“Hotel or museum - take your pick!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Taos
Fishkill, NY
“Hotel or museum - take your pick!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Aside from this hotels's wonderful facilities (great pool area, wonderful restaurant, large beautiful rooms with huge bathrooms, etc), you will want to wander from room to room admiring the great artwork that fill every wall. This is without doubt one of the most enjoyable hotels we have ever visited.

Room Tip: Suites will put you closest to pool and workout room, but if you don't mind a short walk, the ro...

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My fiance and I stayed for one night in a Taos Mountain Room. We visited El Monte to tour the property for our wedding. I can't say enough great things about our short stay.

The Taos Mountain Rooms have been recently updated and they are amazing. Absolutely worth the price. Our room had a glass shower, separate over-sized soaking tub, king bed, gas fireplace, flat-screen TV that we never turned on and our own private deck (we were second floor, the first floor rooms have their own patio).

We ate dinner at the restaurant and the food was very nice, service was great. They also have a cafe for breakfast and lunch, and a bar. We ordered room service the next morning for breakfast, and it was very speedy and everything was hot despite it being 20 degrees outside!

The property is gorgeous, even in the middle of winter. You do have to walk outside to get from your room to the main building where the restaurant is, but that didn't bother us at all, we loved it.

Do note there is a $12 fee per night for parking, whether you self-park or valet, and if you want wireless Internet in your room, there's a daily fee.

Highly recommended, we will stay again.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Taos Mountain Rooms, you can request a room on the second floor for better views...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night while passing through town. We had never been to Taos, and it was a small detour to go but worth it.

First impression was great. The valet was very nice and welcoming. Same with the front desk staff. The property is beautiful, and we were ther in winter. Can only imagine what it is like in the spring and summer. We stayed in a Taos mountain room and loved everything about it. The bathroom was spacious with a huge tub and good sized shower. It was well decorated and comfortable. Loved the fireplace, we enjoyed it while having morning coffee. The balcony was large and I imagine put to good use in the warmer months. We had dinner at the bar and the food was quite good. Make sure you see all the art they have on display, that is a favorite part of Kessler properties.

The property is very close to town, walkable in fact, so the location is fantastic. In our room we were reading about all the classes they offer at the hotel and would love to come back when we have more time. We'll see!

We would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassoday, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently stayed at El Monte Sagrado in Taos New Mexico. This was a ski trip and all around vacation with our adult children and their spouses, which was difficult to arrange everyones schedule, so we were quite anxious that it be perfect as a family vacation at this point in everyones lives was so difficult and special.
El Monte Sagrado truly delivered. We had a Native American Suite for the wife nd I and 3 King Rooms for the kids and spouses. The lodging was excellent, large rooms with huge tubs and walk in showers, large comfortable beds and the dining there was exxcellent as well. The valet's and concierge were so helpful and friendly with where to go and where to eat and their reccommendations were spot on. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: A King Room is almost as goo as a suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bruce R, General Manager at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We strive to make every visit special at El Monte Sagrado!
I am pleased that our valet and concierge staff was helpful in making your trip a memorable one and I will thank them personally!
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Family get-a-way for skiing outing during January 2013 and we could not have asked for better hotel/resort choice. We chose a suite that easily accommodated out family of four very comfortably. We used most of the amenity's the hotel had to offer including the spa, pool/hot whirlpool, bar area for drinks and appetizers and the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The staff's service was friendly and swift with great selection/quality food at reasonable pricing as compared to other like resorts. The ski areas are easily accessible to the hotel and the town of Taos is quaint with great restaurants and shops. We travel extensively and have stayed in many resorts and will look forward returning to the El Monte Sagrado.

Corrales, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We checked in at 4:00 in the middle of a snow storm. It was busy and there was no one to help with the bags or even a luggage cart so we carried the bags in and also after checking in with the front desk we brought them to our room which I thought a bit odd for a four star hotel. We also are Ritz Carlton members and the three page confirmation that was sent to us by Marriott.com stated "Guaranteed free access to the Concierge lounge and free continental breakfast". Upon arrival I was told there is no Concierge lounge and that we would be given a breakfast voucher in the amount of $10.00 PER DAY PER ROOM. I looked at the breakfast menu and the continental breakfast is $14.00. So the voucher does not even cover the cost of breakfast. After speaking to management I was told this is the way it is and has always been and no one but me apparently ever had an issue with their policy. I was sent an email after our stay with a survey requesting our feedback. I gave it to them and then I was bounced around between Marriott.com rewards and the Hotel.They definitely have an internal problem and I felt we were caught in the middle. While making reservations I also requested cookies be left in the room as it was my Husband's Birthday. After we were in the room a gal came and delivered five oatmeal cookies and a glass of milk. (I have no idea why milk as neither of us drink milk.) Upon checking out I saw a charge of $35.97 to our room. I asked about it and was told it was for a "cookie amenity." SERIOUSLY? I have stayed at many fine Hotels for special occasions to find cookies or champagne or chocolate covered strawberries in our room and NEVER have been charged. But to be charged almost $36.00 for five cookies and a glass of milk I did not ask for or did we drink...wow. Management removed the charge and implied they were doing us a favor. After giving my feedback and calls from Marriott customer care and the Hotel, only after Marriott Corporate got involved did they agree to credit back some of our points.The time spent on this was ridiculous. The grounds are beautiful and serene and Melissa in the Gallery shop was wonderful. We stayed in the Caballo casita which is quaint and cozy. Word of caution..if you like your room dark do not stay in that casita. No drapes but only wood slat blinds and the sun comes streaming in. Needless to say we were up bright and shiny! I believe this Hotel has a lot of potential but I do not believe we will return. We will look for another Hotel that concentrates on customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and I want to apologize for the delay in my response. I wanted to fully investigate the problems.
I apologize for the difficulties you had upon arrival and the confirmation letter you received did make for a confusing stay. We have removed the disputed charges and worked to solve those issues.
Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will ensure a smooth arrival and stay.
Again thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing our job!
Bruce Ruggs
Taos, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Living Spa at El Monte Sagrado is not to be missed! As soon as I arrived at the spa I knew it would be a great experience . The staff was very friendly and attentive to my needs. The women's locker room was very clean and the steam room was amazing! I had a facial done by Jessica who was very friendly and really knows her stuff. I had never had a facial and she explained to me her process as well as her products. She had a very gentle touch and was very professional. I have had great pedicures here as well, but this was the best experience yet! I highly recommend her and the resort as a whole.

Also, great pizza in the Anaconda bar is awesome!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!