“Just WoW!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Austin, Texas
“Just WoW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

If you travel a great deal, all nicer hotels start to look and feel the same. This hotel was incredible. Every detail from ceilings to door knobs were works of art. I found myself studying every detail of every room to truly appreciate the artistry of this amazing place. The room had a gorgeous stone fireplace, soaking tub, full balcony, refrigerator, and the cherry on top...Starbucks coffee/tea for the coffee maker. (There are casitas and more on the property also.) The indoor pool was perfect for the kids, the spa and the services were one of the best I have experienced. The gym had everything I needed and was exceptionally clean. It is also dog friendly, although we did not bring our beloved pooch. ;-) It is truly a diamond in the heart of Taos. We did not experience terrible crowds anywhere we went in Taos - a nice change from our Colorado trip to Beaver Creek. Walk to the historical district, drive 20 minutes to Ski Valley or 25 minutes to Angel Fire. Every restaurant recommended was fabulous (Orlando's was our favorite!) Hotel food was good, but recommended restaurants were far superior. There have been negative reviews about the cleaning staff, but we were pleased with the cleanliness of our room. Service was a bit slow, but we didn't care, we were skiing down mountains. ;-) Park yourself to skip the $20 fee, but the parking staff/valet employees were incredibly kind offering suggestions of places to go, maps to get to point of interests, and even help with a dead battery. I absolutely loved this hotel and all it's artistic glory. No stuffy hotel here, just an incredibly beautiful, artistic, and cozy place to crash after a fun day in New Mexico! I will return without a doubt! One of my favorite vacations by far!

Room Tip: Some rooms have mountain views. There were amazing casitas next to spa with mountain views. Our st...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and love the fact that you "get us"! We are unlike other hotels and it is nice to see that you appreciate those things that make us different. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
York Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Let me preface my remarks by saying every staff member I dealt with could not have been more gratious.It started with the young lady who picked up my car,the lovely young lady who checked me in,to the gentleman who helped show me how the ac worked..
The room was absoluitely wonderful.It had two suites that were beautiful.My only concern with the room is that the suite had a nice table to either eat or play games at.The table only had three chairs.The living room was beautiful.My problem was that as the couch was very comfortable and could seat three people there should have a comfortable separate chair for the fourth person,
The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were wonderful.I muswt admit we did not eat in the restaurant as friends had recommened other places in town,The place itself is beautiful as are the grounds.I did not mind the valet fee as it was convenient..

Room Tip: If you have a regular room rather than a suite find a room that is close to where you check in or yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
mattapoisett, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We recently stayed in the Tibet suite which was lovely. The check in was great and the staff were very helpful with recommendations for restaurants and things to do. The room was beautiful although I was really looking forward to a bathtub but this suite only had a shower. The pool is lovely but we had to travel outside to get to it and it was very cold outside (a covered entrance would have been nice) The price was reasonable for a 5 star hotel but it was really annoying to have to pay $20 extra for valet parking. We actually self-parked while we were there and were still charged for parking. When you are staying in a hotel this nice they should include parking. I would be more than happy to tip the valet but an additional charge of $20 was inappropriate. This was not New York City there was more than enough parking close by and this should not have been an extra charge.

Room Tip: When you check in make sure you ask if your room has a bathtub.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed 5 nights in a Native American Suite last week with our 2 daughters for Spring Break ski trip. The hotel is fine, and the grounds/pool area are nice, but overall the service was not up to par for this level of hotel. We spent the last 3 nights of our trip at the Hyatt Tamaya Resort and even our daughters commented on the extreme upgrade in service between the 2 properties. The "suite" was the most cramped suite I have ever encountered. Once the sofa was converted into a bed, there was no space to move in the living room. We couldn't even open the mini-fridge without folding up the bed. There also were no drawers or space to store clothes outside of the one bedroom. My wife actually utilized the safe as a "drawer" for the girls' clothes! The 2 end tables in the living room had faux-drawers, which didn't help the situation.

As mentioned in another review, the housekeeping was pathetic-maybe the worst I have ever encountered. Our shower head was just pouring water straight down the wall of the shower, as it needed to be tightened (maintenance took care of this after I complained). In the five nights we were there, we never received 4 sets of towels despite numerous requests, and never received new soap, shampoo, etc. after our initial arrival. Many days, our dirty glasses were not cleaned at all, and a dirty champagne flute from the bar remained on our desk for 4 days.

Our trip started off on the wrong foot when no one at "Guest Services" would answer the phone at 10pm for our wake up call request. I had to leave a message, hoping someone at a 4 star hotel would pick up the message over night. No such luck. The next night, after reaching no one via phone, my daughter and I walked down to reception to request a wake up call at 7:15. At 7:35am the next morning, we received our wake up call, which consisted of an apology, saying sorry I am "10 minutes" (not 20!!) late because I was helping a guest. I quickly dressed and walked down to reception, where I found 3 unoccupied workers chatting about their evenings the night before. Had all 3 of them been helping guests at 7:15???

