“Fresh Food, Friendly Service, Very Taos.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Los Angeles, California
“Fresh Food, Friendly Service, Very Taos.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We love love this little restaurant. The food is freshly made, the specials change daily, the breads are freshly made. The service may not be ultra fast (sometimes), but the staff are kind, friendly and caring, and besides this is Taos, not Manhattan - chill, enjoy the ambiance.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

dc
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Rude and unhelpful staff. Filthy place with confusing seating/wait status. I was snapped at when I asked for an Israeli salad with cucmbers and tomatoes-as this is what an Israeli salad consists of. I had been served a soggy salad with 98 % wilted Romaine lettuce. I was barked at " it comes pre prepared and we cannot make it with only cucumbers and tomatoes." This was my third and final disappointment with this unkempt nasty place.

Visited June 2011
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“Fresh, whole, delicious food in a relaxed environment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

This place rocked. In 25 years of trying every middle eastern restaurant I have encountered, El Gamal is by far the BEST! So fresh, so delicious, so whole. Very clean and fresh Challah on Friday. Thank you for cooking for us. A MUST if you like this style of food, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol UK
“Great little Israeli / Middle Eastern food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stopped in during Dec 2010 and had several desserts and side orders to share between 6 of us, along with Turkish tea.

The service was very good (but we were the only patrons), we all enjoyed the food, and the desserts excellent. I think all the options were vegetarian and all seemed to be home made. I've travelled in this part of the world and can vouch for the authenticity of the food.

I'm pretty sure is was called the "The Camel" outside, and there is also an outline of a huge camel outside. If your tired of the overpriced shops nearby and need to find an oasis for a snack and a drink, I highly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Misawa, Japan
“trying to be hip only goes so far”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We found El Gamal in early July 2010, and were immediately excited as my entire family loves the type of food listed on the menu. Sadly, the food was mediocre, the restaurant was dirty, and the staff was more concerned with their own hipness meters than dealing with customers. It was bad enough to see the rude woman at the counter make customers standing right in front of her wait for her to tip bits of food from a cup into her wide open mouth (with her head fully tilted back), while dancing to some CD clearly picked for it's cool factor. Worse yet when a guy brought us food and set it down on what was arguably the cleanest table we could find (though still totally full of crumbs and debris) without a thought of helping clean it up. You'd think my moving the plates to clean the table would have been a hint that the rest of the place was filthy, but alas, it wasn't. I know I wasn't alone in my concerns about the hygiene, as I saw other people carefully examining the glasses at the serve-yourself water fountain (which at least had glasses at all by that point). But the final problem was the the food just wasn't any good. I even let my daughter pour a bunch of honey from a stick she'd gotten at the market all over her crappy granola just to make it bearable.

I read a bio of the owner, and he sounds like a great guy. I just hope he stops in now and then to see why people are leaving.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere