“Such an awesome get away!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Taos
Boulder, Colorado
“Such an awesome get away!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I booked this mini-vacation away from the kids and it was fantastic. The property is simply gorgeous, with ponds, fountains, little pathways and beautiful fruit trees. The spa, pool and restaurant areas are all like a zen oasis retreat. We were upgraded for free to a Native American suite room, and they were really beautiful with a balcony that overlooked the ponds. Also, you are a 15 minute easy walk to downtown Taos, so it is a very convenient location. We couldn't have planned a better get away for the two of us.
There were just a few minor issues that didn't really bug us, but seemed inconsistent with the 5 star quality of the rest of the hotel. First, our room had a flat screen TV, but not digital picture, so watching TV was annoying (not that we did that much in this hotel anyway). Our suite had an enormous, deep soaker tub, which I loved but could be tricky to get out of, particularly if you had any mobility issues. Also, we had a fridge, but no microwave (even all the cruddy hotels we stayed at along I-25 had microwaves in the room!). The restaurant was just okay - beautiful setting and the food was good, not out of this world, but pricey and somewhat small/limited. I'd recommend evening drinks on the patio, but dinner elsewhere.
Overall, I give it a big recommendation for a couple's get away. We saw a few kids there, but this hotel seems to be a little grown up for children.

Room Tip: The regular rooms (Taos rooms, I think they are) seem like very nice hotel rooms, but the Suites (we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I thought my room and balcony were wonderful and enjoyed my one-night stay here but I agree with other reviewers that there are a few unexpected "disconnect" issues here with service that hold it back from being truly 4-star.

The room was awesome, yet the flat screen TV was showing a double-picture and the cordless phone wouldn't work except when on speaker. I only realized this at night and didn't feel like having maintenance come over, but I was surprised that these issues had somehow never been noticed and fixed before. There was a wedding there for my overnight and I am wondering if the inflated parking charges are because of this place's frequent weddings? These are small issues but I agree with a lot of reviewers that these little issues just don't line up with the rest of the hotel and are unexpected and strange. When checking out, they had somehow already checked me out and weren't sure why or how they did this and it was a mild annoyance since I wanted to settle up to a different card. They were going to have to call the accountant and bah blah blah so I just accepted it but it was an amateur mistake, if you ask me. How did you check me out before I actually checked out? Like most reviewers, I agree that these are "nit-picky" issues to mention, but they just stand out at a resort of this caliber.

I can say that the wedding was not at all obnoxious and did not detract from my relaxation on my balcony so that was great! The fireplace was easy to work and even though it was hot, I fired that puppy up... just because it was there.

In all, I would absolutely recommend and return to this resort, but management really needs to look at the customer service training and clean up some of these small annoyances that are causing all of us to mention them.

The grounds were very pretty and the atmosphere of Taos in general, and especially this hotel, was extremely relaxing and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Littleton, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When you cehck into a hotel, especially a nice one in a resort destination, it is good to feel welcomed - too bad that we felt shunned at the El Monte Sagrado in Taos - they had a large wedding the next day and they were focusing on that, so we were made to feel like we were an imposition - even though the rate was $300/night, we were not as importnat as the people coming in the next day.
So, we made sure we didn't have any meals in the hotel and although we tried to tell the front desk staff then and when we checked out that they turned us off their hotel, we did not feel as if this message was heard.
The front desk staff needs training, although some of the other staff tried very hard.

Room Tip: If you have to have a room with a patio, note that the weeds around the patio do detract from the vi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were on the 2nd floor. Balcony was great for morning coffee. The grounds are just beautiful. They have a neat underground watering system that is eco friendly. The beds were very comfortable. The bathtub was awesome, it was a great oversized one. There was also a walk in shower that was great too. The toiletries smelled and felt so refreshing. We had an ipod dock/alarm by our bed. I had no trouble playing my music off my phone. The decor was so chic. Loved the robes provided so much that I bought one from the gift shop. I do agree the parking and WiFi fee were a little over the top.

Room Tip: Would have loved services from the spa but they were booked till 3 days later for the pedicure we wa...
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for two nights in July 2012 and enjoyed our stay with some exceptions.

What I liked: The grounds are beautiful and serene, with waterfalls, bridges, lovely aspens, green fields, and even a moose statue. My daughter took advantage of the on-site spa and loved it. The fitness center looked amazing, and I was sorry I had not brought my workout clothes. The indoor pool is really nice. Our room had a little patio next to a pond and a little waterfall. It was relaxing to sit out there and read.

We dined in the restaurant twice and the food was good. We were a little puzzled by being the only ones in the restaurant both time, but we were probably there at off times. We chose to walk into town one afternoon and it was a pleasant walk, not too far.

What I didn't care for: After we checked in, I asked if there was a place to get a soda. I was told they do not have any vending machines on site. I thought this was a little odd. I really didn't want to go to the bar for a soda. They didn't even have any food or drink in the gift shop, which is a "gallery." So I guess if you want a snack or a drink, bring your own.

I had read the reviews about the parking and I was concerned. However, we did not have a wedding there that weekend, so there wasn't a problem. It is the same cost to valet or self- park, so if you are worried about overcrowding, have them park it. They do double up even if you self-park, so it may even be best to let them do it.

I had also read about the shower problems, and so when we checked in, I asked the bellman to show up how to change from bath to shower. He said each room was different (!) and climbed into our tub to inspect it and show us how to use it. One really has to climb in and out of this tub, so if you are elderly it is not for you. I could easily see someone fall climbing in or out.

Our room was pleasant enough, but a little dark. The television was in a cabinet, and the door of the cabinet did not stay open. We called maintenance, who did not do anything but leave the chair we had propping it open. The next day it was mysteriously fixed.

These are minor points, I realize. They are enough, however, to rank it four stars instead of five.

Houston TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Had a nice time at this hotel. The location is great, just a 10 minute walk to the plaza, (30 sec. driving). The grounds are very nice and peaceful. I didn't purchase any spa treatments but they do allow guests to use the steam room and the sauna at the spa. I took advantage of that. The indoor pool and hot tub were very nice and clean. I think they might have been salt water because there was not the usual chlorine smell or feel to the water...very nice!
All staff was courteous and helpful. If I were to get picky..the things that annoyed me. $12/day parking fee is kinda stupid. It includes valet but the parking lot is 3 steps away? I just self parked most of the time. Oh, the wi-fi $10/day..stupid too. Overall very nice but don't expect small town prices for anything. Oh...nice Bose clock radio next to bed but no way to play my ipod/iphone on it?? This was a father daughter trip (16 y), did hot air balloon with Paradise, excellent. River rafting with Far Flung, excellent (ask for Hanko, great guy & guide). Great places to eat. El Meze, The Love Apple, great food and great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Oceola room. It was nice. Balcony with view of stream and small water fall. You coul...
Mid-Atlantic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The setting is beautiful and we found the grounds and rooms well-maintained. Enjoyed a delicious dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Excellent choice for a special occasion trip, family reunion, etc. Very convenient to the Plaza, etc. No directions in our room for using the fireplace -- would have appreciated those. We had a ground floor room with a little patio that was nice to sit out on in the evenings. Would go again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!