While my wife was checking out on our final morning, the phone at reception never stopped ringing, but neither of the other 2 free employees ever answered the phone. They must not believe in land line phones at El Monte Sagrado - maybe you need to text them...

While the valet staff was always very helpful and friendly, the parking lot at the resort is a disaster. There are not enough spaces for cars, and the drop off area is very tight so every day we encountered delays trying to get in/out of the parking area. We did not valet, as we did not want to pay $20/day for valet service and there was always (even early in the morning) a line to pick up your car. El Monte Sagrado did attempt to charge us the $20/day anyway until we had the charge removed from our bill. The hotel should consider buying up some of the adjacent properties for sale to expand their parking.

My final pet peeve was the room key de-magnetizing every day, whether placed in a wallet or near a cell phone. Seriously? Is this 1997? I travel constantly for work and haven't encountered such a technologically outdated key card system in at least 5 years.

My suggestion for families heading to Taos for a ski trip: rent a condo up at the mountain. I would never pay these prices for such poor service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We appreciate very much the time you took to share your experience at El Monte Sagrado with us. We take these communications very seriously and work to gain our guests loyalty back. You should already have received a message from a manager at the property to try and resolve the situation. If you would like to speak with a manager directly please feel free to call David Gaskins at 575-737-9853.
West, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I do not like writing negative reviews- however I personally have been helped/saved some major dollars and grief, buy some of Tripadvisors other contributors and only hope my brutal honesty helps someone.
We were in Taos to ski with our ten year old for part of Spring break.
Short version:
Positive- awesome valet staff
unique property lay out
deep tub
clean spa (from what little I observed at 7 at night) and an AWESOME massage
Casual dining
Unique menu with good food, for the most part (will explain more below)

Negative-HORRIBLE HOUSEKEEPING
(we were there 5 nights and not once was the bathroom fully cleaned, coffee or tea bags replaced, or floor swept)
extremely slow dining, (Staff here was also polite and pleasant, but service was very slow) My other comment on the dining- we asked for a plain salad with nothing exotic, just lettuce with some tomatoes for our ten year old son, instead we got a salad with just lettuce and SARDINES!!!! (Umm he didnt want corn, why would he eat a sardine????????) explaining that was fruitless.
the tub and shower are connected and as mentioned in another review, near impossible to get in and out of for some people,
Only one phone worked in the suite
the tv in the living room kept getting shut off and we had to track down someone EVERYDAY to get it back on.....

At 300+ a night we were very disappointed.
If rooms elsewhere had been available, we would have not stayed the full five days.

The biggest concern is housekeeping.

I KNOW our room, tub or toilet were not cleaned. This is not something we should have to call the front desk about, period. You cant call the front desk in the evenings if you want help as there is no answer, instead we had to track someone down to get the tv turned back on for movie access and our house keeping was mentioned at that time.
We did not ask for the manager, which we should have, however just mentioning it at the front desk should have solved the problem.

I would not recommend this hotel, not because of slow dining service, but rather the questionable housekeeping, that made me wonder if the sheets and provided robes were freshly laundered.....,
We did not openly complain or seek out additional compensation, other than the mention at the front desk, which was ignored.
To be frank, I would have complained, if we had been able to find another hotel, but I was apprehensive about possible retribution by housekeeping- I KNOW it sounds ridiculous however, there is not a manager in your room every time, and I have worked for a big Resort before, not in housekeeping, but I know what can go on!

I understand, If you dont complain to MANAGEMENT, it does not give them a chance to fix the problems, however I have NEVER had these issue's at a resort, let alone a Marriott...........

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are terribly sorry for the problems you experienced and we are addressing them all. By now you should have received a personal message from David Gaskins, our Rooms Director, to resolve the situation. If you have any further questions or comments we want to hear from you. Please contact David directly at 575-737-9853.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Come on! 20 bucks a night to park. I thought at least it would be covered,but, no, just a plain parking lot. I asked why so much to park, response "Limited Parking". There is limited Parking because 25% of the parking lot is dedicated for Employees. Twenty bucks a day in NY, SF, Chicago, ok, Taos, NM, No Way! Just a cash cow for a 3 star (at most) pretending to be a 5 star

13.95 for a slow Internet connection was also an insult. But, my biggest
COMPLAINT, a lousy sagging old mattress with worn out linens! I have stayed at Marriott properties on 4 continents and this one ranks near the bottom. There are many alternatives in Taos to this place and probably a lot cheaper as well.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We had a weekend there to eat at El Meze. The spa was beyond expectations. I own a small spa and have experienced high end services all over the world. This was beyond four seasons in terms of the decadent setting and trans-formative relaxation.

We did hydro therapy followed by scalp massages and reflexology. They really have a great staff. Congratulations for making our weekend away one of the best ever!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We are so happy you had such a great time. We know we have a great spa team but it is always wonderful to receive such positive feedback from someone else in the spa business.

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!