“Sophisticated Desert Chic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Sophisticated Desert Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic! Our Taos Mountain type room was clean, modern, well-appointed, sophisticated and, what I like to call, desert-chic. The rest of the property was beautiful and oasis-like; especially the indoor pool area which had a rainforest appeal to it. The anaconda bar was cool; as were the cocktails. We booked a one-night stay at a fantastic off-season rate and now we're hooked enough to come back during the high-season for a longer stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at El Monte Sagrado in Taos, NM. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable with a nice outdoor balcony and generous soaking tub. We appreciated the lovely accomodations after a couple days on the slopes of nearby Taos Resort and Angel Fire Resort. We utilized the spa (the steam room and sauna) and appreciated the friendly and helpful woman who worked in the spa. When I found out that the hotel didn't offer yoga classes, she suggested a wonderful yoga studio in town (Shree Yoga). I loved it!

We had hoped the hotel would be located closer to the town (we were fine with walking the 1/2 mile or less to the restaurants in the main retail area but had thought we were going to be located closer). We also were frustrated that the staff wasn't very knowledgable about the shuttle that runs multiple times a day from the hotels in Taos (with a stop at this specific property) to the Taos ski resort. My husband wanted to make sure to catch the morning shuttle but the staff at the hotel was no help in confirming him a spot or even offering information on where to wait for the shuttle etc. He figured it out on his own and got up to Taos on the shuttle just fine but the hotel staff was just not very impressive. In addition, they were not very accomodating when we mentioned we didn't want to pay for valet parking. We are city dwellers who don't mind walking or parking farther away if it means we can save $20/day. We were able to park our rental car on the street after 6pm for free until 9am the next morning - this was a great find for us and we recommend to other travelers who choose to stay at this hotel.

We ate one evening at the hotel restaurant and the food and service were very good. Overall we had a nice stay but the front desk and valet staff all thought we were kind of nuts for not using the valet service offered by the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The property was phenomenal even in the middle of winter at half of what it probably looks like in the spring or summer. We drove up from Santa Fe for an overnight spa getaway and had the best experience we have had in state by far. We got the base line room, which was absolutely GORGEOUS, there was a lovely view, a super deep soaking tub, an amazing rain head shower and all the amenities. The spa was unbelievable, our half day there was worth every penny. We went to a couple of local restaurants for breakfast & lunch but we had dinner there at the resort right after our spa treatment and had the best green chili mac & cheese we have ever had in our life. We only had one complaint - That we did not go a day earlier to have more time there. FABULOUS staff and Highly recommended by two resort and spa connoisseurs!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for the glowing review. We are extremely pleased that we accomplished our goal of making your visit memorable. We look forward to your next visit.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is a beautiful property that could be "5 star" but it is in dis-repair. The casita was spacious and well appointed but the paint was peeling off the wall in the shower area. There was a spider on the floor in the bathroom that I thought was dead but when I picked it up to flush it down the toilet I quickly realized that, not only was it alive, it was a black widow! I wouldn't blame the management for a spider creeping in but I also found a large spider web by the shower area complete with another spider and eggs. I don't know how housekeeping didn't notice it. When I went to make coffee I the morning there was coffee splattered all up the wall near the coffee pot.
You also feel as if they are nickel and diming you through your entire stay. Too bad, it could be great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Karen,
We are so sorry for our oversights which detracted from your visit. We are deeply engaged in improving our facility and procedures and invite you to contact me directly on a return visit so I can personally ensure everything is in order prior to your arrival.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We selected this hotel mostly because we were looking for a spur-of-the-moment place to stay for a ski weekend and I like a little more flair than the average chain hotel. They were willing to accept a 2-night booking placed on a Thursday (most of the other ski places required 3 night minimums at the time I traveled). The room was very stylish, with fur/leather everything and the fireplace was delightful. We were place in a wheelchair accessible room, which meant the walk in shower with the rain head was HUGE and had terrific hot water. I had no complaints about the room.
However I was surprised to find that for the price we paid there was no included breakfast, not even coffee and a donut! They did have a cooked to order breakfast service, but we did not want to lose time getting to the mountain.
The second night we stayed we did try the restaurant and it was average at very best. The menu is priced at the fine dining level but the food quality was not even close and the server was eager but obviously not well trained. There were long gaps between when we would ask for something and when he would bring it, drinks, salads, etc. My husband I wanted to share a salad, he brought one plate which we held to balance across the misaligned edge where the two small tables were pushed together. When the entree came my steak was overcooked, I ordered med-rare and it was med-well. The server apologized but I never saw or heard from a manager or kitchen supervisor. At that point I was hungry, tired and wanted to go to bed. I just ate the $30 dollar, over cooked, over peppered, steak.
Bottom line: we live in driving distance and come up regularly. The room was pretty but for the price paid the experience was not worth it. We will be staying somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed with the family as a base for some skiing between Christmas and New Year. The rooms were nice and large, split between a living room with pull out sofa and the master bedroom. Nice pool and decent bar. The bathroom looked great, but the bath/shower combination was very unpractical and not suitable for people who have trouble climbing (the only way to get in).

Sadly, the restaurant service was average and slow. Breakfast is a la carte only and took forever even when we said we were in a hurry. The bar is decent and the hotel is only a short walk from Taos town with many options and an eclectic feel. All in all, I would certainly stay here again. With a few minor adjustments this could be a great place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DeForest, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night and was able to get a descent price because it's off season! The hotel and the property is enchanting. The staff are very nice and very professional. I said almost perfect but the parking charge. The hotel charge us $20 daily just by parking on their property. Since it's off season , we did not use the Valet service as the parking is wide open and very convenient. But to say that this automatic charge is very disappointing. I just hope they give it to those guys at the front that works so hard!

• Stayed January 2014

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!