“Spectacular Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Denver, Colorado
“Spectacular Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed only one night but wished for more. This is wonderful resort with themed rooms and suites. We stayed in a Native American suite: 1 bedroom, living room and a balcony overlooking a serene nature area with a small pond. They offer free shuttle service to the center of Taos. The dining is excellent - there are 2 restaurants and you can go fancy or casual. We had a delicious casual dinner and extremely tasty breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

El Monte Sagrado and the Anaconda Bar are truly a 5 Star Experience! Botanical Garden, Lush Pool, Work Out Facility & Grounds are Amazing! Ask about the Billiards Rooms...Wow! We will be back to Ski Taos Mountain!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

such an amazing property! We were only there for one night but loved our room. We were in the last casita behind the spa so it was very private and from what I understand the only one with kitchen. The rooms - living room with fireplace, bedroom, huge bathroom (with huge tub) and kitchen were all beautiful. If I was ever to go somewhere for a quiet week of pampering I would choose this place (love the fall weather in Taos: warm during the day, cool at night).

It is located a short walk from the town center so the location is perfect. The only negative I would mention is that you can hear the traffic when sitting outside.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have been to NM many times and are so delighted to find this oasis in Taos. It is beautiful and private and made us feel like we were in some exotic location!

We were there over Labor Day with a large group from our car club and enjoyed the ambiance of this hotel.. The room was spacious, modern and very clean and comfortable. We especially enjoyed donning our white terry cloth robes and enjoying room service breakfast on our deck overlooking the amazing grounds! We can't wait to go back!

My only criticism would be the banquet food served at our banquet. It was pretty bad and made a few people in our party ill. The breakfast we had n the hotel dining room was so-so. Would not go back, but there are so many great restaurants n Taos, who cares???

Check this place out, for sure!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm surprised by some of the previous reviews of El Monte Sagrado because we visited the resort this last weekend and LOVED it. Our experience was wonderful from start to finish. We stayed in a Mountain King, and found the furnishings to be modern and upscale. I died over the big soaking tub.... amazing. Having stayed in many five star accommodations, this met my expectations for comfort.
It was our honeymoon and the hotel staff sent chocolate covered strawberries and champagne, which was a glorious touch... and although I typically do not like to dine in hotel restaurants, we were too exhausted to leave on the first night of our stay which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as we had a wonderful meal with great service!
Lastly, I booked a wonderful massage in the spa---typical prices, and relaxing service.

We will surely return!

Room Tip: Great value in the (most recently remodeled, per front desk) Mountain rooms.
Georgetown, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent 4 lovely nights in the Kama Sutra, Global Suite. It was extremely private and quiet. The grounds were beautiful and filled with fruit trees and flowing fountains. It is among my favorite Marriott resorts that I've stayed at. The location is excellent to walk to the plaza section of Taos, yet quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, then check out the global suite section.
Aransas Pass, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Upon arrival, there was ONE desk clerk. The guest he was talking with continued her conversation for probably 10 minutes while we stood in wait. She was asking him questions using a map to locate different locations of interest. He never once looked up to acknowledge our presence until she left. I am 65 years old, and I look my age. For the life of me, I can not understand why this oblivious young man (desk clerk) would place us in a room in the building FARTHEST from reception and the restaurant. We had never stayed there before, so we were unaware of the hotel layout until we finally made the extremely looonnnnggg walk to our room. During the trek, we had to exit the reception/restaurant building, enter building 400, exit that, enter building 500, exit that and enter building 600. And vice versa when we returned to eat dinner at the restaurant. It was cold and dark outside. Although there was lighting, I did not feel safe having to exit the building. I can not, for the life of me, understand why the desk clerk would put seniors in a building FARTHEST from everything. Poor judgement on his part. When we arrived at the room, we found it nasty, in disrepair and it stunk of cigarette smoke and filth. The curtains were so dirty I did not want to touch them to open them. The furniture was old and the paint was falling off. The jacuzzi tub had a big hole in the top with electrician's tape covering it. The sink looked like it had years of residue that had never been cleaned off, the shower door would not close because it was hanging crooked. In a nutshell, we paid $200 for one night in that room, and I've stayed in $80 per night hotel rooms that were cleaner, in better condition and didn't have a foul smell. (Think El Pueblo near the square in Taos). We called and asked for a different room. We were told the manager would call us back. We went to dinner (another long trek) and after dinner stopped by the office. The manager was quite personable and I sincerely believe she did the best she could. But, she didn't have much to work with. We were moved to building 400. The room was just as big a mess, but at least it didn't stink. We didn't shower there because we were afraid we'd catch something, we CERTAINLY didn't get into that nasty jacuzzi tub, and by the looks of it, we weren't really sure if the sheets had been changed after the previous guest. We left EARLY the next morning. It took FOREVER for valet' to get our car. We thought we were going to have to go and get it ourselves. This was our 30th anniversary, thus our reason for the stay at El Monte Sagrado. A hotel we thought fitting of such a celebration. Unfortunately, we believed what we'd read and photos we had seen online about this hotel and chose to stay here. As it turns out, the info. online was misleading. We would not return to this hotel, nor would we recommend anyone we know stay there. I had to chuckle when I saw on this survey that this hotel is one of the "Autograph Collection" hotels. What a shame to have built such a lovely hotel, with such little forethought, and allow it to go into such disrepair. The furniture is old, the paint is worn and missing on the furniture, the upholstery is dirty, the carpet smells to high heaven, the appointments (curtains, upholstery, linens) are filthy, ill-fitting and torn, and the fixtures have not been maintained properly. The walls are so thin that my husband wanted me to tell you he woke up to the sound of someone urinating the next morning. Ick. This hotel is a disgrace. I'd like to know how AAA conjures ratings these days. This hotel looks great from the outside, but once inside is extremely disappointing. C'mon Wyndham, you can do MUCH better.