“Gluten free Mexican! Wahoo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cueva Cafe

La Cueva Cafe
135 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571-5946 (Formerly Rellenos Cafe)
575-758-7001
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Houston, Texas
“Gluten free Mexican! Wahoo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

For the first time ever, I had the pleasure to experience gluten free Mexican food and Wow! What a difference! The food was tasty and I didn't feel all bloated and heavy at the end of the meal. They even had gluten free chips! In fact, almost everything on the menu could be ordered gluten free. It's a small establishment, but they have a huge success in their gluten free recipies.

The restaurant has a charming little outdoor patio with umbrellas behind the main building, making a nice place to enjoy your meal in the evening. It started to rain really hard when we were there so we moved into their back dining room, a cozy little room set off behind the main building. We had walked to the restaurant that eventing and didn't have any umbrellas with us, and the rain was coming down really hard, so one of our party volunteered to walk back home to get the car. The owner of La Cueva allowed him to use one of the umbrellas from the tables on his walk home. He brought the umbrella back in the car and retrieved the rest of us sissies. It was really nice of the the owner to lend the umbrella! That shows what kind of customer service they have!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Norman, Oklahoma, United States
“Excellent food, very popular spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a fantastic place. I have never had such tasty shrimp enchiladas, and the chiles rellenos were great. The prices were very reasonable.

They were having a problem that night, only one chef was on duty, so they did get a little backed up. Snotty tourist people left... Thank goodness! I stayed and we had one of the best meals ever. You are embarrassing me, overly demanding tourist people... If you are in such a big hurry, stop complaining and go eat fast food.

I'm definitely going back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“You have to be kidding”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there last night about 7 pm. We were 3rd in line to be seated. Took about 10 minutes, that was because the 2 groups in front of us gave up and left. As we waited 3 tables left, 1 said they had been waiting an hour still had not recieved the chips and salsa they had ordered. Long story short it took 30 minutes to get our chips and salsa. I kept asking they to bring it or I am sure we would still be there. Food was ok, but had to ask for silverware, my wife did't get what she ordered. how do you screwup a Taco. if you don't have time for 3 hour mexican, don't do it.

Visited July 2013
Lubbock, Texas
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Inside is cramped but patio is spacious! Great service and food is spectacular. Guac and salsa are very good and the beef chimis with red sauce were fabulous! Highly recommend this diamond in the rough!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pueblo, Colorado
“Excellent place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My girlfiend and I stopped in for dinner, great service, fantastic food and friendly staff made this a pleaseant place to dine. The prices were fantastic and I will definitely eat there again. They do not serve alcohol so you'll need to get your drink elsewhere.
also, they cook gluten free if that's important to you.

Visited June 2013