquisite. Would I go back? Absolutely. Would I recommend it? With reservation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I booked at the very last minute, calling from the Albuquerque airport because I changed my plans on the fly. They were 100% accomodating and did not hesitate to offer a discount when I told them I planned a private dining event for the following morning. Every staff person I encountered was friendly and helpful, whether on the phone or in person. I stayed in a Taos Mountain Room, and it was spacious with a soothing aesthetic (fireplace and large tiled-in tub). The property is very "green" and they grow a variety of indigenous plants, which scent the air, believe it or not. When I was running late for my spa appointment, I needed to check in online for my flight and the Concierge volunteered to do it. The Signature Desert Spa Treatment was the best - a highlight of the most popular spa treatments rolled into one 90-minute appointment. Ask for Sharmaine if you book at the spa. Original art everywhere and a well-thought out site plan made the entire property very welcoming and comfortable. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Superior, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

We are Inn owners of high end luxury rentals and B&B's in Santa Fe, NM- (just 1 hr from Taos). We wanted to get away for our anniversary and decided on El Monte for our 3 night treat.
From the moment we entered we were treated like royalty. We stayed in the Marakesh Global Suite with private patio and hottub. Throughout our stay we were treated to free amenities like chocolate covered strawberries and champagne.
Our every request was dealt with quickly, quietly and efficiently, including a call to the front desk to have the pool boy come and fill the hottub-to the turndown service.
As discriminating world travelers and Inn owners we looked over each and every aspect of the resort from its amenities, services, housekeeping and dining and I have to say, without reservation, that El Monte Sagrado provided us with the most beautiful room, in the most peaceful setting, with the most professional service and the best dining and libation experience we've ever experienced in our lives---hands down!
The staff and the room and the food and the service all worked with flawless and machine-like efficiency (all without your notice.) A true and unequaled pleasure for an extended stay or a quick getaway. We left the property for only one day. We had a fun celebrity sighting, but a very disappointing diner at a highly regarded restaurant, only to return back to our oasis where great food, big smiles, fantastic service and true ambiance awaited us. A great time that made us agree that this will become our annual anniversary getaway for years to come!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed at El Monte Sagrado over the Memorial Day weekend for 3 nights. We booked a package deal thru their website, it included 'free parking' and free continental breakfast, or $10 off regular breakfast. The overall vlaue for the 3 nights package we got we felt was GOOD. I'll go over some good points and some bad for anyone interested;
The resort itself is VERY well kept. If you drive thru the town of Taos, from any direction, and up to the El Monte, you will be happily surprised! Most of Taos is sort of quaint, or 'rustic', or old western, etc. The El Monte is definitely the nicest place in Taos, as far as my 3 days there led me to believe. The grounds are super lush, tons of trees, bushes, grassy areas, all very neat and looking like they are very well cared for. It's a great atmosphere. Very peaceful. The lobby/main buildings are very nice also. We stayed in a Mountain King room, and were VERY happy with it. Big thumbs up for the overall quality of the room. The layout is great, the bathroom and bed area are separated by only a curtain, this makes the whole room seem very big and spacey! The decor is very nice, great closets, bed was a little squishy for me, but perfect otherwise. Floors (and all other surfaces) were very clean. Let me put it this way... My wife has very high standards for comfort/cleanliness in hotels, and this room was to her liking. The soaking tub is great. We each took 2 baths during our stay. The Spa was nice, but small. The dry sauna is coed, we used it once, it was fine. There's mens/women's steam rooms too, the steam room worked for me, but not for my wife. We didnt' pay for any spa services. The staff were courteous enough, we didn’t really need any assistance, or ‘hand holding’ so I can’t really say they were outstanding or anything, but everyone was pleasant, and professional overall. On to the restaurants... We only ate breakfast in the hotel, but were very happy with the food served. I had the Eggs Benedict one morning, it was super good, highly recommend. Other than that, the HIGHLIGHT of our trip also occurred when we ate breakfast in the Gardens... None other than Taos' most famous resident/visitor, DENNIS HOOPER ate 5 feet behind us!! (If you are familiar with Taos lore, you'll know Dennis Hopper is a big fan of the town.) That was very cool. No, we didn't bother him, but it took a lot for me to not turn around and say something, he's one of my favorite actors.

On to a few negatives, which, overall were minor, but should be noted. First off... For parking, you can valet, or park yourself. If you want to park yourself, there’s still a fee… This is insane, there's no valid reason to charge guests staying at the hotel to park there, too. That’s nickel and diming, not cool, in my opinion. Also, our little package said parking fees were waived, but when the bill came, they did charge us $12 per day. This was fixed promptly, and courteously, but it's just plain lame to be there in the first place. The water in the room came out of the faucet MAGMA hot! I'm not joking, the hot water was so hot it could definitely scald someone. This was not a big deal for us, but I could easily see a child, or someone not paying attention scalding themselves. Lastly, the restaurant was a little overpriced. The 'continental breakfast' was a mini muffin, and a few pieces of fruit. And for coffee??? $6 per person for Starbucks blend. That's a little much!!! Hope this doesn't seem harsh, but those few things were the only real negatives we ran into.

I'd overall definitely recommend this place. If I ever go back to Taos, I would want to stay here, since it's the nicest hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Salem, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We just spent our 1 week HONEYMOON at El Monte Sagrado - and WE LOVED IT! It was a very welcoming resort and even though it is only a few blocks away from the Taos Plaza, you feel very much that you are in a quiet mountain resort. We stayed in a Native American Suite, and it was such a great treat it was very roomy and cozy for us, with a balcony facing the Sacred Circle. We enjoyed everything the resort offered, the pool and jacuzzi, the SPA (Thanks to our friends who gave us a wedding gift for couple massages), the restaurant, playing pool in the library, talking to all the friendly staff, and browsing the gallery, and most of all JUST RELAXING which is easy to do at this peaceful place. We also did a lot of skiing at Taos Ski Valley, taking the Chile Line right outside our door, which was so easy, we walked to everything in Taos, we enjoyed talking to all the locals, everyone is so friendly, and we also did a day trip to Santa Fe. Even though we spent a week, we are already planning to come back, since there is so much more to see and do, and we would love to see Taos in bloom, and there is always time to do more relaxation, which is easy to do at El Monte Sagrado.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!