“A enchanting hotel located at heart of Taos” 5 of 5 stars

Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A enchanting hotel located at heart of Taos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Spent a night a this unique hotel and wish had stayed longer! Room are nicely decorated and ultra comfortable. Staff is extremely attentive and efficient. Shame didn't have time to check out Spa facilities. An excellent choice for a get away weekend! Already looking forward to returning sometime soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I do not know why their restaurant is not rated in the tripadvisor restaurant section. We went there for my wife's birthday a few nights ago and had one of the top three best meals we ever experienced in Taos where we reside. We had the elk tenderloin, mussels, and creme brulee and all were wonderful. The restaurant's setting is luxurious and the prices in line with other high quality restaurants in Taos and Santa Fe.

Ranchos De Taos NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I just went in for my third massage by Heidi Gates at The Living Spa in the El Monte Sagrado. The Spa is beautiful and relaxing and the walk through the courtyard to get there always reminds me to slow down! I've had a scrub, rock treatment and today a deep tissue massage. I feel GREAT! Everything from Jessica who greeted me at the door to the towels, robes, products, sauna, treatment and massage room were perfect. I highly recommend Heidi for anything that ails you!

Room Tip: The whole place is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Greensboro, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Although the resort is beautiful, and the room very comfortable the $ 12.00 a day parking is ridiculous. I saw absolutely no reason for this since parking at the resort is adequate. Also charging for Internet access left us with a bad taste. If these two charges were eliminated I would recommend this resort.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I had a massage at the spa and it was wonderful. Heidi Gates was great. It was awsome after skiing. Thanks Heidi

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

El Monte Sagrado offers beautiful architecture, decoration* and grounds. We stayed there on March 14, 2012 based on a recommendation by a friend who was incredibly impressed with the environmentally friendly infrastructure. We were not disappointed. The room in theTaos mountain section was lovely and the service throughout the hotel was excellent. The on site restaurant provided meals that were a notch above typical hotel restaurants. It was wonderful to walk over to the spa for a rejuvenating massage. All in all a very positive experience.

*The one exception to the elegant decoration of the hotel is the tacky red lights in the dining room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at El Monte Sagrado on your most recent visit to Taos. Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Kind regards,
Lindsay Gartrell
Guest Experiences Specialist
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

El Monte is a gorgeous hotel, has beautifully decorated rooms, a fabulous location, great food and friendly staff. It has all the right ingredients to be 5 star resort, but their delivery is off. The hotel lobby and common areas are indeed fabulous. However, I noticed that the ladies room next to the pool/spa area needed to be cleaned when we arrived, however, rather than cleaning it, an "out of order" sign appeared on the door several hours later. This was very inconvenient when my daughter and i needed to change to use the spa. If someone had just gone in and cleaned the bathroom, it would have been available for guest use. The pool/spa area is lovely, but there were several wet towels thrown on the floor, why didn't staff pick them up? Yes, guests should not be such slobs, but in such a beautiful resort, you would expect staff to be on the spot to make everything right again. Our room (we stayed in Taos Mountain Room) was very attractive, beamed ceilings, fireplace, beautiful furnishings, sliding door to small patio, but the noise in the hallway was awful. I do not know if these guests were all screaming at 7 am or if the sound proofing is just very poor.

I was unhappy that I was given a handicap room. I must say it was the most attractive and functional wheelchair accessible layout I had ever seen, however, it did not provide much privacy when sharing a bathroom with your family. The bathroom was beautiful, one side of the bathroom had a lovely suede curtain that contained a beautiful shower area complete with pull down seat, the other side of the bathroom had a suede curtain that contained a very large toilet area, perfect for use with a walker or wheelchair. in the center of the room was a very attractive sink. The faucet was positioned in such a way, that the the water ran all over the counter top every time you tried to use it. I did ask to change rooms (as I was traveling with children and wanted more bathroom privacy) but I was told there were no other rooms available other than one other handicap room. The manager did send down a lovely cheese and fruit platter as an apology. This was very nice of her, but I would have preferred a more private bathroom with a bathtub. Our room was also very dark. I called the front desk to ask for a missing light bulb to be replaced, but no one ever replaced it.

On the upside, since we arrived early, the staff was kind enough to give us directions to the ski area and a discount coupon for ski rental in Taos. She also recommended we stop at Abe's for lunch--great recommendation, try the breakfast burrito! The El Monte dining room is beautiful, my son had a Bison burger (loved it) and I had Portabello Mushroom (excellent), delicious food at a great price. I would consider staying again, especially if management made the necessary changes to make this property the 5 star experience it should and could be.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent visit to El Monte Sagrado. While we are pleased you found our hotel ambiance pleasing and would consider returning for another visit, we do apologize for the several service issues you experienced throughout your stay. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Kind regards,
Lindsay Gartrell
Guest Experiences Specialist

Been to El Monte Sagrado, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!