“Looking for Minestrone” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
“Looking for Minestrone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My purpose in going to Stella's was to eat minestrone. I had just made some and was dissatisfied with it, so going to an Italian restaurant (in Taos?) would settle my quest for the right taste of this soup, so I thought. As usual, the tomato aspect of Italy is overdone. I am from Massachusetts and I do not like Italian restaurants for that reason...too much tomato, as if there is no other Italian food but tomato sauce or gravy as they call it there. And so the minestrone was not only with too much tomato, but no cannellini beans. The base of true minestrone is a bean broth which tones down the tomato which these days has become a canned version, not the tomatoes left on the fire for hours, or days. It was not the minestrone I know, but people everywhere take liberties in their food. It's not as if there are no beans in N. Mexico. Perhaps the proprietor, who owns the Bistro down the street, does not like beans?
The special of the day was a salmon with a pesto and vegetables in alfredo sauce over pasta, the details escape me - which pesto, which pasta? But what does not escape me is that the vegetables were the exact same ones as the soup. It's as if the veggies are added later to expedite the process of cooking. That's ok by me, but the idea of the dissatisfying minestrone lingered over the nicer meal. I have to add that ordering salmon that does not specify wild means you are getting farmed and farmed should not be eaten due to gross conditions of farmed salmon (see a National Geographic article from the 80's and subsequent information since then).
The atmosphere is great, including some Italian music, interspersed with Mexican and who knows what? The waiter was also the cook and the busboy that day. But he did a fine job of getting it all done. There were only two tables occupied, mine included on that occasion, yet, just my demands kept him busy.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Corona del Mar, California
“Where's the Service?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Seated in the charming patio (we were offered inside or outdoors) right away, we had high expectations for this newly opened place. Water and bread and olive oil arrived right away. Nice beginning. Then our drink orders caused everything to fall apart. We wanted beer to go with the anticipated pizzas. Our server was underage and left to get someone else to finish the service. We waited. And waited. An ominous sign: the other waitress (the one who had greeted us at the door and showed us to our outdoor table - not the underage busboy) was observed delivering food to another patio table and then taking her totebag and traipsing off down the street - shift over, gone home. No one came to our table for the next 20 minutes as we finished the bread, sipped the water, and left. The manager had made himself scarce. Bread and oil were very good.

• Visited August 2011
“Great italain food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

Delicious food, great prices. The olive oil bar for dipping bread was a treat. Cute italain decor.

• 5 of 5 stars Food