“Beautiful resort, great getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taos
denver
“Beautiful resort, great getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding at El Monte Sagrado at the end of January and it was truly a great experience. The hotel and grounds are incredibly beautiful and serene. The attention to detail in both architecture and decor is amazing. Overall, service was quite good and our guests all enjoyed the resort as well.

The rooms: We stayed in the China suite, which was elegant and romantic, and perfect for us. Our wedding coordinator had left a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, the fire was lit and music playing when we checked in. It is a huge 2 bedroom suite with two full baths, and could easily be shared by two couples for the weekend. The decor is truly impressive, especially the paint in the master bath.
All of the Global suites have private patios with hot tubs, which was fantastic for hanging out with our friends and family who came for the wedding. I also saw the Mexico suite and the Argentina suite which were beautiful as well. Our suite had a very nice wet bar and a comfortable living room. The bed was very comfortable too! The hotel provided an extra mini-fridge for our use upon request, which was very helpful since they have the type of mini bar that charges you if you even look at an item too hard!

My folks brought their two little dogs along, and the hotel was very accomodating.

If you're looking at one of the standard Taos mountain rooms, they were very nice as well. I'd request one that faces into the courtyard lawn area, as opposed to facing the parking lot/back edge of the resort.

We did have an issue at check in with my parents room, and the person at the front desk was not helpful at all and was entirely unapologetic, despite several calls from my parents and a visit from myself. However, I spoke with a manager that evening and he went above and beyond to resolve the issue. Room service and requests for ice, towels and even a steamer for my dress were all handled very promptly and the staff was friendly on all occasions.

Our wedding itself turned out perfectly. We worked with the hotel's wedding coordinator and she was really great. The location and the food for the reception dinner could not have been better.

We ate breakfast twice in the hotel restaurant and found the service to be quite good, contrary to what I've read in other reviews here. Same with the bar. Breakfasts were good, although very expensive and I'd recommend just walking up to the main street for a better value and variety.

The parking and resort fees do seem a bit ridiculous, especially when you are already paying 5-star rates. Some friends took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service up into town, although I found it to be quite a pleasant and short walk.

The pool area was very beautiful and relaxing and the spa seemed very nice. I got a manicure before the wedding, which was very pleasant, but she did a mediocre-at-best job with the shaping and polish. I'd skip it for the price. A friend had a couples massage with her husband which she said was fantastic.

I would definitely go back for another visit, and would try to go in the summer to really enjoy the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Terrible service, just as I'd heard. 45 minute wait for two appetizers, another 50 minute wait for two entrees--which came out five minutes apart--and pretty mediocre food after all of the hype. There were only two other tables in the restaurant. There're far better restaurants in Taos!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

Stayed for a getaway weekend w/family. Price was high; resort has ambitions of being upscale, luxury place.

Some room details were well above average: jacuzzi tub, good sound system, terrific linens and bed. Some were less impressive: flimsy doors, and a layout that combined the worst elements of the Overlook Hotel (endless hallways) and Motel 6 (low quality carpeting and flimsy doors).

I second the reviewer who worried about the fish - we were disgusted with the filth of the tank. Parking was also needlessly complicated - you can waste 15 minutes and some money to have valets park your car 30 feet away, or park it yourself if there's a non-paying spot available. I hate stuff like this in Las Vegas; in Taos, it's just very tacky. Let people park at the hotel; they're certainly paying enough for the privilege.

Unfortunately, that sense of tackiness is pervasive in the property, from the constant visual reminders of add-ons (spa, restaurants) to the breathless tones used for everything (silly, and not justified).

The location is fair - about a third to a half mile from downtown. Honestly, there's better locations to be had at far lower prices.

Staff were polite, but check in (again) seemed designed to take too long (in order to try to book us for the spa or restaurant). 20 minutes sitting at a desk when you want to relax is silly.

There is nothing specifically "wrong" with El Monte Segrado, but at the price I want charm, staff with personality, and real hospitality (not a contest to see who can spend the most and pretend they don't care). Given the many local alternatives, I can't think why I'd stay here again.

• Liked — quality of items in room
  • Disliked — Overall vibe of trying too hard to be "exclusive"
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

My friends and I stayed at the El Monte Sagrado for the New Year's holiday and had a great time. The resort is beautiful, and staff is very friendly. We stayed in the Caballo casita, which is a charming little room with lots of personality (including an antler chandelier!). The spa is relaxing, and the restaurant serves tasty food.

There is, however, some room for improvement. For a 5-star resort, I think it is woefully understaffed. Requests can take a while to fulfill because the staff is trying to accommodate about a million requests at one time. Furthermore, the resort tends to be a bit stingy about toiletries. Normally, I expect new toiletries (shampoo, lotion, etc.) to be provided when the room is cleaned the next day, but they were not. I'm sure the hotel would have provided more if we had asked, but again, for a 5-star resort, we shouldn't have to. We were squeezing that lotion bottle for the last little bit by the end of our stay. I also find it annoying that they charge parking each day. Given that the only way to reach the resort is by car (there are really no taxis or public transportation to speak of in Taos), they should just bake that into the cost of the room, so the full cost of the stay is more transparent.

Also, and this may just be a matter of breakdown in communication, we had three adults in our party and had booked a room with two queen beds through a third-party website (i.e., not the hotel's own website), but when we arrived, they placed us in a room with only one queen bed. To their credit, the resort did not charge us for the extra rollaway bed that we absolutely needed and comped us free breakfast for two days.

• Liked — Decor, Spa, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — A bit understaffed, extra parking fee
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

Didn't stay at resort, although it looked beautiful. Instead had massage at the Spa. The massage itself was great, but the actual spa setting was a little less than I expected. For example, the Steam room is a tiny closet that can fit perhaps 3 women if all petite and the Sauna is outside and coed (not a fan). The pool, jacuzzi etc are also coed as they part of the regular resort- so bring your bathing suit. Lastly, no ammenties or products available after you shower. Still overall, the massage was top notch and the signature room I was in was gorgeous. Take a day off the slopes and enjoy this place. BTW, friends went to Edleweiss Spa in Ski Valley & also raved about the massage but said the ammenties were non existent.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend stay at El Monte Sagrado in Taos! I found out about this resort from a Travelzoo.com top 20 deals email. The resort is advertising a GREAT deal through February '09 including a greatly reduced room rate, continental breakfast, valet parking, and the resort fee. We thought we'd take advantage of the deal and spend a weekend skiing in Taos. The resort is in a beautiful location, a little ways off the main road that runs through Taos. The grounds are spectacular with lots of open space, statues, fire pits to warm yourself in front of, and bridges that lead you over running streams. It's a "green" resort where they treat their own wastewater for re-use. They have greenhouses ("biolariums") that you can tour and learn more about how their enclosed system works. It's very cool.

Our room was a standard king room, but there was nothing "standard" about it! The room was very beautifully appointed with an extremely comfortable king bed with luxurious linens, large wardrobes covered in animal hides (faux?), a sliding door out onto a patio overlooking the grounds, a gas fireplace, and a fantastic bathroom with a large jetted tub and walk-in shower. A curtain separates the tub from the rest of the room so you can actually watch tv from the tub. Very lovely!

The continental breakfast that was included in our package wasn't the traditional "serve-your-self" buffet. The breakfast area is behind the bar and regular restaurant and has a lovely glass ceiling with plants and trees growing throughout surrounding the tables. We were brought plates of melon and berries with two muffins and coffee. It was a nice start to the day.

The valet parking was great and we were told to call ahead so they could warm up our car for us--it was always nice and toasty when we got in. The valets were very friendly and gave us some great restaurant recommendations (Michael's Kitchen and Orlando's for great New Mexican food!) The resort is about a half hour drive to the ski hill, so it's not a bad drive.

We didn't use the spa, but we did check out the pool area which seemed quite nice. The second floor above the lobby had a nice library with a pool table where we spent some time in the evening. After a long day of skiing we definitely took advantage of the jetted tub in the room to relax sore muscles!

All in all, we had a wonderful stay. I feel like we got a great deal for such a nice resort. We would definitely stay at this property again.

• Liked — Beautiful room and surroundings
  • Disliked — Too far to walk to restaurants or shops during the winter
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

I stayed here on a whim while spending one night in Taos. It's not cheap but it is Taos and was ski season. Location of this resort is great, walking distance to town center. I had a casita which would make anyone over 6 ft feel claustrophobic but that's not a problem for me. The casita had two big beds, mini kitchen, full bath, beautiful tile floors, private patio, and fireplace. It was wonderfully decorated. I had breakfast at the restaurant and my breakfast burrito was delicious. Staff was very friendly and accommodating but not overbearing. Everything inch of this place was beautifully decorated.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!