“Fabulous Place to Unwind” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Fabulous Place to Unwind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We recently stayed here for two days this past week. Unlike some of the reviews I have read, I thought that this hotel was beyond a doubt the only hotel that you should stay at. It was well worth the money.

The valet staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming even though a wedding was just about to take place. We were in and out and you could park it yourself if you wanted. While some reviews complained about the valet fee, they really should have just said it was a Resort Fee.

The check in was smooth and welcoming. We had a great room overlooking the pond with a bedroom, bathroom and living room. There was also an outside balcony. The check in person made sure that we would not hear the wedding and located us in #14 which I would highly recommend.

We chose to dine in the restaurant which to a foodie from New York was great. The trout and the steak were excellent as were the wait staff.

The next night we decided to eat in the bar. The waitstaff were on point and there was an American Idol contest going on Monday nights where people from the community sang, played the flute, etc.. Prices were more than reasonable.

We enjoyed the pool and hot tub. There were two computers to print out your boarding passes so I didn't utilize WiFi.

For anyone to complain about the staff or say this property is not well run obviously must not stay at Resort Hotels. We saw the Manager of the Hotel repeatedly; the Restaurant Manager asked us about our food experiences at the restaurant and bar and even the Maintenance Manager when dealt with a small problem in our bathroom, made sure it was fixed immediately.

I own a business and found everyone so pleasant, courteous and trying to please at all times.

I would highly recommend this hotel. If it were closer, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pond.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed in May 2014 in connection with a wedding. The grounds were beautiful and well-maintained, and the staff were very friendly, helpful, and informative. Wi-fi was provided to all wedding guests free of charge and our room was clean. The only oddity in our room was that the bathroom faucet was located too close to the edge of the sink basin, resulting in much water spilling over the edge.

The food and service at the welcome reception and wedding reception was quite good. By contrast, the service at the restaurant was glacial, even though the restaurant was nearly empty for lunch. The morning coffee also was late. But on the whole, the service was fine and the hotel was an excellent value, particularly given the discount rate our wedding party received.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Inverness, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Though the buildings and grounds here are beautiful, the property is not run well and does not provide the kind of experience one expects. The staff, with the exception of the valet staff, was not professional. Things were not well maintained. There were additional charges for valet (even if you self parked), wifi (this always makes me furious!), water - just include them in my nightly price do I don't feel nickel and dimed! Also, the deposit they actually charged did not agree with my email confirmation which caused a great deal of confusion at checkout and meant I had to go online and check my credit card records. I would probably not stay here again.

Stayed May 2014
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Our apologies for failing to meet your expectations. We have a number of very significant changes and improvements underway which will address these issues. We have put into place the best management team this Resort has seen and I know you will realize a trememdous improvement in service and standards should you choose to visit us again. We appreciate your inputs and I encourage you to contact me in the future so I can personally ensure your next stay is a memorable one.
Alamo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We loved the location and the room decor; we loved the big spa tub. The valet and shuttle staff (ask for Ashley) were outstanding! We were thankful we took them up on the offer to shuttle us to dinner when we saw where we would have driven. They couldn't have been nicer!

Reception was friendly, but when we got to our room, we had two queen beds instead of a king. It took a very long time to get through to the front desk to see if another room was available -- We had the feeling the hotel was understaffed. However, they were very responsive and brought the new room keys to us - very helpful after a long day of travel.

We ate dinner in the restaurant. Our server was a delightful young women and the food (bone in rib-eye and chicken) was quite good. Unfortunately, my birthday candle did not appear at dessert, though my dining partner had asked when we checked in. They did comp my dessert though -- and the cheesecake was yummy.

One issue was the housekeeping department: both the tv remote and the scale needed new batteries, and there were some "spots" on one of our pillowcases (I didn't ask). Also, the refrigerator: a) had "used" food remaining in it, b) had a puddle on the shelf, and c) was not, and never got cold - at all.

This has an opportunity to be a really nice hotel, with just a little bit of attention, and some more staff. The property is beautiful, be sure to visit the sacred garden.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

You can't tell from the tiny photo of the chair in front of the fireplace (and nothing more) that the ground floor suite (number 5) would be so lovely and comfortable, with a large pond and waterfalls just steps from your back door and a bathtub large enough to swim in (with high enclosed glass doors to keep the warm in).

From the moment we arrived we felt this was a five star establishment; we were greeted enthusiastically at our car, and every possible step was taken from that moment on to make our stay perfect. At check-in I asked for extra towels and hangars, and before we arrived at the room they were there, waiting to see how many of each we needed.

The breakfast room is one of a kind, with a high ceiling and skylight and exotic plants and trees planted throughout the room, so you dining with plenty of morning light and under leaves.
I ordered a combination breakfast not on the menu and it came out perfect.

Dinner in the restaurant next door ot the breakfast room was gluten free for me--they worked around the menu to bring me an excellently prepared salmon dish and lovely dessert as well. The waiter, Carlos, was the nicest man and most helpful waiter. We sought him out the second night we dined there.

The entire stay was just lovely; the architecture was breathtaking and original; there are, among other things, a spa and a tropical rain forest garden. All the apple trees were in bloom while we were there, making the property just magical.

I have only two very minor suggestions for management: When extra towels are ordered on arrival, this should be added to the main's instructions, so they are also available every day without the guest needing to request them, and I personally have an aversion to decorator pillows on beds touching my cleanly laundered pillows. AS many readers know, the decorative pillows are not laundered after each stay at most establishments, and I had no reason to suspect otherwise here. They were removed from the bed at my request, but the maid had nowhere other than the room to store them.

Marriott would do well on this property to copy their Residence Inn's style: no such pillows to mar your stay, or at least make it a choice.

Room Tip: We loved number 5 on the ground floor because of the ease of access and the pond out the door.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

What a unique place to stay! We stayed here with our preschooler during a ski vacation. And for the price-its a real bargain. I've stayed in some chic hotels but this one was so unique…luxurious without being just another chic, upscale hotel--it was like a work of art…one of a kind. It had tons of character in every room as if it was custom made just for Taos, New Mexico (which it was). The staff was friendly without being overly pretentious which is always a big plus. Make sure to browse the upstairs gallery to enjoy the art collection or the library/pool table. The restaurant is set inside a real life jungle, terrarium-like open space in the middle of the property. Even in the middle of winter, they maintain a wealth of South/Central American plants and trees which add a wonderful, nature feel to your meals.
Our room was large and fantastic-it felt like a condo. We were so happy to get a separate bedroom with a comfortable king bed, a giant soaking tub and a separate living room with fireplace. I loved all the quality regional furnishings and real wood doors and decor. It was very clean and generously stocked. The rooms seemed well insulated so it was nice and quiet all day long. We didn't get to go swimming but the pool is a work of art in itself. It is also built to look and feel like a tropical swimming hole with year round access.
The hotel was well located to explore that area but it takes about 20-30 minutes to get there from Taos Valley-well worth the drive. The front desk concierge suggested an awesome pizza place called Chalupps for unbelievably delicious pizza on our last night. I would love to return to experience another season there sometime.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I were only there for one night but I wish it could have been more. From the minute we arrived until the time we left we were treated royally. The entire staff was attentive and very helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious , comfortable and there was a lovely view from the patio. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was excellent as well as the service. Yes, I would definitely revisit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business