“Fantastic place to stay in Taos!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Territorial House

The Territorial House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taos
The Territorial House
Save Saved
You added The Territorial House to your Saves list
114 Padre Martinez Lane, Taos, NM 87571   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Specialty lodging in Taos
Norman, Oklahoma
“Fantastic place to stay in Taos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I found out about the Territorial House through a friend. Once we saw the photos from their website and how close it was to the historic plaza and art galleries we were sold. We stayed at the 'Chicken Coop' but were also given a tour of the main house. Everything is up to date and stunning. The house, the chicken coop and the casitas each have their own private hot tubs which were fantastic after getting off of the slopes! You are one block from the plaza so everything is within walking distance. Once we arrived we did not get into our car except for the short trip up to the ski valley (very easy to get to).
In short, our expectations were far surpassed by this lovely historic house and we will definitely be going back!
-This trip was just my wife and I but we are planning on taking our kids next time because it is spacious enough for families as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I hesitate to open this gem to the world, we were so surprised to be the only guests in this lovely, historic compound. I think it was the best place we've stayed in the 20 years of visiting Taos. We stayed 7 nights & highly recommend it for couples, but see comments. Location is excellent. The living area is so spacious and loaded with high-end amenities, decor, we were shocked, the place is really spectacular! High-end wet-bar that got plenty of use! The bed is queen size and we are use to king so didn't sleep as well, but the bedding, blankets were very cozy, less the cobwebs on the corners of the dust ruffle. The huge front windows have custom leather cushions and pillows so you can view the millions of stars at night - very romantic. The windows could have been cleaned for a better view and I couldn't figure out how to open them to let the breeze in (not tall enough). The floors and baths are all flagstone so we don't understand why they don't allow dogs. If yo can afford to vacation here & own dogs, they are probably spoiled & have well behaved owners. The hot tub outside was the cleaneast we have ever used in Taos - no yellow jackets hanging around the water pipes. Best ever hot tub - sexy! Issue with tiny white bugs/millions flying in our wine and face and in the front door, when opened. I purchased a fly swater which didn't help. There is more than enough room for all your luggage in the closets and extra blankets and pillows. I truly love the Chicken Coop with it' high ceilings and Sony Bravia TV with theatre sound system; made it fun to watch movies and listen to the local radio. We got the impression that this is a place rarely used b/c we saw lots of tiny (fast) black spiders in the 2 front couches in the fireplace room with spider webs by the chili ristras, and we think mice droppings (I just brushed them quickly under the couch so my husband didn't see them while we were there). We saw the caretaker a fews days into our stay and I asked him for a vacuum cleaner so I sucked up what I saw, but caution if you open the sofas - you will want to check - I couldn't catch the big wolf spider that kept peeking out & running back (sofa closest to the TV/left corner). All of the sofas are high-end quality and comfortable. My husband was upset for what it cost to have these issues and wanted to leave but I told him that its not a big deal. It was our decision to purchase quality toilet paper & kleenex, trash bags (you empty your own trash), which we didn't mind, but we did fill up the kitchen trash daily (they should have stocked us with a weeks worth of supplies). The first day I purchased a toilet brush & bowl cleaner to clean the two toilets (brown rings), and I wiped them down with Clorox wipes. The maid doesn't know how to clean. You could see where she sprayed and never wiped the toilet lid (either forgot or yuck). The towels were high-end, we just like to shower twice a day, plus the hot tub and we used their W/D to wash all the bath towels every other day. The bathroom decor is really spectacular (one has a mission door with old lock) and spacious - the shower/hot steamer was all flagstone and huge, worked very well, though bottom of shower floor felt a little grimey - wasn't sure if it was the soap residue or just us. The water is slow to drain, so your feet were in a couple inches of water during your shower. The one safety issue that concerned us, is that the inside visitors should have their own deadbolt on both doors so they know they are alone and no surprises! Hate to complain, but I still love this place!

Room Tip: Romantic, private, relaxing; you won't want to leave!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed here recently on our honeymoon, in Casita A (one of the smaller spaces) but we had the whole compound to ourselves. It's not a traditional hotel or even a bed & breakfast; it's more like home away from home. There's a caretaker, but we arrived late in the evening and didn't even meet him, he just left us keys by the door. The place is decorated in bright colors by a local artist, and stocked with what you need: a full if small kitchen, coffee, tea, water bottles in the fridge, and a few fans in the closet. There's no A/C, but the desert gets cool at night, and you'll probably be out during the day enjoying town. The compound is literally one block away from the town plaza, in walking distance of almost everything in town. The bed was a little creaky, but our own private outdoor hot tub and patio made up for any minor flaws. If you're not looking for a full service accommodation with someone to pamper you, and just want to pamper yourself, Taos Territorial is the place to do it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Territorial House? Share your experiences!